Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I got a 5150 III Half Stack

After a lot of thought and research I went to guitar center today to try and work out a deal to get a new 5150 III half stack. I didn't want to shell out over $3100 so I decided it was time to try and cash in on attempting a trade.... which I almost never do since you always get such a bad deak. Well anyway, I brought in my Midsize Marshall Jubilee Stack (silver). It stands about 6ft tall. It's the 25/50 series (50 watt). I've been through a lot with this stack and have owned it since 1992. I paid $800 for it used back in the day. Alas, it needed tubes and it was in pretty rough shape. Torn elephant skin in places ... pots needed cleaning ... cracked wood on the bottom cabinet due to traveling ... but it still sounded really good, but for me and my style it was pretty limiting and I needed another amp that is more versatile. GC wound up giving me $1500 for it. To make the situation even better, the 5150 III head for some reason was ringing up for $1249 (not $1999) and the cabinet was ringing up $749 so I wound up getting the half stack for $500 after my trade. To me, this is a fantastic deal and I jumped at it. I now have my half stack at home and can say it has been an evening of absolute bliss. I am in love. What a great sounding amp ... all 3 channels are fantastic. What tone. This amp will compliment my JCM 800 half stack perfectly. I haven't been this pumped about a new piece of gear in a long time. I feel like I've got a new hot girlfriend or something. If anyone is looking for one... check out Guitar Center... the sales rep in the Nashville, TN location said it appeared as though they were ringing up on clearance. After consulting with management for a few minutes they agreed that the price was correct and sold it to me. If any any of you are shopping for one, I would assume this price would be the same at all guitar center locations. That's $2000 for a 5150 III half stack. $1100 cheaper than the regular price! If you haven't tried this amp out, give it a shot. In my opinion the 5150 III crushes the original block letter 5150 and the 5150 II. Totally classic brown sound on channel 2.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Lets hear it rip...post a few clips if possible
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on picking up such a steller amp! I bet you have been messin' with it all day long!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know that feeling when getting something new. For a poor man I have a pretty good guitar collection and when first getting these guitars I was stoked especially my EBMM EVH ,my Vigier Excaliber and My R67 Gibson V that I customized. Latley though I realized that I need a hot girlfriend .

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Thank you so much for this post. I've been wanting a matching white cab for my white EVH 5150 III head. I just called GC and they matched the price!!!

I'm picking it up on Saturday!!!

Thank you!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Congrats on the 5150III, but you could have made WAY more by selling the Jubilee. The silver are regularly going for $1200 for just the head. I bet you could have sold the whole stack for around $2500.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Man I wish I wouldn't have read this thread... $2K for this half stack puts it in my range, and with a gear trade no problem at all. At $3K I just never even thought about it, and my mint 1989 Mesa/Boogie Mark III w/extra Thiele ported cab still sounds great (original EV 200W speaker in both cabs). I also have a mint 1988 Gibson LP Custom which very rarely makes it out of the case. I told myself years ago that I was never going to sell or trade gear again since I got rid of some great stuff years ago...

I'm going to see if there are any meds which will erase my memory of this thread. I think I remember hearing something being mentioned on Law & Order. haha

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading this thread, I'm starting to get the bug. I racked up $600 worth of Guitar Center gift cards for xmas and i do have some stuff I could trade in or sell on eBay....
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wow...8 posts about getting a 5150III at a Guitar Center and not a single remark about how awful the evil bastards are and how it should have been purchased at a mom and pop! Man. That's rather impressive.

Sounds like you got a fantastic deal. I have yet to plug one in but I haven't heard a bad word about them. Good for you!!!! ENJOY!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    wow...8 posts about getting a 5150III at a Guitar Center and not a single remark about how awful the evil bastards are and how it should have been purchased at a mom and pop! Man. That's rather impressive.

Sounds like you got a fantastic deal. I have yet to plug one in but I haven't heard a bad word about them. Good for you!!!! ENJOY!
    Look, I would love it if the people in my life who aren't musicians would get me gift certificates to my favorite mom & pop music store. But the reality is that they live all over the country and they only know of Guitar Center. What am I supposed to do, eat the gift cards because GC is an evil empire? Trust me, I support mom & pop music stores whenever i have a choice.

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Look, I would love it if the people in my life who aren't musicians would get me gift certificates to my favorite mom & pop music store. But the reality is that they live all over the country and they only know of Guitar Center. What am I supposed to do, eat the gift cards because GC is an evil empire? Trust me, I support mom & pop music stores whenever i have a choice.
    I would piss myself if I was given 600 bucks worth of GC cards. Enjoy the hell out of those! But don't get me wrong, I love my Guitar Center. The Westheimer location here in Houston is fantastic.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would piss myself if I was given 600 bucks worth of GC cards. Enjoy the hell out of those! But don't get me wrong, I love my Guitar Center. The Westheimer location here in Houston is fantastic.
    I know. I got completely spoiled this year. I've been watching their used gear page for a deal. But this thread has started me thinking....

- Dewey Cox

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    After a lot of thought and research I went to guitar center today to try and work out a deal to get a new 5150 III half stack.
    Is it noisy at all? I didn't see that mentioned. Thanks.

- Dewey Cox

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

All I know is that I will not be telling my cousin from down in Ormond about this, as he payed pretty much full nut for it last year.

But damn does it sound good!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 01:51 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

But don't get me wrong, I love my Guitar Center. The Westheimer location here in Houston is fantastic.

...and, (un)fortunately, it doesn't hurt when one of the assistant managers of the store in your area wants to be the bass player in your band.

In the past, I've always thought I knew my equipment prices/values/markups and generally got the best deal possible...but these days, it's just SICK the kind of bennies I'm now eligible for...