Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

04.15.14 @ 03:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VAN HALEN NOT PLAYING UK DOWNLOAD 09

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...ying-download/

Damn!

Van Halen won’t be heading to our shores any time soon and we find out why from Download Festival Organizer, Andy Copping. You can also cross Aerosmith off of this year’s list but ZZ Top are a possibility. It’s all inside!

What about Van Halen for this year’s Download? Is it zeroes on the chequebook and that’s what would bring them over?

“It’s beyond that,” admits Copping. “It’s totally beyond that. What you have to realise with Van Halen is that they make so much money in America, they can continue to tour and go back to play places that they’ve already played and they sell out, sell out, sell out. The money that they were raking in the US was huge and what people forget is that Van Halen weren’t that big an act in the UK and Europe. They’d probably be one of my favourite acts ever with Dave Lee Roth, I love them, and I would love them to come over and play. Whether it’s Download or dates or whatever”

“They need a certain amount of money to make it work which is, quite frankly, ugly but the reality of it is that they don’t want to be on the road together, they think Europe’s cold, they don’t want to be on a tour bus or in a place with David Lee Roth regardless of what you see onstage, the band go off one side of the stage and Dave goes off the other, his dressing room is as far away from theres as is humanly possible in a venue…these guys don’t get on.”

“Onstage, you wouldn’t know it, but it’s tough,” continues Copping. “Why would they leave there own country when they’re making so much money? Why would they come here for less money when they’re at home out there too? I saw 3 shows on the tour and it’s fucking incredible. We’ve had the same situation with Aerosmith. The money in the states is so good, why would they bother? That’s not a slight to their fans or anything like that but they can bleed the American market because the desire’s always there to see the band. That’s where it is with the Van Halen camp.”

Copping also compared the Van Halen situation to the state of affairs that kept Aerosmith from returning to European shores for a full 9 years.

“I think Van Halen will probably make it here at some stage, lord knows when, but it will possibly be when things have dried up in the US. Aerosmith played in Hyde Park last year and we’d been trying to snare them for 5 years. The reason that they’ve not been because they could always go out in the US. “We’ll put you out with Kiss” and they were drawing such a huge amount of money that they let that to dry up and that’s when they said “we’ll head to Europe” and that’s what I think will happen with Van Halen. It’ll get to a point where they cannot play the US anymore, they’ll come to Europe.”

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Seems about right!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

They don't get along?! Oh no! Those perfectly staged photos of the band hanging out backstage are a lie! They're phonies! Big fat phonies!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    They don't get along?! Oh no! Those perfectly staged photos of the band hanging out backstage are a lie! They're phonies! Big fat phonies!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so they don't get along. That's another thing that seems to bring out a lot of emotion around here. As if they are obligated to get along for the sake of the fans, or at least not take photos of themselves smiling in order to avoid the most evil of internet accusations: that of hypocrisy. What kind of photos would one expect? Pictures of them arguing? Douglas Coupland said something really fascinating about photographs once...I don't have the book in front of me so I'll have to paraphrase. He said that photographs are inherently full of lies because they take a given image and make it permanent for all time. He was describing those family photos we all got at portrait studios. How everyone smiles and is wearing nice clothes and they paint a picture of a happy family and leave out all the dysfunction.

If we're going to make an issue out of VH trying to put forth some sort of image that the guys and DLR get along and are buddies, I suppose we should feel the same away about our family portraits.

Just because they aren't best friends and sole mates doesn't mean they don't have happy moments here and there and it doesn't mean that a given photo was particularly staged or is fake, it just means it's a photograph. Assuming they were completely staged, and Ed had to be dragged from his room where he was sprawled out on the floor piles of meth, a couple of underage vietnamese hookers and a kiddie pool overflowing with moonshine where the air vents blew second handsmoke and forced him to smile for a picture with DLR who similarly had to be pulled kicking and screaming out of his dressing room 3 miles away and given nitrous oxide to force a smile out of his face so they could take a few shots...I still don't particularly care.

Yeah Ed has his way of saying everyone is his brother blah blah blah but to me that's just fodder for laughter. I don't really see the need to "hold accountable" or "take him to task" for comments like that because I hear people say all the same shit when they get in and out of relationships, when they get back together with ex girlfriends or go back to a job they previously said they hated. I'd much rather hear him say shit like that then "man, the guy's a prick, but at this point in my career it's the only thing that seems worth doing. Everything I want to do is going to suck as far as commercial appeal so what the hell, this is what people want, this is what they get. Fuck it. Just keep that jew ninja ballerina chick away from me until it's show time."

actually, that would be pretty damn funny to read or hear come out of his mouth.

NOTE: NoAverageJoe, I'm not directing this little rant at you personally. Your post sort of inspired it but not out of any sort of bitterness towards you. I'm more talking about general sentiments, which I think you were just sort of poking fun at more than anything. I hope you don't take any sort of offense or anything like that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Some of the many naive linkers will have their hearts broken. Boo-hoo.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polo Muncher View Post

Damn!

Van Halen won’t be heading to our shores any time soon and we find out why from Download Festival Organizer, Andy Copping. You can also cross Aerosmith off of this year’s list but ZZ Top are a possibility. It’s all inside!

What about Van Halen for this year’s Download? Is it zeroes on the chequebook and that’s what would bring them over?

“It’s beyond that,” admits Copping. “It’s totally beyond that. What you have to realise with Van Halen is that they make so much money in America, they can continue to tour and go back to play places that they’ve already played and they sell out, sell out, sell out. The money that they were raking in the US was huge and what people forget is that Van Halen weren’t that big an act in the UK and Europe. They’d probably be one of my favourite acts ever with Dave Lee Roth, I love them, and I would love them to come over and play. Whether it’s Download or dates or whatever”

“They need a certain amount of money to make it work which is, quite frankly, ugly but the reality of it is that they don’t want to be on the road together, they think Europe’s cold, they don’t want to be on a tour bus or in a place with David Lee Roth regardless of what you see onstage, the band go off one side of the stage and Dave goes off the other, his dressing room is as far away from theres as is humanly possible in a venue…these guys don’t get on.”

“Onstage, you wouldn’t know it, but it’s tough,” continues Copping. “Why would they leave there own country when they’re making so much money? Why would they come here for less money when they’re at home out there too? I saw 3 shows on the tour and it’s fucking incredible. We’ve had the same situation with Aerosmith. The money in the states is so good, why would they bother? That’s not a slight to their fans or anything like that but they can bleed the American market because the desire’s always there to see the band. That’s where it is with the Van Halen camp.”

Copping also compared the Van Halen situation to the state of affairs that kept Aerosmith from returning to European shores for a full 9 years.

“I think Van Halen will probably make it here at some stage, lord knows when, but it will possibly be when things have dried up in the US. Aerosmith played in Hyde Park last year and we’d been trying to snare them for 5 years. The reason that they’ve not been because they could always go out in the US. “We’ll put you out with Kiss” and they were drawing such a huge amount of money that they let that to dry up and that’s when they said “we’ll head to Europe” and that’s what I think will happen with Van Halen. It’ll get to a point where they cannot play the US anymore, they’ll come to Europe.”

Did we REALLY need to be told that they WEREN'T going to play there?

That's kind of like somebody making it a point to tell me that a fine Brazilian call girl WON'T be at my door with a bag of cocaine tomorrow morning.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    NOTE: NoAverageJoe, I'm not directing this little rant at you personally. Your post sort of inspired it but not out of any sort of bitterness towards you. I'm more talking about general sentiments, which I think you were just sort of poking fun at more than anything. I hope you don't take any sort of offense or anything like that.
    It's all good. And I agree with your points.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    so they don't get along. That's another thing that seems to bring out a lot of emotion around here. As if they are obligated to get along for the sake of the fans, or at least not take photos of themselves smiling in order to avoid the most evil of internet accusations: that of hypocrisy. What kind of photos would one expect? Pictures of them arguing? Douglas Coupland said something really fascinating about photographs once...I don't have the book in front of me so I'll have to paraphrase. He said that photographs are inherently full of lies because they take a given image and make it permanent for all time. He was describing those family photos we all got at portrait studios. How everyone smiles and is wearing nice clothes and they paint a picture of a happy family and leave out all the dysfunction.

If we're going to make an issue out of VH trying to put forth some sort of image that the guys and DLR get along and are buddies, I suppose we should feel the same away about our family portraits.

Just because they aren't best friends and sole mates doesn't mean they don't have happy moments here and there and it doesn't mean that a given photo was particularly staged or is fake, it just means it's a photograph. Assuming they were completely staged, and Ed had to be dragged from his room where he was sprawled out on the floor piles of meth, a couple of underage vietnamese hookers and a kiddie pool overflowing with moonshine where the air vents blew second handsmoke and forced him to smile for a picture with DLR who similarly had to be pulled kicking and screaming out of his dressing room 3 miles away and given nitrous oxide to force a smile out of his face so they could take a few shots...I still don't particularly care.

Yeah Ed has his way of saying everyone is his brother blah blah blah but to me that's just fodder for laughter. I don't really see the need to "hold accountable" or "take him to task" for comments like that because I hear people say all the same shit when they get in and out of relationships, when they get back together with ex girlfriends or go back to a job they previously said they hated. I'd much rather hear him say shit like that then "man, the guy's a prick, but at this point in my career it's the only thing that seems worth doing. Everything I want to do is going to suck as far as commercial appeal so what the hell, this is what people want, this is what they get. Fuck it. Just keep that jew ninja ballerina chick away from me until it's show time."

actually, that would be pretty damn funny to read or hear come out of his mouth.

I have gotten more and more accepting of this argument in recent months.

Who cares if they get along?

The bros. in Oasis make it PUBLIC that they don't always get along. The guys in Police still don't care for each other, I don't think. John Paul Jones is probably still a bit bitter over being left out of all the Page/Plant projects.

Nobody makes a huge stink about those acts.

Granted, would I LOVE to see Ed and al make amends with Mike and Sammy? OF COURSE.

Would I love for Dave and Ed to be TRUE friends? Of course.

But the fact of the matter is, I really don't think Ed was CLOSE to any of the members of VH apart from Alex.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Its obviously for the best that their dressing rooms aren't in the same zipcode. These guys probably get along more than you think but after almost 35 years, I'd bet they still know how to piss eachother off.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

The copy editor for that online magazine needs to be fired.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

All true... If you read the '07/'08 tour rider, it was specifically designated that DLR's dressing room be as far away from the other three as possible.

I don't know how they'd ever make a new album together.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Polo Muncher View Post

Damn!

In other news of the obvious, the sun will rise in the morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:11 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    In other news of the obvious, the sun will rise in the morning.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I have gotten more and more accepting of this argument in recent months.

Who cares if they get along?

The bros. in Oasis make it PUBLIC that they don't always get along. The guys in Police still don't care for each other, I don't think. John Paul Jones is probably still a bit bitter over being left out of all the Page/Plant projects.
    The brothers in Oasis are....brothers. That makes it completely different. When brothers squabble they don't tend to kick each other out of bands. At worst you get something like the band falling apart completely like The Kinks. The Roth/Eddie-Alex spat is completely different to that.

The Police didn't do an album either; probably for the same reasons. They enjoy making albums and the artistic satisfaction, but it requires much more intimate time with their fellow musicians.

Side note: Motley Crue were rarely ever in the studio together to make the new album. Nikki Sixx hung out with Tommy Lee and Mick Mars a little but not long and Tommy/Mick were never with each other, but generally the stuff was recorded in home studios. ALL of Vince's stuff was done in home studios.

It wasn't a perfect album by a long shot, but it's entertaining. VH could do an album without speaking to each other.