Register
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dimarzio v Seymour

I have been using the following setup in guitars I have modified/built:

Neck: Air Norton
    Bridge: Tone Zone

For all you tone chasers out there, which Seymour's would be closest to those Dimarzio pickups? Which do you like better?

I've been looking at experimenting with the following:

Neck: SH-2n or SH-1
    Bridge: TB-4 or 14

OR

Trying some Rockfield pickups.

No real reason, just experimenting to see if I can get a better sound.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by handyman View Post

Try the Rockfield Select Wound Custom/SWC.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For all you tone chasers out there, which Seymour's would be closest to those Dimarzio pickups? Which do you like better?

OR

The tone zone / air norton combo is my setup of choice on all my guitars (I play thru a 5150).

But if you are wanting to sound different, I'd take a look at GFS pickups. Their pickups are half the price of Duncans/DiMarzios, but are pretty much equal in quality -- just different sounding.

If you're looking for a more vintagy sound, go for GFS Crunchy PATS. I put those in a custom alder guitar and was EXTREMELY impressed. Vintage gritty tone, modern sustain and power.

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"But if you are wanting to sound different, I'd take a look at GFS pickups. Their pickups are half the price of Duncans/DiMarzios, but are pretty much equal in quality -- just different sounding.

If you're looking for a more vintagy sound, go for GFS Crunchy PATS. I put those in a custom alder guitar and was EXTREMELY impressed. Vintage gritty tone, modern sustain and power."

I took a look at their site, nice prices...you were right! The body will be basswood and I play through a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45...when you say they sound "different"...what do you mean?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

OR

I've used a TB-4 in my old Charvel for more than ten years, and I recently put the Tone Zone/Air Norton combo in my new Ibanez because I fancied a change. I'd say the TZ is a lot sweeter than the TB-4. The TB-4 might have a little more perceived output because of the upper-mid spike it has, but in reality I think they're fairly evenly matched. My only gripe with the TZ is I sometimes feel it lacks a little low-end 'thunk' - though that may be more an acoustic property of the guitar itself.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

"But if you are wanting to sound different, I'd take a look at GFS pickups. Their pickups are half the price of Duncans/DiMarzios, but are pretty much equal in quality -- just different sounding.

If you're looking for a more vintagy sound, go for GFS Crunchy PATS. I put those in a custom alder guitar and was EXTREMELY impressed. Vintage gritty tone, modern sustain and power."

I took a look at their site, nice prices...you were right! The body will be basswood and I play through a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45...when you say they sound "different"...what do you mean?
    I'll offer another endorsement of the GFS pups. I've used several sets of them in custom guitars and like them all quite a bit. I think Jay (the owner) does a fine job with his descriptions on the website, and he always offers measurement info on each pup so you know basically what you're getting. Consistently with the GFS pups I've noticed they have a heavy low-end (not muddy, though).

To date the Vintage '59s are my favorite--just a raw PAF pickup. I'm also really fond of the Fat Pat bridge pup. The Crunchy Pat is brighter and louder but still manages to be quite versatile. I've actually been so impressed I've opted to buy a set of his "Texas" single coils for my '94 USA Strat. I bought a set of the VEH pups but have yet to install them in anything.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I say different, I just mean that they don't sound quite like Tone Zone/Air Nortons. I mean, the don't necessarily sound better or worse, just different -- see what I mean? It's all really what you are looking for. As far as I know, they don't make a clone like pickup of a tone zone, but then again I haven't tried everything they make. So if you are looking for a Tone Zone alternative (or cheaper clone, etc.) maybe look at some elsewhere. But if you just want a comparable pickup in quality to a tone zone, and a different sound and feel, then I'd explore some GFS options.