Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Default Opinions...can I find those around here? :-)

...I'm sure I can.

So I got 400 bucks to go towards gittin' me a new gitfittle from Santa. I found a guy selling one of these for 380 about 45 minutes from my house.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S520EX

Thoughts or experience with these pieces from anybody? I always appreciate you hardcore dudes' thoughts...

I think it's probably pretty stock (no pickup upgrades etc)
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well if you know for sure that it is what he says it is then that is a pretty cool guitar. I can imagine its more of a middle of the line ibanez but even there middle of the line is pretty cool.

Go for it.

just remember that a floyd type of floating trem system can be a pain in the ass to maintain. and that one looks really trick so be ready to take a Ferarri to the shop often.
    Last edited by Len75; 01.01.09 at 10:16 PM. Reason: add more

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,329 Times in 3,179 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

For the price it seems to be a good deal. Ibanez one of the better guitar manufacturers these days.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len75 View Post
    just remember that a floyd type of floating trem system can be a pain in the ass to maintain. and that one looks really trick so be ready to take a Ferarri to the shop often.
    The ZR trem on those is actually a lot easier to use than a standard Floyd, provided the previous owner hasn't removed the Zero Point System. It's a lot easier to tune and so on. I recently bought one of these:

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2550Z

And I'm very happy with it. The S520 series you linked to is the more mid range Korean made line, but I tried one when I was shopping around and I really liked it. You can't really go wrong so long as the previous owner took care of it. While the pickups aren't awful, they're not great either. But the trem is top notch and the neck is good, so a pair of Seymours or DiMarzios would put the icing on the cake.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you ca't really go wrong with the ibanez s-series, for the money you'll be shelling out you get a guitar thats worth far more in the long run.
    great neck, a sim comfortable body and a floyd variant thats very reliable and easier to maintain than the original. all you really need to do is maybe upgrade the pups, and thats just a matter of personal taste, you may like them.

so go for it seen buddy, i doubt you'll be disappointed
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

these are very soundly made guitars...a good choice for anyone who wants something with a slim-tapered neck and that kind of sound. The pickups are not bad at all, though I've known a lot of people get emgs and throw them in these.

It's a good deal as long as it hasn't been altered or trashed or anything.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Guys, thanks a million. I really appreciate your comments. I'll go take a look at it tomorrow. I'll probably get it if it's in the condition he advertised.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Let me ask you this: If you could get the Satch model JS100 for about the same price, would you go that direction instead? I've never played one, so I'm not sure if if the name is used to inflate the price. It costs more generally, but I'm not sure that necessarily means it's worth more.

I've lined the two up and compared on Ibanez's site, but its tough for me to analyze the differences having been out of the geetar market for as long as I have been.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,329 Times in 3,179 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My advice is try them both. Its hard to have an objective opinion especially for me without trying both. For me, buying a brand new axe is one of the simple pleasures in life.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    My advice is try them both. Its hard to have an objective opinion especially for me without trying both. For me, buying a brand new axe is one of the simple pleasures in life.
    I agree, play them if you can... if they were new, I would say the js now doubt.. but if it has a floating trem (I am one of the few out here that loves them) then it can be a pain without the zero return device. Or you can block it.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

several of these in the Raleigh Guitar Center for 479... I keep thinking about making a stupid offer (like 350 or 375), but I'm scared they'd say "ok" and I'd have to tell the wife I bought another guitar. Always wanted and S series... (did they call these Sabre when they came out mid-late 80s?)

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Let me ask you this: If you could get the Satch model JS100 for about the same price, would you go that direction instead? I've never played one, so I'm not sure if if the name is used to inflate the price. It costs more generally, but I'm not sure that necessarily means it's worth more.

I've lined the two up and compared on Ibanez's site, but its tough for me to analyze the differences having been out of the geetar market for as long as I have been.
    Like the Jem 555, you'd be paying a premium for the artist name with the JS100. They're a fine guitar, but the trem is the budget Edge rather than the S520's ZR. Either would be a good guitar, but in terms of value, the S520 would get my vote. That's a personal thing, though, so as others have said it'd be best to try them both. The JS100 has a very different feel, for one thing.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    ...I'm sure I can.

So I got 400 bucks to go towards gittin' me a new gitfittle from Santa. I found a guy selling one of these for 380 about 45 minutes from my house.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S520EX

Thoughts or experience with these pieces from anybody? I always appreciate you hardcore dudes' thoughts...

I think it's probably pretty stock (no pickup upgrades etc)
    I got the Ibanez S470DXQM last Christmas and I love it. Paid about $500 and so far a year later seems like a good choice. Don't play it alot but some times it's nice to put the Wolfie down and grab the Ibanez, totally different feel but still a cool guitar. For a decent spare guitar you can't go wrong with an Ibanez.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S470DXQM

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the satch is a fine guitar, always thought it was weighted really well and had an overall nice feel...not my sort of guitar, but if I were into that style of instrument, I'd probably play a satch before almost anything else.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

Donor

Thanks again guys for your input. I went a slightly different direction from the mahogany thoughts, but I'm pretty excited with what I got nonetheless.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG1570

Used off ebay for under 5 bills and in great shape. Plek'd too I guess (which I knew nothing about really, but I guess that's good. lol) www.plek.com

I'm stoked to get a guitar again. I've been without for like two months. You guys in this thread and others I've read really helped me figure things out and re-learn the market. Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by seenbad; 01.11.09 at 05:58 PM.