Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Default EVH Art Series sound...

Hey guys,
    I'm a pretty die hard EBMM EVH and more so, the Axis guitar fan. They fit me well, love the looks, feel and sound. I have kind of itch to build a strat style guitar. I am wondering what the production model EVH Art series guitars sound like in comparison to the EBMM and Wolfgangs? Reason being, I'd know what type of woods to use. I'm guessing I'd just use basswood, I think I'd do a solid paint color. I'd probably get one done through Warmoth. Does anyone have a strat done without body contours? I always thought that would be kinda cool...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm a pretty die hard EBMM EVH and more so, the Axis guitar fan. They fit me well, love the looks, feel and sound. I have kind of itch to build a strat style guitar. I am wondering what the production model EVH Art series guitars sound like in comparison to the EBMM and Wolfgangs? Reason being, I'd know what type of woods to use. I'm guessing I'd just use basswood, I think I'd do a solid paint color. I'd probably get one done through Warmoth. Does anyone have a strat done without body contours? I always thought that would be kinda cool...
    Yes, the Art Series guitars were solid basswood with a hard rock maple neck (12"-16" compound radius, I believe). I don't recall what pickup was in it (SD '78?).

For other body options check out:

http://www.kneguitars.com/
    http://www.mightymite.com/bodies/index.html
    https://www.musikraft.com/

And of course we have a few builders here on the Links who all do excellent work.

Last Online

Ah Charvel body is a cooler idea! OK, what about a mahogany body? I like how Les Pauls sound. Some say mahogany is too dark sounds though? I think I'd like to use a duncan custom, with just a volume.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Ah Charvel body is a cooler idea! OK, what about a mahogany body? I like how Les Pauls sound. Some say mahogany is too dark sounds though? I think I'd like to use a duncan custom, with just a volume.
    Basswood is also dark sounding. Mahogany is an excellent tonal wood and is my second favorite next to basswood with a maple cap. I'm about to do a Wolfgang replica with a mahogany body.

Last Online

Cool, what pickups are you using? Adding anything else custom to it?
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Cool, what pickups are you using? Adding anything else custom to it?
    The body will be mahogany with a 1/4" spalted maple cap; it will be naturally finished with Tru-Oil. The neck is a birdseye Wolfgang replica made by Frankenstraat. The pickups are stock Peavey Wolfgang. The hardware will all be chrome, except the Floyd which is a Ping identical to the Peaveys, but it's satin finished. It'll have a single volume knob, and the 3-way switch will be lower (like on an Axis). At this point I have all the parts on hand except the body, which has still yet to be made.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    The body will be mahogany with a 1/4" spalted maple cap; it will be naturally finished with Tru-Oil. The neck is a birdseye Wolfgang replica made by Frankenstraat. The pickups are stock Peavey Wolfgang. The hardware will all be chrome, except the Floyd which is a Ping identical to the Peaveys, but it's satin finished. It'll have a single volume knob, and the 3-way switch will be lower (like on an Axis). At this point I have all the parts on hand except the body, which has still yet to be made.
    You mind telling me how much that neck is going to cost you and how I can get in contact with Frankenstraat? (you can PM it if you want to).

Thanks.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    You mind telling me how much that neck is going to cost you and how I can get in contact with Frankenstraat? (you can PM it if you want to).

Thanks.
    Info via PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IMO the best wood for an awesome "Brown Sound" tone is Northern Ash (the heavy stuff).
    That and a custom made pup, my guitars are amazingly close.
    If you snag a SD 59 or the new GHS VEH you'll also good results.
    Floyd with a brass block is also a must.
    Be carefull of necks with a ton of birdseye due to twisting problems in the future.
    They look and feel awesome, but most have a tendency to twist over time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Basswood is also dark sounding. Mahogany is an excellent tonal wood and is my second favorite next to basswood with a maple cap. I'm about to do a Wolfgang replica with a mahogany body.
    now thats gonna be awsome. i have always liked the les paul custom sound with the 498t in it. one of the best tones out there in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    IMO the best wood for an awesome "Brown Sound" tone is Northern Ash (the heavy stuff).
    That and a custom made pup, my guitars are amazingly close.
    If you snag a SD 59 or the new GHS VEH you'll also good results.
    Floyd with a brass block is also a must.
    Be carefull of necks with a ton of birdseye due to twisting problems in the future.
    They look and feel awesome, but most have a tendency to twist over time.
    Have you actually tried out the GFS VEH pickup? Is it any good?
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    Naw. But I've talked to a couple guys that slapped em in guitars.
    They both say, for the money, they're great. They had em in alder. I know one did. He said its a little brighter then a 59. So thats why Im figuruing they may sound good in ash.
    Never heard it in ash though.
    May not be worth the crapshoot huh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 725 Times in 342 Posts

I just ordered the GFS VEH pickup, and it should be here Monday. Actually, I ordered one a week ago, and it was delivered last Tuesday, but I screwed up and ordered the neck pickup instead of the bridge. I figured that I would just install the pickup in the neck position of my guitar instead of returning it, and just order the bridge position. I had a HSS pickguard, so I had to cut the hole to fit the pickup in the neck position.

Anyway:

The guitar that the pickup will be going in is a Alder bodied Mexican, Floyd equipped Fender Strat with a swimming pool route.

I've owned the Axis, the Wolfgang, and I currently own the EVH Art Series RWB. I have also had a Tone Zone installed in a 1987 B.C. Rich Gunslinger (not sure of the wood type on that guitar), and a SD Custom Custom installed in a 1986 Kramer Focus 2000 with a Maple body.

Once I have installed the GFS pickup, I'll post my impression as compared to the other combinations that I've used.

Just a quick note about one pickup in particular:
    I had heard that the Tone Zone was as close to the Axis pickup that you can get. I'm a huge fan of the Axis/EBMMEVH tone, so I put the Tone Zone in my Gunslinger to come as close to the tone of my Axis as possible. I don't know whether it was the pickup, or the type of wood the guitar was made of, but I did not like the tone of this pickup in this guitar. Did not even come close to an Axis. I would not recommend using this pickup unless you were installing it into a basswood or mahogony bodied guitar with a maple cap.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    It is incredible. I'm still waiting to record some sound samples of it, but hopefully those will be done soon, and I'll post them here. The VEH is just as good as any Duncan or Dimarzio, for half the price. (Like every GFS pickup I have tried so far.) No, they don't make cheaper Duncan/DiMarzio clones -- but they do make very great unique/slightly different sounding pickups.

I have the VEH in what I think is a balsa wood guitar (ultra cheap and light strat copy body) and it really sounds like the original Frankie. The wood makes it slightly too bright and trebly, but I can tell it is VERY close. It is super dynamic, breaks up perfectly on riffs like the opening to Unchained, and sounds accurate and clean when you roll back the volume.

One thing to consider though: on the Lead channel of a 5150, set up for a 90's ed tone, this pickup sounds like garbage. The extra gain on the 5150 makes it sound way too harsh and shrill. But if you use the Rhythm channel set up to sound like Ed's old Marshall, it is amazing. If this pickup is really as accurate to the original as they say, then I think I know why Ed didn't ever end up using the Frankie on the Balance tour...
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 01.17.09 at 10:06 AM.

Last Online

It'll have a single volume knob, and the 3-way switch will be lower (like on an Axis).
    Funny you mention the switch position. I always thought the EVH MM position was a cool idea until they moved it and I much prefer the Axis setup! It's simple, clean and aesthetically pleasing. Makes sense that the controls are right below your strum...

Can't wait to see your guitar come to life!
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.