Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Need advice on guitar effects processor rack

After a break of a few years form recording demos, I'm getting back into it and have no idea of what's out there. I used to own a Sony HR-GP5 which was a great little half-rack unit but it died on me a couple of years ago. What I liked about it is that apart from guitar effects, it also had presets for bass, vocals and drums. Perfect for recording demos, it was kind of an "all in one" type of unit. The screen display was also very user friendly. Since I don't play live I don't need a pedal-type unit, I'm looking for something in the rack format.

Can you guys let me know what's out there that would be somewhat comparable? Really appreciate the help!
    Little Dreamer

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.17.10 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there,

I've used the Line 6 POD line in the studio quite a bit, both in the non-rackmounted "kidney bean" shaped POD XT and the floor pedal POD X3 Live (NOTE: both also come in a rack mount configuration). They offer great clean, mid-gain, and high-gain models of amps ranging from the Fender Deluxe to the Peavey 5150 II to more Boutique-ish amps like Bogner and Soldano. The effects are pretty usable as well, although in the studio, recording the signal "dry" and then adding effects afterwards via external plug-ins or Aux sends might be a more sonically desirable possibility. That method tends to sound a little cleaner, and allow you to dial up stereo effects, in addition to the advantage of not locking you into the recorded effect if you change your mind later...

For a little more money ($1,300), you can pick up a Rocktron Prophesy II rack unit, which is a pretty amazing monster from what I understand. It does everything the Line 6 stuff does as mentioned above, just better...

I use a Line 6 Vetta, which isn't a rackmount unit, but is a full on 2x12 combo with amp models, effects pedal models, and rack effects models built in. I use it for most of my recordings (demos and final mixes), and am very, very impressed with it. The great thing about it is that I can turn off the 2X12 speakers, and just use the 1/4" and XLR outs for recording, as well as to keep the level down. Send me an IM if you'd like, and I'll send you a few recordings I've done with it.

I'm sure some of the other guys here can give a little more insight into their rack rigs of choice...Good luck!
    www.tunecore.com/music/brandonkeirns

The most important pieces of musical gear are the ones you can't buy; your hands, your head, and your heart.

I can't "think" my way to a great riff, I can only "feel" it when I hear it...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I keep hearing about those Axe-FX units...what really interests me is from my understanding you can take existing amp models and modify them, in essence building your own custom amp...

I could be wrong on the above description...but it sounds pretty cool to me.

Other than that, you have a ton of options with Line 6 out there, also the above poster mentions the Rocktron unit, I had a buddy in college who had one of those and it really was an excellent unit...

Its a great time to be a guitarist, whatever you want, there is prolly something out there that meets you at least halfway...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Thanks guys.

Actually I'm not looking for any amp modeling unit. I have a Mesa Boogie combo, I'm all set.
    Its more the delay, compression, chorus, flange, reverb, etc. that interest me, and not only for the guitar, but also for bass and vocals - i'll use the unit as the main effects provider for all the instruments on my demo.

What about the tc electronic g-major? I've heard some good things about it.
    Little Dreamer

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

07.17.10 @ 05:17 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great call! The G Major might be exactly what you need. It's a stripped-down rackmount version of the G Force units that Steve Vai and Neal Schon have been using in their rigs with great success. Interesting you mentioned that you're using a Mesa Boogie and don't need an amp modeler; a guy who reviewed the G Major on the Guitar Center website was also using a Mesa, and mentioned he didn't want to clutter the amp's tone, just enhance it a bit with a few effects. The link to that review is here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Elect...20-i1124654.gc

Good luck!

TC Electronics' effects work very well not just for guitar, but also for vocals, bass, and just about anything you can toss at it, so you likely won't need anything else...
    www.tunecore.com/music/brandonkeirns

The most important pieces of musical gear are the ones you can't buy; your hands, your head, and your heart.

I can't "think" my way to a great riff, I can only "feel" it when I hear it...

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the axe-fx is a great unit as well as the gmajor. the digitech 2120 is still a great unit as well.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quilttop1 View Post
    Great call! The G Major might be exactly what you need. It's a stripped-down rackmount version of the G Force units that Steve Vai and Neal Schon have been using in their rigs with great success. Interesting you mentioned that you're using a Mesa Boogie and don't need an amp modeler; a guy who reviewed the G Major on the Guitar Center website was also using a Mesa, and mentioned he didn't want to clutter the amp's tone, just enhance it a bit with a few effects. The link to that review is here:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Elect...20-i1124654.gc

Good luck!

TC Electronics' effects work very well not just for guitar, but also for vocals, bass, and just about anything you can toss at it, so you likely won't need anything else...
    I'm going to list a barely-used TC Electronic G Major w/ G Minor footswitch for sale this week. Let me know if you're interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eBay_GMajor_01.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	1112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eBay_GMajor_02.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	1113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eBay_GMajor_03.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1114  

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I'm going to list a barely-used TC Electronic G Major w/ G Minor footswitch for sale this week. Let me know if you're interested.
    AT,

Did you use the G Major in the loop on a 5150? If so how did it sound. I've had my eye on one for a while but never pulled the trigger.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TopJoey View Post
    AT,

Did you use the G Major in the loop on a 5150? If so how did it sound. I've had my eye on one for a while but never pulled the trigger.
    No, I never put it through the 5150. I bought it in the summer of '07, and at that time several folks here suggested it might not work well through the 5150 effects loop (though I don't recall why). It was always my intention to use the G-Major primarily in the studio, but the thing pretty much sat there unused. I don't have enough patience to dink around with programming and all that jazz. I'm an old-fashioned dummy when it comes to effects: "Step on pedal, pedal make cool sound." (The couple of times I did plug it in, though, I was quite impressed with the quality of the effects.)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Nice. Thanks guys for the advice. Seems the G Major gets a strong vote of confidence. Is there any competitive product from other brands?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G-Major is great, I must agree. I recently checked out the new TC-Electronics Nova system that is very similar to the G-Major. It was half the cost and had a ton of stuff in it. Check it out too... might be what your looking for and it's under $700.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon