Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Kaiser Shipyards Add From 1944

Thumbing through my files for my book I came across this add from 1944. It's an add by Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, CA, about employmeny oppertunities.

We Need Men And Women NOW for Vital War Work

KAISER SHIPYARDS
    Richmond, California
    Housing Available (Dormitories for Single Men & Women) Room and Board Advanced - Transportation Advanced

1,000 Electrician Trainees Needed NOW!

TRAIN IN OUR OWN ELECTRICAL SCHOOL
    Earn $214 month while learning. First 2 weeks (96 hours) .95 cents per hour. Next 60 days $1.05 per hour.
    THEN .05 CENTS per HOUR INCREASE EVERY 60 DAYS until Journeyman Electrcian Rating Is Attained

500 Boilermaker Helpers, .95 cents per hour
    30 Maintenance Carpenters, $1.34 per Hour
    50 Construction Laborers, $1 per Hour
    30 Warehousemen, .92 cents per Hour

Monday, March 20th through Saturday, March 25th

If you live in the Bay Area you've heard of Kaiser Health services, that's the last remaining element of this ship building giant. I love looking through old news papers on microfilm as much for the adds as I do the stories. The local supermarket advertised lard. Just a window on the past.

That was great friggin' money for 1944. Considering that you could buy a house for $3000 just about anywhere in California after WWII.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Cool...what is your book about? Is it a historical narrative, or did it just require some historical research?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

just had an Aha moment...visited your blog.

Good luck with your book.
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,358 Posts

researching the mirofilms of old newspapers can be addictive...

You start out looking for one thing and before you know it, an entire afternoon is gone

fascinating though

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, carpenters made more than electricians. No wonder my great-grandfather was a carpenter back in the day including enjoying something he was great at.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Found this while looking up Kelly's Heroes a while back. While not directly related to the thread, nonetheless found it interesting.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Found this while looking up Kelly's Heroes a while back. While not directly related to the thread, nonetheless found it interesting.

World War II Propaganda is excellent...really all of the stuff from the early 20th Century is priceless.

Great find chef!
    But change is!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It took me ten months to sift through 50 years of microfilm of the local paper.

Although my book only focused on a 10 year span, it turned out the the 7th Infantry Division's history is deeply intertwined with Monterey County's history and I found my self goin back to 1940 and the start of construction of Fort Ord, the 7th ID being activated at Fort Ord in early 1941, Gen. Joseph Stillwell taking command of the new "Light Infantry" division and their adventures of 1941 which the local paper chronicled in some detail. The paper's readed became attached to the division because many of the officers lived off base in the various communities on the peninsula.

Then the unit deployed to Attu in 1942 and from there they went island hopping all the way to the Philippines. They then took up a post in Korea at the end of WWII. They were the unit that the North Koreans pushed south during the initial invasion.

Anyway, between the 7thID and then Fort Ord becoming a basic training and advanced infantry training base I found plenty of stories to interest me. This was especially true during the Vietnam war as you had hippie, anit-war protesters at the gates and Jane Fonda putting on anti-war vaudeville shows at the fairgrounds for the soldiers at Fort Ord. Then you had the Monterey Pop Festival which was fun to read about as a current event as opposed to history, the paper made fun of the hippies and put the word "Musician" in quotes when they talked about Jimi Hendrix's performance.

Along the way I found stories about murders (Monterey County was a violent place in the 1960s and 70s), UFOs, missing persons and all kinds of off the wall stuff that I copied and added to a file. Once my book is done I have all kinds of cool stuff to write about.

It's all good for perspective because it showed me that the US or the world hasn't changed all that much. The world isn't much more violent today than it was in the mid-20th century and there were many stories of evil things done by "Good Kids" and jealous husbands. The weather has had it's bad years when it seemed that the country was cursed by tornadoes and hurricanes and blizzards. Politicians have always been idiots.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

Pretty interesting stuff...I'd love to read it, could you let me know when its published...I'll pick up a copy.
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

In 1944 a steak dinner with side dishes was about 1.75 and that was big money.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    In 1944 a steak dinner with side dishes was about 1.75 and that was big money.
    No kidding. When I was a kid, there was a restaurant called The Black Angus, where you could get a steak dinner with sides and salad for like a buck and change. Of course given inflation, that same buck is now equal to around 15-16 dollars today.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    No kidding. When I was a kid, there was a restaurant called The Black Angus, where you could get a steak dinner with sides and salad for like a buck and change. Of course given inflation, that same buck is now equal to around 15-16 dollars today.

My dad loved that place and as I recall, it was pretty good as well.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    World War II Propaganda is excellent...really all of the stuff from the early 20th Century is priceless.

Great find chef!
    When I was in college in Houston I took a course, Propaganda and the Mass Media. It was taught by a brilliant professor from South Africa, Dr. Jowett, as I recall. The entire course was centered around studying propaganda in a way that helped us understand the difference between the conotative and denotative definitions of the word, how the media and governments work together to create and distribute it and how, despite what some may wish to believe, the US is one the best propagandists in world history. We studied German propaganda leading up to WWII a lot, in fact, he was approved to show us Rats, the German film about Jews likening them to...well...rats. We also watched a bunch of film about the Korean war and WWII from the US side. The old ads are just incredible, particularly when I think about who the US enlisted to make the films...Disney, Warner Bros, and some of hollywoods biggest directors...and yeah, would not be considered "politically correct" by most people's standards today.