http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...n-guitar_N.htm

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Guy View Post
    This hand-crafted guitar is Eddie Van Halen's baby:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...n-guitar_N.htm
    Oh, man... I love Ed, but when he says "This is my last attempt to get things done right, and I took it seriously," it eerily reminds me of (about Gary Cherone) "If this doesn't work out I'm going to start writing television music."

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I really prefer to build my own guitars, but I might just have to aquire one of these. Horse trading anyone?
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

"In the past, guitars with my name on them weren't as good as my own," Van Halen says. He says a Wolfgang bought off the rack is identical to the one he uses on stage and adds somewhat cryptically, "This is my last attempt to get things done right, and I took it seriously."

So, what about all the times he said "I can walk into a music store and pick up any (Ernie Ball/Peavey), and it's exactly the same as my guitar?"

Don't read this.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    "In the past, guitars with my name on them weren't as good as my own," Van Halen says. He says a Wolfgang bought off the rack is identical to the one he uses on stage and adds somewhat cryptically, "This is my last attempt to get things done right, and I took it seriously."

So, what about all the times he said "I can walk into a music store and pick up any (Ernie Ball/Peavey), and it's exactly the same as my guitar?"
    Yup. Once he even cited an example about borrowing an EBMM and 5150 from a local music store so he could jam with Tony Iommi, since his gear had been shipped overseas during a tour. (Did I get that story right? I'm sure someone will correct me if not.)

It's possible he means that his previous guitars were all built with him specifically in mind, i.e. the custom shop at Peavey making a guitar that was about EVH from the start, and he wasn't necessarily being send production versions. That's still a stretch, though.

I was a VH fan as a very young kid, but I was too young to understand the drama when DLR left. So when Sammy came in I bought into the hype and embraced the band completely. From that perspective I never quite understood the frustration longtime VH fans felt about the band always bad-mouthing DLR and the past. Then when Hagar was out and they got Cherone, I gave it a fair shot, but I finally understood what it must have been like for fans in '85. I listened to the III album and went to a couple of shows and was like: "Wait, something's missing here." And I couldn't dig all the mudslinging about the past. Eddie does it with his gear, too. With each guitar he's declared it like nothing ever before. Well... fuck me. I fell in love with the Wolfgang (after at first thinking it was the ugliest abomination to hang from music store walls) and have yet to find a guitar I like playing better. And you'll be damned to find a disappointed EBMM EVH owner. I think Ed should learn the definition of the word "refined" and stop taking a shit on the past and walking away.

And the media is introducing this thing like it's never been heard of before. The "Wolfgang" guitar has existed since 1995. The "new Wolfgang" is just going into production. Where'd the name come from? His kid? Oh, right. Thanks. I didn't know that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

He was either drunk, lying or both. And how are we supposed to believe he's telling the truth about the new Wolfgang?

This is my favorite little gem from the article:

"...he proudly says he is winning a fight with mouth cancer, which cannot be aided by his chain-smoking."

As former smoker who is coming up on one year smoke free - and believe me I miss it everyday - I can say that it is possible to quit and it gets easier as time goes by. How somone who was treated for oral cancer and lost part of his tongue can continue to smoke is beyond me. It's beyond stupid and, if you're a father, it's irresponsible. At least be smart enough not to smoke in public.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I think Ed should learn the definition of the word "refined" and stop taking a shit on the past and walking away.

And the media is introducing this thing like it's never been heard of before. The "Wolfgang" guitar has existed since 1995. The "new Wolfgang" is just going into production. Where'd the name come from? His kid? Oh, right. Thanks. I didn't know that.
    Totally.
    For one thing, it's bad marketing. When Ford comes out with a new Mustang, they don't say "The old Mustang was a piece of shit!" Why? Because all the customer hears is "Mustang...piece of shit! Don't buy a Ford. They make shitty cars."

Or, it's like the guy who dates a girl for a year and then, when they break up, tells all his friends that she's a total bitch. Well, why did you go with her for a year then, stupid?!

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.06.09 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, as far as the whole thing about his previous guitars being better made for him than the production models kinda actually DOESN'T surprise me.

I'll explain: HE'S EDDIE FUCKING VAN HALEN! If a guitar company has ONE of the ALL TIME GREATEST GUITARISTS EVER, they're going to make him better quality guitars for HIM, and be FAR LESS CARING about US (The Fans) although, they also made GREAT guitars for us as it was, but they were both obviously more worried about meeting their endorser's needs than ours. Plus, let us not forget, when Eddie was using EBMM and Peaveys, he'd have some modified with a Trans-Trem or a Fernandez Sustainer. THOSE guitars you couldnt buy off the shelf. You would have to buy an EBMM EVH or a Peavey Wolfgang and then modify it to get it like some of Ed's guitars, although his #1 Sunburst one from the VH3 and dread 04 Reunion tours was, I believe anywas, correct me if I'm wrong, just a great 1st Year Quilt...

And what Ed said about the EBMM and Tony Iommi, AT, I've heard that interview before, so yeah you remember correctly. It was on the Balance Tour, and he also talked briefly about his amp rig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.06.09 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's possible he means that his previous guitars were all built with him specifically in mind, i.e. the custom shop at Peavey making a guitar that was about EVH from the start, and he wasn't necessarily being send production versions. That's still a stretch, though.

Where'd the name come from? His kid? Oh, right. Thanks. I didn't know that.
    But really, ITS NAMED AFTER A KID? I always it had to do w/ the Wolf's head headstock and some Italian Mob gang Ed was friends w/...

Okay guess you already mentioned the possibilty of the better quality guitars I talked about...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Eddie does it with his gear, too. With each guitar he's declared it like nothing ever before. Well... fuck me. I fell in love with the Wolfgang (after at first thinking it was the ugliest abomination to hang from music store walls) and have yet to find a guitar I like playing better. And you'll be damned to find a disappointed EBMM EVH owner. I think Ed should learn the definition of the word "refined" and stop taking a shit on the past and walking away.
    Both the Peavey and EBMM are awesome guitars. I'm sure the EVH will be awesome, too. I understand what you're saying, but I also understand Eddie's position: it's just a combination of marketing hype and Ed's typical "new toy" syndrome. Eddie's probably the kind of guy who gets a turkey sandwich at a deli and says to Alex, "Dude, this is the best turkey sandwich EVER" and MEANS IT - at that moment. I'm not knocking on him, it's just the way he's wired. Throw in some marketing $$$ and the wiring is enhanced!

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cant get the video to play from the link, anyone else having that problem?

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I don't know how Ed's personal Peaveys and Wolfgang version 1s sound, but mine sound great! So they were worth the price. I might go tinker on a Wolfgang version 2 but I really wouldn't know how it sounded until I plugged into my stuff. Wonder if GC would let me borrow one, just for a couple of days?
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Ed was a hero of mine from the time I was 10 years old....the ultimate guitar hero/rock n roll guy. To me, even to this day, I look back on VH up through 1991 or so and think he's the epitome of what a guitar player should play like, look like, be like, everything. But the more I see these video clips and the more I hear the hypocrisy from his own mouth the more I find myself thinking he's a douche. And it kills me to say that. But sorry, he just strikes me as a pretty unlikeable guy.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

08.17.15 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Yup. Once he even cited an example about borrowing an EBMM and 5150 from a local music store so he could jam with Tony Iommi, since his gear had been shipped overseas during a tour. (Did I get that story right? I'm sure someone will correct me if not.)

I was a VH fan as a very young kid, but I was too young to understand the drama when DLR left. So when Sammy came in I bought into the hype and embraced the band completely. From that perspective I never quite understood the frustration longtime VH fans felt about the band always bad-mouthing DLR and the past. Then when Hagar was out and they got Cherone, I gave it a fair shot, but I finally understood what it must have been like for fans in '85. I listened to the III album and went to a couple of shows and was like: "Wait, something's missing here." And I couldn't dig all the mudslinging about the past. Eddie does it with his gear, too. With each guitar he's declared it like nothing ever before. Well... fuck me. I fell in love with the Wolfgang (after at first thinking it was the ugliest abomination to hang from music store walls) and have yet to find a guitar I like playing better. And you'll be damned to find a disappointed EBMM EVH owner. I think Ed should learn the definition of the word "refined" and stop taking a shit on the past and walking away.

I can relate with the whole "lead singer shifting"

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Ed was a hero of mine from the time I was 10 years old....the ultimate guitar hero/rock n roll guy. To me, even to this day, I look back on VH up through 1991 or so and think he's the epitome of what a guitar player should play like, look like, be like, everything. But the more I see these video clips and the more I hear the hypocrisy from his own mouth the more I find myself thinking he's a douche. And it kills me to say that. But sorry, he just strikes me as a pretty unlikeable guy.
    right there with you bro.