Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default The A-HA thread - Best band this decade

    Yeah you read that right. Their fans include U2, Leonard Cohen, Graham Nash, Morrissey, Robbie Williams (ugh), Pet Shop Boys and they hold they've got the third most highly viewed internet aired concert. They had the highest paying audience ever in 1991 ahead of George Michael, Prince or McCartney.


    I'm pulling out songs almost entirely from two albums they released this decade (they have three, the fourth coming out this March.) I'm going to post about 10 or more and there's not one that wouldn't have been a chart hit for a new band that came from somewhere other than cold Norway.


    Summer Moved On - song starts at 3:20




    Minor Earth, Major Sky



    Little Black Heart



    Over the Treetops (features Graham Nash on backing vocals)



    Mary Ellen



    Lifelines



    Celice



    Velvet



    The Sun Never Shone That Day



    I Wish I Cared



    Cozy Prisons, embedding disabled


  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! Bullwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.07
    Location
    698 Sycamore Road, San Pueblo, CA
    Posts
    2,789
    Favorite VH Album

    Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

    I Think I Love You
    Last Online

    06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    A-Ha?

    Uh-huh.

    Hmmm...

    Nah!







    Don't read this.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Likes
    1,014
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

    Default

    Is it me or the guy totally changed his voice and is now kind of a Radiohead clone?

    Not everyone liked it, but at least their eighties stuff was unique:



    The dude had a unique clean voice, very clear in the upper register. The feel was different. "The Sun Always Shines on TV" - cool title. Their lyrics made no sense but that was the beauty of it. Total 80s' escapism!
    Little Dreamer

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium sisca's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,186
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

    06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    stop. just....stop. do you rollerblade too?
    """"\//-/""""


    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!


    www.myspace.com/mikesisca

    "If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

    " SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

    DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!



    “ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

    then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,945
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Likes
    3,517
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

    Default

    I don't dig A-HA, but I saw a clip on VH1 once in which Mark Mcgrath (sp?) from Sugar Ray was talking about the notes he hits in Take on Me, basically saying, and I paraphrase "dude, that was before Pro Tools, he hit that note every night on tour without Pro Tools, gotta give him some props"

    Nothing else to add, as the only song I know by them is Take On Me. Like that tune though.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  6. #6
    5150 YO!Edward's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Age
    36
    Location
    Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Posts
    618
    Favorite VH Album

    VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

    09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A-ha are a great band. I went to watch them live in 2001, was a great show.

    Personal favourite song is 'Manhattan Skyline' or 'Rolling Thunder'. Check them out.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

    Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

    'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

    Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!


    YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

  7. #7
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    A-Ha?

    Uh-huh.

    Hmmm...

    Nah!
    I know you're thinking of Take on me. That's why I put up those videos. Trust me, it's no 80s pop.



    Dave: Carl Perkins said something like 'that man's got pipes' when he heard him sing that live.

  8. #8
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YO!Edward View Post
    A-ha are a great band. I went to watch them live in 2001, was a great show.

    Personal favourite song is 'Manhattan Skyline' or 'Rolling Thunder'. Check them out.

    Cool!

    I might put up a few more of their videos, older ones. I just wanted to start off saying that they're incredible right now in this decade. Heck none of today's bands are putting out stuff like this and certainly none of their contemporaries from the 80s.

  9. #9
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sisca View Post
    stop. just....stop. do you rollerblade too?
    No, but I think Dave used to.

    Shows some people's way of thinking. Back in the 80s a-ha guitarist said that they were more of a rock band than Def Leppard. He wasn't kidding either. Even if they weren't as guitar heavy their songs were all dark and moody, which means they were more of a rock band than most of Sammy era Halen.


    Check this out from 1991.


  10. #10
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Taylor View Post
    Yeah you read that right. Their fans include U2, Leonard Cohen, Graham Nash, Morrissey, Robbie Williams (ugh), Pet Shop Boys and they hold they've got the third most highly viewed internet aired concert. They had the highest paying audience ever in 1991 ahead of George Michael, Prince or McCartney.


    I'm pulling out songs almost entirely from two albums they released this decade (they have three, the fourth coming out this March.) I'm going to post about 10 or more and there's not one that wouldn't have been a chart hit for a new band that came from somewhere other than cold Norway.


    Summer Moved On - song starts at 3:20




    Minor Earth, Major Sky



    Little Black Heart



    Over the Treetops (features Graham Nash on backing vocals)



    Mary Ellen



    Lifelines



    Celice



    Velvet



    The Sun Never Shone That Day



    I Wish I Cared



    Cozy Prisons, embedding disabled

    I thought I was the only one who listened to their 90's and 2000's stuff. Minor Earth Major Sky is one of my favorites. Lifelines and Analouge are very good also. Recently I have listened to Morten Harket's new solo cd. I have to give it a few more spins, but so far it seems to fit into the mold of the recent A-HA output. Memorial Beach is also one of my favorites. It came out right about the time grunge rock took the spotlight. But it was a very good cd. I did not know they had a disc in the works, I will look forward to getting it when it comes out. Thanks for the info.

  11. #11
    Good Enough pal1800's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.30.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Mandeville, LA
    Posts
    1,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

    Too hard to choose
    Last Online

    06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Taylor View Post
    Cool!

    I might put up a few more of their videos, older ones. I just wanted to start off saying that they're incredible right now in this decade. Heck none of today's bands are putting out stuff like this and certainly none of their contemporaries from the 80s.
    Well how about U2? And also the last two Simple Minds records were really good(Cry 2002, Black White 050505, 2005). Not quite the same genere, but close, the Cure and Depeche Mode keep cranking out some quality records. The new Cure cd 413 Dream is the best in a decade or more IMO.

  12. #12
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've got to check those Simple Minds records, I've heard their good. Never been a Cure fan and I really can't stand U2, especially this decade.

  13. #13
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    I thought I was the only one who listened to their 90's and 2000's stuff. Minor Earth Major Sky is one of my favorites. Lifelines and Analouge are very good also. Recently I have listened to Morten Harket's new solo cd. I have to give it a few more spins, but so far it seems to fit into the mold of the recent A-HA output. Memorial Beach is also one of my favorites. It came out right about the time grunge rock took the spotlight. But it was a very good cd. I did not know they had a disc in the works, I will look forward to getting it when it comes out. Thanks for the info.

    You're welcome. Nice to see another fan from beyond the 80s. I don't like any of their solo stuff much, wish I did. Memorial Beach is also one of my favs. I love Minor earth and Analouge. East of the sun is probably my fave, along with Scoundrel Days.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default

    "The A-HA thread - Best band this decade"

    and

    Eddie Van Halen is a stupid, psychotic asshole and a lousy excuse for a human being; his fans are twice as bad.


    OK...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  15. #15
    Banned! Andy Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.06
    Posts
    178
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Outta Love again
    Last Online

    12.02.09 @ 09:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Brilliant reasoning.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Here In The Warehouse - The Dave Matthews Band Thread
    By Double Down in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 02.18.13, 07:58 AM
  2. Steve Miller Band thread
    By Hotlantadude1981 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06.09.12, 04:47 PM
  3. The Next Great American Band thread
    By Warmoth in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10.20.07, 08:07 AM
  4. Best band of each decade
    By Dan Halen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05.11.01, 08:03 PM
  5. Best "Live" Band this Past Decade, ...
    By No Bozo's in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12.04.00, 11:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •