Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why did Gary the "new guy without an ego" write lyrics for "Eddie's" album?

VHIII is Eddie's album. We know this. He wrote the lyrics for and sang a song. He played most of the bass, his cut down on Mike and Alex's backing vocals, he played quite a bit of the drums and his synths are all over the place. No one was in control but him.

Everyone always says "Gary didn't have the ego; Roth became huge with Eddie and Hagar already had an ego since he was a star and a solo artist so not used to sharing the limelight" and "part of why the album is all Eddie is because neither Gary nor the producer had the balls to stop him, because they weren't famous enough in the field to have the ego".

Yet Christe's "Everybody Wants Some" states that Gary wrote lyrics and gave them to Eddie. Something Van Halen had never done - writing lyrics first then making Eddie put music to it, instead of the other way around.

Doesn't this strike you people as strange? That a guy supposedly lacking confidence to influence the band made them change songwriting approach completely to suit him?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Elfoid_TFS View Post
    VHIII is Eddie's album. We know this. He wrote the lyrics for and sang a song. He played most of the bass, his cut down on Mike and Alex's backing vocals, he played quite a bit of the drums and his synths are all over the place. No one was in control but him.

Everyone always says "Gary didn't have the ego; Roth became huge with Eddie and Hagar already had an ego since he was a star and a solo artist so not used to sharing the limelight" and "part of why the album is all Eddie is because neither Gary nor the producer had the balls to stop him, because they weren't famous enough in the field to have the ego".

Yet Christe's "Everybody Wants Some" states that Gary wrote lyrics and gave them to Eddie. Something Van Halen had never done - writing lyrics first then making Eddie put music to it, instead of the other way around.

Doesn't this strike you people as strange? That a guy supposedly lacking confidence to influence the band made them change songwriting approach completely to suit him?
    My understanding is that Gary had various bits, poems, groups of lyrics that Ed asked to see when they first got together. Ed said he was so inspired by the words that he decided to write music to them as opposed to the other way around. I don't think it was a matter of Gary coming in and forcing Ed to write music to his words. I'm not sure where you're coming from. Are you saying that in fact Gary has a huge ego problem, so much so that he forced the issue with his lyrics and had Ed change the Van Halen songwriting formula for him?

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

You can also sit around all day and analyze this, but it is still the same thing at the end of the day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:31 PM
    Liked 1,611 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    You can also sit around all day and analyze this, but it is still the same thing at the end of the day.

Pudding?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:24 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Dammit VS!

The only reason I come into these VHIII threads is to see how long it will take for the "VH III is Underrated" picture to get posted, and you left it out!

PS Oingo Boingo!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Donor

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Elfoid_TFS View Post

Last Online

Donor

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Gary did his best. A few of the songs were really good. I blame Eddie for the failure of III.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

The lyric thing, I'm sure, was Eddie's move. It sounds to me like the entire thing was rushed. Eddie was very inspired by the lyrics and had a whole new wind of creativity blown through him. Eddie wrote what was in his head without anyone else's input and Gary sang his lyrics in one or two takes. Eddie was so excited about his new direction and Gary was so blinded by Eddie's reputation that both probably didn't work with each other much to smooth out some issues. Gary can sing a lot better than that. I bet you anything he was not pleased with his performance on a lot of songs and wished he had the time to fix things. The problem is, every other VH album was so well received that Eddie was probably a bit jaded. Had they both had the time to go back and redo VH3, I think a lot of things would have changed. That's why I wish they had released the followup album.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    The lyric thing, I'm sure, was Eddie's move. It sounds to me like the entire thing was rushed. Eddie was very inspired by the lyrics and had a whole new wind of creativity blown through him. Eddie wrote what was in his head without anyone else's input and Gary sang his lyrics in one or two takes. Eddie was so excited about his new direction and Gary was so blinded by Eddie's reputation that both probably didn't work with each other much to smooth out some issues. Gary can sing a lot better than that. I bet you anything he was not pleased with his performance on a lot of songs and wished he had the time to fix things. The problem is, every other VH album was so well received that Eddie was probably a bit jaded. Had they both had the time to go back and redo VH3, I think a lot of things would have changed. That's why I wish they had released the followup album.
    I've always felt that a follow up would have been incredible!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

+1 on that. I was looking forward to that second VH Mach 3 album.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

It's disappointing the follow-up was never completed and released.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

Funny seeing people wanting a follow-up, when that would have happened had the reaction not been so ill-received in the first place.

We can go round and round on whether III was a pile of shit or not, but at the end of the day, that album did not have the "signature sounds" of previous albums and THAT is the reason the average van halen album buyer didn't want it. Had it'd been rehashed crap, but 4/4 balls to the wall Panama vibe with Mikey's backing lyrics, it would have been A-okay. Blame the production, Gary, the lyrics, or anything... but for the average listener... it didn't have the signature vh sound that most people require to fulfill their sad familiarized lives.