Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default Fender Standard Strat?

    Anyone familiar with these guitars? On the Fender site they say they are a new model. I saw a few at the local guitar shop for $500 Canadian (they retail at musiciansfriend for $399). They seem to be a better quality than the Mexican strats, and they make lefties! You get some good colour choices too. They are supposed to have a better tremolo block to get better sustain, a modern C shape neck, and medium jumbo frets. The two I saw looked very nice. These aren't to be confused with the American Standard strats, which are quite a bit more expensive. Are they still making Mexican strats, or are these the new Mexican strats? Whatever they are, they seem to be of a higher quality for a budget guitar.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Anyone familiar with these guitars? On the Fender site they say they are a new model. I saw a few at the local guitar shop for $500 Canadian (they retail at musiciansfriend for $399). They seem to be a better quality than the Mexican strats, and they make lefties! You get some good colour choices too. They are supposed to have a better tremolo block to get better sustain, a modern C shape neck, and medium jumbo frets. The two I saw looked very nice. These aren't to be confused with the American Standard strats, which are quite a bit more expensive. Are they still making Mexican strats, or are these the new Mexican strats? Whatever they are, they seem to be of a higher quality for a budget guitar.
    As far as I know, the Fender Standard Strat is the Mexi strat and for my money, a mexi strat is the best bang for the buck out there. Absolutely can't go wrong.

  3. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.16.03
    Posts
    1,243
    Last Online

    07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    As far as I know, the Fender Standard Strat is the Mexi strat and for my money, a mexi strat is the best bang for the buck out there. Absolutely can't go wrong.
    Yep, they are the same guitar

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    As far as I know, the Fender Standard Strat is the Mexi strat and for my money, a mexi strat is the best bang for the buck out there. Absolutely can't go wrong.
    Just be careful with the Mexi Standard Strats. I've had several students buy them; a couple have been great, a couple have been awful. One student just got a Mexi Strat for Christmas, and the thing reminds of those Target Starcasters--seriously. The neck maple had odd twists and knots in it, and the string alignment literally had the low-E shifting just off the fingerboard around the 21st fret. A guitar like that should have never left the factory, let alone be sold at GC for regular price. From what I understand the Mexi Strats are hit or miss like that, so always play and inspect before you buy.

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.16.03
    Posts
    1,243
    Last Online

    07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Just be careful with the Mexi Standard Strats. I've had several students buy them; a couple have been great, a couple have been awful. One student just got a Mexi Strat for Christmas, and the thing reminds of those Target Starcasters--seriously. The neck maple had odd twists and knots in it, and the string alignment literally had the low-E shifting just off the fingerboard around the 21st fret. A guitar like that should have never left the factory, let alone be sold at GC for regular price. From what I understand the Mexi Strats are hit or miss like that, so always play and inspect before you buy.
    Just sounds like the neck shifted. Easy fix.

    I would offer your advice to anyone buying any guitar

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Can you drop a Floyd into one of those without too much routing? Do the holes for the Floyd posts match up with the ones that are already there for the existing trem? How about the nut, is there enough space to pull the existing nut and seat the locking nut? I'm thinking for $499 you get an alder body, maple neck with a pretty nice maple board. With a couple of changes, I could have a nice guitar for much less than something like a Warmoth. As a lefty, my options are limited

    Does anyone have any experience with Rondo guitars. They seem pretty nice but the price seems too good to be true.

  7. #7
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Can you drop a Floyd into one of those without too much routing? Do the holes for the Floyd posts match up with the ones that are already there for the existing trem? How about the nut, is there enough space to pull the existing nut and seat the locking nut? I'm thinking for $499 you get an alder body, maple neck with a pretty nice maple board. With a couple of changes, I could have a nice guitar for much less than something like a Warmoth. As a lefty, my options are limited

    Does anyone have any experience with Rondo guitars. They seem pretty nice but the price seems too good to be true.
    It would take a lot of work install a Floyd on a Mexi Strat.

    Consider building your own. You can do well with an ash Mighty Mite body and maple neck.

    Examples:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-STRATOCAS...742.m153.l1262

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Licensed-...742.m153.l1262

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Can you drop a Floyd into one of those without too much routing? Do the holes for the Floyd posts match up with the ones that are already there for the existing trem? How about the nut, is there enough space to pull the existing nut and seat the locking nut? I'm thinking for $499 you get an alder body, maple neck with a pretty nice maple board. With a couple of changes, I could have a nice guitar for much less than something like a Warmoth. As a lefty, my options are limited

    Does anyone have any experience with Rondo guitars. They seem pretty nice but the price seems too good to be true.
    Fender offers a mexi with a floyd...at least they used to. Been a while since I was uber-familiar and up-to-date with their current line up at any single moment. You may look for a Sambora signature. They made a mexican version. I have one. Fantastic guitar.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Stratocas...3A1%7C294%3A50

    There's a link to one on Ebay for 349. That's a great deal.

  9. #9
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Ok, thanks guys. As a leftie, there isn't much available to me if I want a Floyd. Very difficult to find a quality affordable guitar with the features I want. Lots of righties but not much for us picky lefties. I may have to piece mine together to get everything I want.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Ok, thanks guys. As a leftie, there isn't much available to me if I want a Floyd. Very difficult to find a quality affordable guitar with the features I want. Lots of righties but not much for us picky lefties. I may have to piece mine together to get everything I want.
    ooh didn't realize you needed a lefty with a floyd. yeah that's going to be pretty tough. Building it will be your best bet. I always encouraged lefties to learn right handed...makes life a lot easier when it comes to stuff like this.

  11. #11
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    ooh didn't realize you needed a lefty with a floyd. yeah that's going to be pretty tough. Building it will be your best bet. I always encouraged lefties to learn right handed...makes life a lot easier when it comes to stuff like this.
    It will take some searching, and time but good luck. On the subject of what broken said, I agree with this aproach too. Obviously if you have been playing lefty already the transition would be dificult. I'm a lefty, but I learned right handed, and in actuality, it made perfect sense to switch, because for me my dexterity was in my left hand, and really helped accelerate my abilty to move around the fretboard when I was learning. For yucks I tried switching to lefty and found it very cumbersome for me.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  12. #12
    Eruption LeftyVanHalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.24.07
    Posts
    1,158
    Last Online

    08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    19
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

    Default

    I'm a lefty and I mean no disrespect when I say this...

    It really rubs me the wrong way when people say...you should have learned playing righty...

    I'm a lefty...why should I compromise the way it naturally feels to conform to a righty guitar? Sure, I am seriously limited in my guitar choices (pissed off that I can't get a lefty Wolfgang). But, being lefty for me just feels right.

    I can't even think about playing righty. You know how it feels when you try to throw a ball with your weak hand? When you look like a girl throwing the ball? Well that's how it feels to play right for me.

    WHat if you were asked to play lefty? Not an easy task.

    Anyway, the standard strat is a great guitar for the money but as a lefty...find a ESP or Schecter or used lefty guitar with a floyd. That's what I did...converting a mexi strat to a floyd seems a little bit overboard....

  13. #13
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Hey Lefty. I meant no disrespect to you. I railed against playing right handed. I started playing young and at a time when you were riticuled if you did anything other than right handed, like there was something wrong with you. I chose right handed to avoid being singled out from staunch criticism. I was just saying that for me at least, ultimately in the end it made more sense in that for my style at least, it became more of a benefit than a hinderence, because like I said, my left hand had way more dexterity and thus precision when fretting or doing the wide spread across the board. Believe me, in all other aspects, it pissed me off growing up when someone would see me writting lefthanded, and being treated as an anomally. I think playing guitar is playing guitar no matter what. Ultimately who gives a fuck. It's just stupid social acceptance that made me play that way.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I was just saying that for me at least, ultimately in the end it made more sense in that for my style at least, it became more of a benefit than a hinderence, because like I said, my left hand had way more dexterity and thus precision when fretting or doing the wide spread across the board.
    Being a righty, i always thought the same way - that it would make more sense for us to play "lefty" and use our right hands on the fretboard. It just seems to make more sense to me for the same reasons you mentioned above.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Posts
    1,584
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Being a righty, i always thought the same way - that it would make more sense for us to play "lefty" and use our right hands on the fretboard. It just seems to make more sense to me for the same reasons you mentioned above.
    I've been telling people that for years and everyone thinks I'm nuts. You righties are actually backwards! My right hand is my dominant hand, and as a lefty I am holding the guitar on the RIGHT side of my body, which is my dominant side. I fret with my left hand, just like how I hammer with my right, hold a pencil, shave, etc. I have no idea how you righties do all the fretwork with your left hand and hold the damn thing on the left side of your body.

    Anyway, I understand where the advice is coming from, but I've been playing lefty for years and for me to learn the opposite way I'd have to start from ground zero, and I'm not willing to do that and I don't think I should have to anyway. It would be cool if just a few more companies offered lefty guitars. There may not be a big demand for lefties, but there is a market there. Hell, even the Peavey custom shop stopped offering the HP as a lefty. Why would a custom shop, where you are supposed to be able to jazz up your guitar pretty much any way you want, not offer a lefty? Floyd Rose does make left-handed trems, so it's not like those parts aren't available.

    Finally, anyone have any comments on the Jackson Dinky? They make the left-handed, but I'm none too crazy about the fret inlays and the sharp angles of the guitar, but I'm considering one.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Fender Strat VG
    By againstthewind in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05.04.07, 11:15 AM
  2. Fender (with Roland)'s new VG American Strat
    By lovemachine97(Version 2) in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02.09.07, 09:37 PM
  3. Fender Strat tone.
    By againstthewind in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06.19.06, 04:06 PM
  4. Fender Strat guitar
    By Kenny666 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09.14.05, 03:35 PM
  5. fender/squire strat experts, i need ID help...
    By Dave G 5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03.09.03, 01:09 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •