Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default I Quick Comment On The Role Of Drugs And The Changes They've Forced.

I want to start off by stating that I'm not a prude, I have smoked weed here and there and I support legalization of pot.

That said, Crystal Meth is the worst drug ever and let me explain how it has effected my job/industry which will eventually effect you. I work in a small motel and since 2002 we have had a small number of incidents where "Tweakers" (Meth heads) have checked into a room and have almost destroyed the place before they leave or we figure out what's going on and get the police involved. I will not reveal where I work but it doesn't make a difference because the Meth problem is NATION WIDE and 5 diamond resort hotels get hit just as hard as little "Norman Bates" roadside inns do.

We once had a guy who was both a tweaker and a cooker. Meth can be made in a motel room with a hotplate. He was in the room for 4 days. We finally kicked him out because all kinds of strange people were coming to his room at all times of the day. The day clerk was clueless. The guy and his friends had clogged the toilet and continued to crap in it. There was shit in the shower and in one corner of the room. The furnature was upended. It took a week and $1500 to have the room professionally cleaned. This kind of thing happened at least three other times. With Meth, it's not always easy to spot a user or a cooker/dealer. We had a couple that were clean-cut and one woman with a baby get by us.

So when you are traveling there's a 10% chance that your room had something nasty happen in it. IT'S CLEAN, at least our rooms are but you can tell if it is not because smoking meth leaces a residue that smells like piss. If your room smells like piss, demand to be moved immediately.

The big effect that some of you will notice is that fewer and fewer motels will take cash. We don't take cash on weekends and when we d take cash we require a credit card anyway as security. It sucks because there are many older people and honest, hard working people who don't have credit cards or travel with them and they have to search for a motel that takes cash. For us the issue was easy to settle upon because all of the druggies paid cash and after a review of four years of incidents there were only two cases of damage to a room by a credit card-paying customer and those were both wedding parties (we hate wedding parties). Still, it sucks to have to give some old Korean War vet the 3rd-degree because he doesn't have a credit card (and yes, one of the Meth heads was in his 70s, or looked 70).

Those of you who travel frequently are already used to this because you cannot rent a car without a credit card. However, there are some people who by circumstance or by principle do not use credit cards and things happen (death/illness in family, some kind of emergancy/forced out of home due to flood/fire/tornado/act of God). I just want to give you a heads up on this issue so that you can plan ahead. I also want to say that you shouldn't take it personally either. Who wants to sleep next door to a guy cooking meth? Who wants to put their family into a motel/hotel where there is drug dealing right down the hall? Drugs = Guns and there is nothing more dangerous than a tweaker with a gun. The hospitality industry has to take steps to make sure that it's law abiding guests are safe and limiting/restricting cash is one of the best ways to do this.

I hate it. I always get the lecture about how back in the day cash was king and blah, blah, blah but then again I have seen and smelled the rooms of tweakers. It's a sign of the times and the people you need to be angry at are the Meth heads, not the motel, hotel or inn. So if you know someone who uses meth, punch them in the face.

Sorry to rant, I just had to send a guy up the road because he only had cash and NO ID (who travels without a driver's licence?) and I got the lecture about how he didn't trust credit cards and so on. Even if we did take cash we still need a photo ID so this guy was out of luck. I just wanted to pass this along because things happen and I don't want you guys to sleep in your cars or something.

I should point out that I work in the nice part of town, I can't imagine what the motels in the cheapskate part of town deal with.

The title should say "A" instead of "I".
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Meth is a horrible drug. It destroys lives.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

We used to take a $200 deposit (in addition to the room and tax charges) from our cash paying guests. Room was inspected before they left - any damage - deposit was lost. But they still had to have an ID. And dealing with cash paying guests could be a pain in the ass - they'd stay (and pay) for 4 days, then decide to stay over and getting them to pay for that 5th (and any future days) would become a pain in the ass. Also had an English guy rail at me back in '86/'87 when I was working at a large hotel in Philly because we asked him to put some more cash down on his room ("You yanks and your cash" was what he said to me, or something like that).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

THe first week my nephew was at the University of Central Florida this year there was an explosion in the dorms..... a freshman had set up a meth lab in the dormitory! I guess that's one way to deal with decreases in student aid....

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Countless ex-miners became addicted to meth in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, when the mining industry collapsed. Nobody had anything to do, and just now is the community starting to recover. It's a horrific sight.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,339 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have found several meth pipes, called schleys(sp?) in my drive through from time to time plus hypodermic needles too. Fucking sad to think about someone getting blazed, eating Krystals and driving.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The downer is that shit like this retards the advancement of pot progress
    as it gets lumped in with this kind of derelict behavior. Well, that and the
    whole teeth rotting out thing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

isn't it a federal requirement that one provide official ID when renting a hotel room? I'm pretty sure that was the case even before the patriot act but I know that afterwards, I started seeing little signs that said "due to the patriot act, we have to require photo id."

I was at walgreens the other day and some lady was making a big fuss because the guy needed her ID in order to sell her a certain kind of sudafed. She said she left it in the car but refused to go get it. Finally she just left. Fucking loser. If you can't hold your shit and act like a civilized human being, then you don't get to do drugs.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Poverty = More drug use.

Sure, there are plenty of rich people who get sucked in (I personally know a minor aristo who was hooked on coke), but the bottom line is that people use drugs to party or to escape (or both). All classes and types, and some get addicted. The point is, you are probably more likely to get addicted the more you take. If you have no job, or worse, no hope, it is easy to become dependent.

Because I work in blocks of contracts, I know for a fact that I tend to drink more when I'm not working. I can't imagine being one of these people who worked at "the plant" for years only to get laid off in some small town where your chances of getting something new are next to zero.

I'm not making excuses for people - everyone knows the score about hard drugs by now - but I do understand it. And with things the way they are, it is going to get much, much worse in the near future.

Putting people in prison for USING is not the answer either. Once you've got a record, your chances automatically drop and it doesn't address the problem either.

There is no easy answer to this problem. People have wanted to change their state since time started and will continue to do so. Education (sensible education) and treatment for those already addicted might help, but this iss something that will be with us forever.

I'm glad meth doesn't seem to have got big in Europe, because from everything I've read and seen on the subject, it looks like an absolute fucker.

Oh, and they need to legalise cannibis right now.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Drugs don't kill people. Life kills people.

Life and waiting for the next Van Halen album..........
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

isn't it a federal requirement that one provide official ID when renting a hotel room?
    Guess it goes according to state. Alot of people don't want to identify themselves........for whatever reason
    Van Halen

April 1978 Palladium, NYC
    March 1984 MSG, NYC
    July 1986 Meadowlands, NJ
    Oct 1988 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    July 1993 Jones Beach, NY
    April 1995 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    Oct 2007 Mohegan Sun, CT
    Nov 2007 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    May 2008 MSG, NYC

DLR June 2003 Westbury Music Fair, NY

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

And to add to what Axx was saying...

Meth messes EVERYTHING up. Meth houses cost more than $20,000 to clean up; often the city or county has to pay for it. While in operation a meth house dumps ridiculous amounts of toxic chemicals into the sewers. The dangers to neighbors in the immediate area are profound.

For the most part, I'm not gonna get on someone's case for their use of most drugs (marijuana is quite forgivable to me and should not be illegal, IMO), so long as the user isn't hurting other people in any way. If dude wants to destroy his own body that's his own prerogative. However, I have ZERO tolerance for meth. In every way it is harmful to everyone in close proximity to it. If you're a user, dealer, or maker, you're harming the community around you.

And... I can't even buy regular Sudafed now without showing my ID and signing some paper thing!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    The title should say "A" instead of "I".
    I just figured you were using Roman numerals; they're underrated.

Seriously, meth is bad, it's ruining a scary number of young rural lives. The pharmacy "Sudafed" laws were supposed to cut meth abuse down, but now I just see a lot of folks in the newspaper crime report with charges of violating the law/buying too much too quickly.

Unrelated or not, robberies and burglaries are way up as well. My place of employment has been robbed twice in the past two weeks. Former employee, a known thief and druggie.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    And to add to what Axx was saying...

Meth messes EVERYTHING up. Meth houses cost more than $20,000 to clean up; often the city or county has to pay for it. While in operation a meth house dumps ridiculous amounts of toxic chemicals into the sewers. The dangers to neighbors in the immediate area are profound.

For the most part, I'm not gonna get on someone's case for their use of most drugs (marijuana is quite forgivable to me and should not be illegal, IMO), so long as the user isn't hurting other people in any way. If dude wants to destroy his own body that's his own prerogative. However, I have ZERO tolerance for meth. In every way it is harmful to everyone in close proximity to it. If you're a user, dealer, or maker, you're harming the community around you.

And... I can't even buy regular Sudafed now without showing my ID and signing some paper thing!
    Very well put. I had a nasty cold about a year and a half ago, and the over the counter stuff wasn't cutting it. So I had to go to the local pharmacy, show them my drivers license, sign a paper with my name, address and telephone number on it, and sign away my first born child.

I know there are people that have this "Well, they are just destroying their own bodies, what's the problem?" attitude. As you outlined above, the chemicals that go into making this stuff are highly toxic, and end up in the ground water, etc. To add insult to injury, just like anybody else that gets hooked on drugs, they normally become jobless. Jobless people wanting to buy drugs, resort to all sorts of crazy ways to pay for their habit, especially stealing. I know because I have been a victim of theft so someone could pay for their drug habit.

Also, because they refer to them as "Meth Labs" many people are under the impression that they make this stuff in big labs. You can cook this crap up on a coffee table, and in fact, many of them around here have gone mobile, setting their stuff up in the back of a pickup truck with a camper and drive around cooking this crap, so the cops have a harder time tracking them down.

One more thing too. It is not just the dregs of society that do this crap. Someone I know (That also happens to be deep into this crap) hangs out at the local meth dealers house quite frequently. She said you would be shocked to find out who some of the people are that show up at all hours of the night (They all come the back door) to purchase their meth.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Meth is the plague. The worst. Ruins lives well beyond the user. People literally lose their minds on meth. And oh the crimes.

The plague. It's everywhere.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_