Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Parents upset after elementary teacher asks students to shave his face

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/628011-p2.html

Young girls say teacher had them shave his beard, then told them not to tell anyone about it.

A teacher at Peterson Elementary School had three 8-year-old girls shave off his beard in front of the classroom, then made them pledge not to tell their parents about the incident, parents of the girls said.

He has returned to teach at the school after winter break. The incident occurred the week before Thanksgiving.

Michael McLane, a third-grade teacher who has worked for the district for several years, described the event as a "story starter" for a writing activity, according to a letter from the school's principal.

But several parents viewed his actions as questionable. "I was like: 'What?' You know," said one mother, whose daughter was holding the clippers during the incident. "It alarmed me."

Calls made to McLane's cell phone on Tuesday weren't returned and his voice mail was full. After school Tuesday, he hung up after a reporter identified herself as being from the Sun-Star. Several other calls and messages left at the same number during the past month were similarly not returned.

The parents involved in the incident asked that their names not be published to protect their children.

According to the woman's daughter, McLane had the students gather around the classroom just before recess one day. He took out an electric razor and started shaving his beard. Then he asked which of his students wanted to give it a try.

McLane called each student by name, the parent said.

There were few volunteers: just three girls.

After his beard was shaved, the students said they returned to their desks and were told to write a story about shaving McLane's beard.

The students told their parents that their teacher said it was a story that he would keep as his secret. It wouldn't be sent home to parents as other work completed in the classroom was, according to the kids.

And if they did tell, they would have to sit out the classroom Christmas party, children told their parents.

According to two sets of parents, their daughters kept mum about the incident until the parents pried out the information that had been visibly troubling the girls.

"My daughter came home from school, and she was upset because her friend told a secret and couldn't come to the Christmas party," one mom said.

The three girls involved in the incident have been transferred out of the classroom, their parents said.

When one mother requested a transfer, she was told that another student in the classroom was in line ahead of her daughter. Four students, or one-fifth of the class, were trying to transfer or had transferred out of the classroom in mid-December.

Such a ratio of transfers is considered unusual in local elementary schools.

Greg Spicer, the district's superintendent of personnel services, said the school and the district immediately began investigating complaints from parents. Spicer added, however, that privacy laws prohibited him from speaking about specific complaints against teachers.

Without commenting about the specifics of the shaving case, he explained the general process of this type of complaint. When a parent complains, he or she is sent to the principal, who records information about the complaint. The principal fills out a complaint form and investigates the allegations.

"We want parents to know that safety concerns are of the utmost importance," Spicer said.

He also said that if a teacher breaks a law, he or she is immediately put on leave.

McLane -- or any teacher in a similar situation -- didn't break a law, according to the school district. Instead, he may have practiced poor judgment, Spicer conceded.

Although the events occurred in the third week of November, a letter from Principal Nolan Harris about his investigation wasn't sent home until Dec. 12. It read, in part:

"As you may be aware, the last week before the Thanksgiving break, Mr. McLane had the class participate in a face-shaving activity with an electric razor as a story starter for a writing assignment. He later instructed the students that if they told they would not have a Christmas Party. Needless to say, that instruction was inappropriate and was not well received by several parents, staff or the Administration. On behalf of myself and the District, we want to apologize to the students and parents."

The rest of the letter seems to emphasize the inappropriateness of the threat about the Christmas party -- not about the face-shaving itself.

Dr. Julia Johnson, a licensed educational psychologist in Southern California, said the event could lead to deep anxiety and confusion among the children in the classroom.

Johnson said the children are told from a young age to trust and respect their teacher. "That's why this classroom situation is so significant. This teacher, to them, is the embodiment of trust," Johnson said. "He's using manipulation, and this whole ethic of trust is completely obliterated.

"In the school day, most of our kids are educated, are taught, about 'stranger danger' to keep them safe. When they hear somebody tell them, 'It's our secret. This is our secret, don't tell anyone,' alarms go off. But this is coming from the teacher, so this is confusing to them."

Depending on the child, that confusion can manifest in different ways. Some kids may feel an intense anxiety, Johnson said.

"If kids have heightened anxiety, then they aren't going to be able to engage their memory and cognitive processes and they are not going to do as well in the classroom," she said.

As far as the actual act of face shaving, Johnson said it may not resonate as an inappropriate act as strongly with children as it does with adults.

One big question remains unanswered, Johnson said:

"What was he getting out of this?"
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

As punishment they should now give the parents of those girls the opportunity to shave the teacher with a straight razor......that should give him the shakes and shits

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Having them shave him with an electric razor, doesn't alarm me. Having them keep it a secret does. He needs to be evaluated for that alone.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Having them shave him with an electric razor, doesn't alarm me. Having them keep it a secret does. He needs to be evaluated for that alone.
    Bingo. Sounds like he was getting enjoyment from this. Creepy.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I agree, the shaving him with a electric razor is no big deal until he said to keep it a secrete. Thats when it gets a little weird.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    I agree, the shaving him with a electric razor is no big deal until he said to keep it a secrete. Thats when it gets a little weird.
    yep. I could see how a teacher with a big beard may make a big gag out of shaving it for the class...you know something like: If everyone passes the test then the class can shave my beard or my head" or whatever. But as soon as it turned into some big secret...man that's just wierd. Sounds like he's got some sort of fetish. definitely creepy.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Fucking creep!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Perfectly said.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    yep. I could see how a teacher with a big beard may make a big gag out of shaving it for the class...you know something like: If everyone passes the test then the class can shave my beard or my head" or whatever. But as soon as it turned into some big secret...man that's just wierd. Sounds like he's got some sort of fetish. definitely creepy.
    I can't see it as a prank....remember the girls were 8 years old
    but it certainly could be see as a "big gag" followed by a good quantity of vomit

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I can't see it as a prank....remember the girls were 8 years old
    but it certainly could be see as a "big gag" followed by a good quantity of vomit
    yeah with the girls being so young and the whole secret thing, this thing is just creepy. One more reason why I have zero interest in sending any child I have to public school...or a private school for that matter. Home schooling with plenty of activities outside the house is definitely the best way to go.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

being shaved by students= poor judgement.

telling them to keep it a secret= should not be in the teaching profession; fire his ass!
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A high school coach making a "bet" that the players can shave his beard/head, fine. This crap? Ummm, no.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Strange individual. If it were my child, I'd be upset.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Now if he asked them to shave his back - then that would definately be grounds for an ass whipping.

Considering that I have 2 girls, I wouldn't want them touching any man like that. The face is, well, an intimate area.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Exactly. He didn't do anything wrong until he told them to keep it a secret. That just screams alterior motive.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!