Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default "In My Day..." The Crotchety Ole Linkers Thread

Ok. So your Wii thread got me thinking. Whatever the hell a Wii is. What Wii
    are? Anyway, there of those among us who've seen many moons who
    by now remember how harder things were back in the day and thus suspect
    that we're already on the path to grumpy old bastardom. You kids have it so
    easy. Or is that so Wiisy. Cornballs. The first sign of old-fartedness.

Shit is fucked up because in my day we had water.

And it was free. Essentially. You'd turn on the tap and there it was.
    Cool, clear and and smelling of popcorn. Alright, not popcorn. But as a kid
    in the summer you would suck the life out of a garden hose like it was the
    sweetest tit you'd ever seen. Now we have to pay for the privilege of
    fucking up the planet by paying for the privilege to fuck up the planet.
    Did I spell spell privilege right. Looks funny...

In my day we had to physically roll down the car window by hand.
    By HAND I tell you.

Likewise, if you wanted to make a phone call it was a big deal. Our house
    had one phone in the kitchen of a two story dwelling and thus you had to
    spill all your shit in top-secret kid code right there in front of everybody.
    You had to wait if someone was on it and if/when you did get to make your
    call you would similarly have to wait if the person on the other end was
    using their line. With rotary phones it would take you 20 minutes to dial
    798-9989.

And when the damn thing rang, you had no idea who it might be. Grandma?
    The IRS? Publisher's Clearing House? The Phone Killer? A complete surprise,
    you just had to pick it up and take your chances: "... um, hello?"
    That is until you becam savvy enough to know who was calling by their
    ring. But if it rang and you went to get the phone and the phone was
    not for you, you would have to hold your hand over the phone and scream
    at the top of your lungs for who the phone was for. If they did not answer by
    screaming back at you, you would have to go check everywhere looking for
    them.

And if you got stranded in your car in the middle of nowhere there was a
    very real chance you might not make it back, unless you found someone who had a phone.

Now nothing dates a movie faster than phone technology. You can tell how
    old even a movie as recent The Departed is by the phones alone...

And in my day, if we wanted to hear a collection of music we had to use
    cassette tapes. Yes, I remember 8-tracks too, but even as young half-wit I
    knew their days were numbered. I mean a fade-out in the middle of a
    song!? Get the fuck outta here. I also knew cassettes were bullshit, but
    would allow it based on the idea that it was really the only recording
    technology available to some punk consumer at the time. But unless you
    could mow enough lawns to buy the LP when it came out, you
    had to wait ever so patiently with your finger on the pause button by the
    R A D I O in the odd chance that they were going to play a song you
    wanted. Otherwise you were a mixtape has-been. These days it's like tap
    water. I guess that means soon we'll have to bottle our mp3s to throw them
    away when we're done.

Done.

But more old shit to come.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

well done!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember you had to get off your ass to change the channel on the TV. And there were only three stations on VHF and three on UHF.
    You had to turn a dial, and if you went to fast, you mom would yell at you to slow down or you would break it. Even though you never heard any of your friends tell you the broke the dial cause they spun it too fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think what I miss more than anything from my childhood is something that I am unable to give to my children, freedom. Freedom to just go out and play, run the neighborhood, ride their bikes until it's dark checking in only when it's time to eat, hanging out with their friends in the woods by the creek for as long as they want, going to the park to play sports all day, etc, etc. It's not that they don't do many of these things but it's with constant adult supervision or specific timelines all in the name of safety to make sure no one snatches them up. I hate that loss of freedom that they don't even realize that they have lost.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, it's not like I'm some young whipper-snapper, as I remember the things you mention. All I know is that the Nintendo Wii is the first video game system that's gotten me back into them since the old Nintendo NES and the Atari 2600 before that.

I don't have caller ID, call waiting and all that crap on my phone and I have two phones (one number) in my house, although one is a portable. Hell, I remember getting our first tone dial phone back when I was a teenager only to have to set it to "pulse" dialing because our area wasn't set up for tone dialing yet.

I mowed lawns, cleaned yards and garages for the priveledge to buy most of the stuff I wanted, and yes, I had my share of 8 tracks...although I had plenty of LPs and singles as well, still do.

Getting back to the Wii for a moment though, this little gem has gotten our three boys, my wife and me closer than few things likely could. On any given night you may find us bowling, playing tennis or perhaps racing...and because you don't simply press button "A" to make your character bowl, you have to actually go through the motions as if you were at a real alley.

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I think what I miss more than anything from my childhood is something that I am unable to give to my children, freedom. Freedom to just go out and play, run the neighborhood, ride their bikes until it's dark checking in only when it's time to eat, hanging out with their friends in the woods by the creek for as long as they want, going to the park to play sports all day, etc, etc. It's not that they don't do many of these things but it's with constant adult supervision or specific timelines all in the name of safety to make sure no one snatches them up. I hate that loss of freedom that they don't even realize that they have lost.
    Sad but true...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cool thread!!

In my day the only way to get concert tix was to wait in line at the venue. I remember waiting in line for several hours to get tix for the VH II tour. Best seats in the house were only like $7

When I was a kid we waited our turn to play this new electronic table game called "Pong" ...Talk about complex graphics

Buying $2 or $3 of gas at a time was the norm...

Under the dash Pioneer Super Tuner cassete was the bomb!!
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

...edit..

I was typing the same thing about tix as Axe.. he beat me to the punch..
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I remember buying my first Atari 2600 USED for $140...How'd I get the dough? For two years, through middle school, I had the second most coveted job in Riverside, California...I slung the Riverside Press-Enterprise EVERY morning at 5 am...110 papers every morning, rain or shine...Saturday was a breeze, but Sunday meant stuffing all that advertising in the paper...UGH...Papers were so heavy that my front bike tire actually collapsed on the way home...haha...

There were those wonderful customers who always paid me when I went collecting, then those who always added a TIP, then those who invited me in for a soda, those who left a bag of treats on the porch every holiday, and those who stiffed every month...After the second stiff, you got the special wake up call...woe to you if you had a screen door...

All for approximately $150 per month...a king's ransom for a kid back in 1981...

Do they even let kids throw the paper anymore?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

How about basic, good old fashioned common decency and the respect for others? Everywhere you go today some self absorbed ass-hat is yelling into a cell phone at the top of his/her lungs, broadcasting a coversation of such dire importance that the audible end of it consists of "What's up?" and some assorted grunts. Who are these dimwits talking to? What conversation is so damned important that it requires a person to immediately call someone from inside a church, library or movie theater?

How about car alarms that happen to go off when a bird sits on the fender, and the owner is out of range to hear it blaring away? Or better yet, what about people having some respect for property other than their own? There is nothing quite so gratifying as finding a fast food bag and containers of soda all over your front lawn when getting out to get the paper in the morning.

It all comes down to a bizarre form of petty selfishness. People have this disgusting "Me first!" attitude that extends to everything from driving habits and shopping to simple human interaction. And it isn't limited to young people, who are most likely too ignorant to know better. This is learned behavior, coming from the parents. Yup, shitheads my own age and older are at the center of fault in this. There is this expedient sense of entitlement at work here, based solely upon ignorance.

Remember the ghost of Christmas current in Dicken's A Christmas Carol? Hidden under his robe were two feral children, the names of which were Ignorance and Want. Perhaps this is a tad melodramatic, yet as an allegory I find it fitting:

"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased."

Yeah, fairly heavy-handed, I'll admit. Yet unless people start behaving with a concern for others than themselves in life, we all are pretty much fucked, one way or another.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 12.31.08 at 08:30 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post

Getting back to the Wii for a moment though, this little gem has gotten our three boys, my wife and me closer than few things likely could. On any given night you may find us bowling, playing tennis or perhaps racing...and because you don't simply press button "A" to make your character bowl, you have to actually go through the motions as if you were at a real alley.

Same with our family, although it's not fun to get beat by a 6 year old in WII bowling. How he got 4 strikes in a row last night, I'll never figure out.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    Cool thread!!

In my day the only way to get concert tix was to wait in line at the venue. I remember waiting in line for several hours to get tix for the VH II tour. Best seats in the house were only like $7
    Well, we sat in line at the record store back in the day rather than the venue, but it's the same idea...no tickerbastage. Yeah, back then that was the only reason to camp out somewhere, not some DVD player on sale for $3 on black Friday.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

In the summertime, when I was nine years old, my buddy and I would ride our bikes over to the strip mall a few miles from my house. We'd spend the morning scouting around the weeds and dumpsters around back looking for treasure and empty soda bottles. (Once, we found and old Playboy magazine! That was a great day.)
    We could take the soda bottles over to the grocery store and get ten cents apiece for them. A few hours of scrounging usually got us a dollar or so. That was enough to buy some candy. There was also a Waffle House nearby that would give us a free glass of water when we went in and sat at the counter.
    We both had library cards, so sometimes we'd go over to the library and check out books.
    In the afternoon, we'd ride around to the various neighborhoods looking for friends. There was usually a street football or baseball game going on. Frisbee golf was also popular, so was "Manhunt", a more macho form of hide-and-seek.
    In the evening, it was usually time for me to head back home to have dinner and play in my own neighborhood until dark.
    Then, maybe, watch a little tv (with only three channels there usually wasn't much good on) and go to bed.
    In the morning, get up and do it all over again.

I should also mention that it didn't cost a dime. (Unless you consider my parents' initial expense of a used bicycle.) What? Are you kidding? We were kids. Kids don't need money!

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I had one of those "God Im old" moments last night trying to explain the magnetic stripe on a credit card to my 11 yr old:
    "What's that stripe thing made of, Dad?"
    "Well, you know what the tape inside a cassette looks like?"
    "What's a cassette?"
    "OK, have you ever looked at the tape inside a videotape?"
    "What's a videotape?"
    "Never mind...go to bed"
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    How about basic, good old fashioned common decency and the respect for others? Everywhere you go today some self absorbed ass-hat is yelling into a cell phone at the top of his/her lungs, broadcasting a coversation of such dire importance that the audible end of it consists of "What's up?" and some assorted grunts. Who are these dimwits talking to? What conversation is so damned important that it requires a person to immediately call someone from inside a church, library or movie theater?

How about car alarms that happen to go off when a bird sits on the fender, and the owner is out of range to hear it blaring away? Or better yet, what about people having some respect for property other than their own? There is nothing quite so gratifying as finding a fast food bag and containers of soda all over your front lawn when getting out to get the paper in the morning.

It all comes down to a bizarre form of petty selfishness. People have this disgusting "Me first!" attitude that extends to everything from driving habits and shopping to simple human interaction. And it isn't limited to young people, who are most likely too ignorant to know better. This is learned behavior, coming from the parents. Yup, shitheads my own age and older are at the center of fault here. There is this expedient sense of entitlement at work here, based solely upon ignorance.

Remember the ghost of Christmas current in Dicken's A Christmas Carol? Hidden under his robe were two feral children, the names of which were Ignorance and Want. Perhaps this is a tad melodramatic, yet as an allegory I find it fitting:

"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased."

Yeah, fairly heavy-handed, I'll admit. Yet unless people start behaving with a concern for others than themselves in life, we all are pretty much fucked, one way or another.
    Sad, but very true. On any given morning, I can walk out to the street and see beer cans/bottles and/or hard liquor bottles strewn both in the grass and in the street itself. I won't even get into the cell phone deal. Simply being considerate in this day and age seems to have become a lost art.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Same with our family, although it's not fun to get beat by a 6 year old in WII bowling. How he got 4 strikes in a row last night, I'll never figure out.
    Yeah, that's part of the charm of the Wii, especially bowling. My 10 year old regularly takes me to school, which puts a huge smile on his face.
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 12.31.08 at 08:35 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]