Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Default My Mother's Cancer is Spreading, any help would be appreciated!

First off I would like to say that I visit the links daily and though I have never met any of you personally, I feel like when I visit here I'm always visiting with friends. That is why I'm turning to the Linkers for any help that they can give, it doesn't matter how.

My mother who is 59 has been diagnosed with a rare cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. It usually affects the bones, but does have the ability to develop in soft tissue sometimes. It started about a year ago when she bumped the area just below her shoulder on a dresser in her bedroom. The area started to swell and look bruised so we thought nothing of it, just what normally happens when someone bumps something a little too hard. But the swelling didn't go down so my parents went to the doctor who thought that it might be some sort of lymphoma, which by the time he was looking at had grown pretty large, so he squeezed tissue and fluid out thinking that it would help somehow. This did not help and eventually the same doctor decided that he needed to clear it out through surgery, this still didn't do much except make it grow back just the same.

After going through all of that they switched to another doctor who did a a biopsy and found that it was Ewing's Sarcoma, so they decided that chemotherapy was the way to go along with surgery and then radiation. The radiation just finished about two months ago and everything seemed fine. My mom was feeling good, walking a few miles everyday and just in good spirits. Well, about a week before Christmas they went to the doctor expecting to get the all clear, when he walked in exclaiming "Bad news Linda it has spread to both your lungs." Not the best way to go about delivering bad news, obviously this made for a very sad Christmas for all of us, but still feeling that there was hope out there.

The day after New Year's myself, my fiancee and a couple of friends were sitting around our apartment when my dad called saying that something had happened to my mom and that she was having trouble talking and breathing that he was taking her to the hospital in Sharon, Pa were they live. My fiancee and I left immediately to be with her and see what happened.

We got to the hospital around 2 or 3 in the morning and could see that something was clearly wrong. My mom was breathing heavy and her speech was intelligible but the words just didn't want to come out a lot of the time.

We stayed till about six in the morning went home and got a couple hours of sleep and then we were back at the hospital the next morning. It was around 5:30pm when a neurologist came in after examining her MRI and told us that he had found four lesions on her brain. I can't tell you how it felt to hear that, it was like living a nightmare (as I am sure some here know).

What I want to say to all of you is that my mother has battled her whole life for herself and more so for my father and I. In 1981 she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease and fought through it and declared cancer free around 1990 I believe. My father is retired and their insurance only covers the hospitals here in western Pennsylvania, all I want is for her to get the best care possible even if it can only give her a year or so. Right now she is so frail and frightened I can't begin to explain to you and all she wants is a little more time so she can see a few things. She has never been able to travel, never been on an airplane and all I really would like is so that she has the time to see my fiancee I and get married.

I understand that many of you have probably gone through something like this but battling through cancer once is enough, this is horrible and all I ask is anything anybody can say or do is appreciated. A kind word, some information that might be positive, anything. I have researched more than I can say and the more I read the more I feel that maybe there have been a few misdiagnosis since Ewing's is primarily a childhood disease and is very rare and that her current situation (problem with speech and trouble breathing coincided with the doctor saying that the cancer spread, maybe a stroke) Maybe I am grasping at straws, but if anybody knows of anything that I can do or anyone else can do please please let me know.

If you would like to get in touch with me my email is hbkdgenr8@yahoo.com and PM me if you would like my mothers address or phone numbers. I just wanted to turn to you guys and girls and tell you about this. Thanks for listening.

Matt

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
    First off I would like to say that I visit the links daily and though I have never met any of you personally, I feel like when I visit here I'm always visiting with friends. That is why I'm turning to the Linkers for any help that they can give, it doesn't matter how.

My mother who is 59 has been diagnosed with a rare cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. It usually affects the bones, but does have the ability to develop in soft tissue sometimes. It started about a year ago when she bumped the area just below her shoulder on a dresser in her bedroom. The area started to swell and look bruised so we thought nothing of it, just what normally happens when someone bumps something a little too hard. But the swelling didn't go down so my parents went to the doctor who thought that it might be some sort of lymphoma, which by the time he was looking at had grown pretty large, so he squeezed tissue and fluid out thinking that it would help somehow. This did not help and eventually the same doctor decided that he needed to clear it out through surgery, this still didn't do much except make it grow back just the same.

After going through all of that they switched to another doctor who did a a biopsy and found that it was Ewing's Sarcoma, so they decided that chemotherapy was the way to go along with surgery and then radiation. The radiation just finished about two months ago and everything seemed fine. My mom was feeling good, walking a few miles everyday and just in good spirits. Well, about a week before Christmas they went to the doctor expecting to get the all clear, when he walked in exclaiming "Bad news Linda it has spread to both your lungs." Not the best way to go about delivering bad news, obviously this made for a very sad Christmas for all of us, but still feeling that there was hope out there.

The day after New Year's myself, my fiancee and a couple of friends were sitting around our apartment when my dad called saying that something had happened to my mom and that she was having trouble talking and breathing that he was taking her to the hospital in Sharon, Pa were they live. My fiancee and I left immediately to be with her and see what happened.

We got to the hospital around 2 or 3 in the morning and could see that something was clearly wrong. My mom was breathing heavy and her speech was intelligible but the words just didn't want to come out a lot of the time.

We stayed till about six in the morning went home and got a couple hours of sleep and then we were back at the hospital the next morning. It was around 5:30pm when a neurologist came in after examining her MRI and told us that he had found four lesions on her brain. I can't tell you how it felt to hear that, it was like living a nightmare (as I am sure some here know).

What I want to say to all of you is that my mother has battled her whole life for herself and more so for my father and I. In 1981 she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease and fought through it and declared cancer free around 1990 I believe. My father is retired and their insurance only covers the hospitals here in western Pennsylvania, all I want is for her to get the best care possible even if it can only give her a year or so. Right now she is so frail and frightened I can't begin to explain to you and all she wants is a little more time so she can see a few things. She has never been able to travel, never been on an airplane and all I really would like is so that she has the time to see my fiancee I and get married.

I understand that many of you have probably gone through something like this but battling through cancer once is enough, this is horrible and all I ask is anything anybody can say or do is appreciated. A kind word, some information that might be positive, anything. I have researched more than I can say and the more I read the more I feel that maybe there have been a few misdiagnosis since Ewing's is primarily a childhood disease and is very rare and that her current situation (problem with speech and trouble breathing coincided with the doctor saying that the cancer spread, maybe a stroke) Maybe I am grasping at straws, but if anybody knows of anything that I can do or anyone else can do please please let me know.

If you would like to get in touch with me my email is hbkdgenr8@yahoo.com and PM me if you would like my mothers address or phone numbers. I just wanted to turn to you guys and girls and tell you about this. Thanks for listening.

Matt
    Matt... my dad dealt with Hodgkins several years back and has been cancer free for 8 years now. Every time he has a lump or bump we panic of course. I know how you must be feeling. I can only offer my prayers for you and your family at this time. There really are no words that will truely comfort you. I know that for a fact. That is something that comes from within yourself.
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats some shitty news brutha.
    Sometimes in times like this, all I (we) can do is listen. Writin that out may have helped a little
    I hope you knowing that I (us) read it and feel sorrow helps more.
    My father has cancer. Tough bird he is, I still think he's in denial. Wont give us the whole story. Ya feel helpless.
    Stay strong for the family.
    Be there for em.
    Last edited by Ron4406; 01.04.09 at 09:11 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Matt, I am sorry for what your Mom and your family is having to go through. I dont have much to offer you as far as info goes. I will say a prayer for your Mom and keep you guys in my thoughts.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I got your back in the thoughts and prayers department. My mom is battling lung cancer and just started her chemo earlier this week. I've never felt so helpless looking at her in such a weakened state. So I know how your feeling in the "world crashing down around me" department. You've got my ear when you need it.

Keep your head up bro.
    Last edited by RRMB; 01.04.09 at 09:13 PM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have, unfortunately, been through this a few times. It's no damn fun.

I'm a firm believer that the Boss upstairs will never give you more than you can handle. Although you may think that you can't handle it, you can. The trick is knowing what's your responsibility and what is not.
    Make sure you take care of yourself. Get enough sleep and eat right.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I can't express how much your kind words mean to me and how much they will mean to my family when they hear what you have to say. For those of you going through the same thing right now I certainly feel for you and your family members are in my prayers.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a good friend of mine just passed from cancer and my coworker passed from cancer this weekend. Im a cancer survivor myself. Its really bizarre how this cancer thing is really hitting alot of people. We really need to do more for cancer because it is now IN EVERYONES LIVES. Its crazy how when you talk to people they always say that "there is so much that they are doing for cancer these days" Well? why are more people getting it?

Man I would contact the Lance Armstrong Foundation. It is absolutley awesome. They just have their shit together and have many resources to look up. They give you inspiration to be strong.

www.livestrong.org

Good luck God Bless

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

my family has dodged the cancer bullet to this point. There have been a couple scares with my mom and a couple with my dad and each time we all hold our breaths. I'm not going to pretend to know what you, judgement day, or your mom are going through or what any of the rest of you guys deal with but I will say this: I too come here every day and I think very highly of this community. There's a lot of times when we disagree on stuff (VH III for starters! ) but also some more serious stuff and I always feel like in the end, we're all friends. Any and all of you have my deepest prayers and hopes and well wishes for all your families and friends and if any of you ever need anything, I, in whatever capacity I'm able, will always be there.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thoughts and prayers are on their way. I've been through this several times with friends and family (currently with my sister in law) and it never gets any easier. From reading through your original post, I gather there may be confusion on the doctor's part as to exactly what your mother has?

I would suggest contacting either Sloan/Kettering or Duke University, both of which have been instrumental in my sister in law have the quantity and quality of life she has had thus far.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

I don't know much about cancer but HH does. All I can offer is my prayers and I'm pretty good at that. Listen to the others, look up all alternatives, if she is willing, try everything. At least you will know you did what you could no matter how this turns out. Miracles do happen, just don't lose hope.

TST<-----------you will be in my thoughts-----------

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. So sorry.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I realize that your father's insurance precludes you from movng your mother, but there are lung cancer studies being done throughout the country. Perhaps you can start by contacting the National Cancer Institute or the American Cancer Association for tips on where a study is being conducted in your area. Or simply Google "Lung Cancer Studies" or "Ewings Sarcoma" and you answer might be right there.

My mother battled Colon Cancer, this summer and still has to be constantly checked.

Aboveall, and I know this is easy for me to say but I mean it, stay strong and keep your wits about you. Think positively and be proactive.

My thoughts are with you.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    I realize that your father's insurance precludes you from movng your mother, but there are lung cancer studies being done throughout the country. Perhaps you can start by contacting the National Cancer Institute or the American Cancer Association for tips on where a study is being conducted in your area. Or simply Google "Lung Cancer Studies" or "Ewings Sarcoma" and you answer might be right there.

My mother battled Colon Cancer, this summer and still has to be constantly checked.

Aboveall, and I know this is easy for me to say but I mean it, stay strong and keep your wits about you. Think positively and be proactive.

My thoughts are with you.
    My first post was somewhat rushed as my youngest and I were heading out the door, but Duke University has many experimental protocols/studies going on. While Sloan/Kettering did help my sister in law, most of her treatments were done at Duke.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.02.14 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Grandmother had Cancer a few years back and really the only advice is to stay stong. If you show your mom that you are stong it will give her the feeling to fight every day. It really is a daily struggle and the stronger you are around her the stonger she will feel.

I know what you are going through and will be praying for you, brother!