Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default "biggest reformation" of 2009 is set to be announced soon, according to promoter Rob

{A few weeks old, but do not recall seeing it here}

The Biggest Reformation Of 2009?

A promoter has revealed that he is in talks to bring us a rock reunion that’s second only to Led Zeppelin in terms of magnitude.

Promoter Rob Hallett told the BBC that he’s in talks with an unnamed huge band to tour in 2009.

"I do have another reformation up my sleeve that I can't talk about yet that is going to please a lot of people of a certain age,” he said. "If you were a teenage boy in the pre-punk '70s you're going to be very excited. Outside of Led Zeppelin, this is probably the biggest reformation you can hope for."

And like many of these rumours, the speculation is already rife over who the mystery band is.

Suggestions so far have included a Ritchie Blackmore Deep Purple, Roxy Music, ELO, a Peter Gabriel/Steve Hackett Genesis and Supertramp

http://www.planetrock.co.uk/021208-1.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    "If you were a teenage boy in the pre-punk '70s you're going to be very excited. Outside of Led Zeppelin, this is probably the biggest reformation you can hope for."
    I would think this rules out Supertramp or Genesis - as good as both bands are, I don't see them appealing to teenage boys! Same probably goes for ELO, although they were probably more accessable for the younger set in the '70s. Deep Purple and Black Sabbath are both good options. Another try by Gene and Paul with Ace & Peter? Van Halen wasn't really prepunk. Journey? Styx? They don't seem "second only to Led Zeppelin"-esque. Maybe it's Abba!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Air Supply.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What about Grand Funk Railroad? Believe it or not, those guys were positively huge in the early/mid seventies.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Could it be Floyd with Roger Waters?
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wham bam will rock View Post
    Could it be Floyd with Roger Waters?
    Sort of a tad too late for Rick Wright, wouldn't you say?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Oh shit, Chef. I had no idea Wright had died.

I might would suggest 'Yes' with Bruford, Howe and Wakeman, but I don't see that band as being 'second' to Zeppelin.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

I hope it's the Kinks, but even though Dave has recovered from his stroke, pretty sure he still can't stand Ray. Nor do I think they would be second only to Zep. Who the fuck is second only to Zep anyway that isn't already still playing or already reformed? The 'Who' (such as it is) is already touring. The Stones are still a band.

Whoever it is, the promoter is exaggerating just a tad.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hope it's the Kinks, but even though Dave has recovered from his stroke, pretty sure he still can't stand Ray. Nor do I think they would be second only to Zep. Who the fuck is second only to Zep anyway that isn't already still playing or already reformed? The 'Who' (such as it is) is already touring. The Stones are still a band.
    I think the point is it would be the second biggest reunion after Led Zeppelin that could possibly happen right now. The Rolling Stones can't have a reunion since they still exist already (ok, if we're being fussy Wyman can come back, but that's not gonna turn many heads really is it?). It's talking only about bands that aren't still going.

I would say the only band of that period that they could possibly be talking about is Pink Floyd that actually is that big. The Kinks are the only thing I can think of which would compete.

It can't be Yes since Yes, though a big deal, tour enough that a Yes tour in 2009 wouldn't be a big deal.

It can't be Black Sabbath, because they've done their reunion thing. Sure, a 2009 tour would be the first since the 2005 tour, four years, but that's damn unlikely with the H&H album and tour due. Black Sabbath never did do an anniversary show in 2008 which was hinted at, so I'd not put it past them doing a one off "this really is farewell this time!" concert (bearing in mind Ozzy retired in 1992 then came back in 1994, Sabbath split up in 1999 then did reunion tours in 2001/04/05, Ozzy said he'd not do Ozzfest again in 05 then played in 06, 08 and appeared at the 08 concert). I don't think Sabbath, from what they said when H&H got going, would do more than a one-off concert with Ozzy ever again, so that one is possible.

My money's on The Kinks:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/...to_reform.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7710458.stm

Only rumoured reunion I can think of at present.

Last Online

Donor

Man, I hope you are right. I last saw the Kinks in the late eighties. They are truly the underdog heroes of the Brit invasion, the bedrock in a lot of ways. Most English classic hard rock aficionados acknowledge Ray as in the top three premiere songwriters England ever birthed.

You VH fans would be doing yourselves a favor if they actually come out and tour again...seeing one of Van Halen's three primary influences live is no small thing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

*Fingers crossed for Genesis / Gabriel & Hackett Tour!*

Do I expect it? Nah. Do I hope it happens? HELL YEAH.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Man, I hope you are right. I last saw the Kinks in the late eighties. They are truly the underdog heroes of the Brit invasion, the bedrock in a lot of ways. Most English classic hard rock aficionados acknowledge Ray as in the top three premiere songwriters England ever birthed.

You VH fans would be doing yourselves a favor if they actually come out and tour again...seeing one of Van Halen's three primary influences live is no small thing.
    Pete Quaife said in an interview this month that he's definitely not doing a reunion....he was with them 64-69. But hey, they can do it with John Dalton right?

Quaife sounded so adamant that it did sound like it's an issue he's been asked about internally already.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Outside of of Zep/Halen, there is no band of that era who I could give two
    shits about. Journey? Foghat? Foreigner? Deep Goddamned Purple?
    Please.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm willing to bet it's the Faces.
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by The Elfoid_TFS View Post
    Pete Quaife said in an interview this month that he's definitely not doing a reunion....he was with them 64-69. But hey, they can do it with John Dalton right?

Quaife sounded so adamant that it did sound like it's an issue he's been asked about internally already.
    To be honest, I'm more a 'latter day' Kinks fan anyway....State of Confusion, Give the People What They Want, Low Budget, Misfits, Word of Mouth...grew up on those LPs smokin clove Djarums and downin apricot brandy. Their rhythm section has varied pretty widely, to my recollection. If Ray and Dave are there, I'm there (and no, it's not the same as the Ed-Dave = Van Halen equation, for the impending wankers).

Pretty sure I lost my virginity to Low Budget, LOL, if I recall right.

Honestly, though, one of the Kinks' best albums - and one of the best live albums EVER by a Brit Invasion key player - is The Road. Not the more widely known One For the Road , but just The Road. Excellent album, nice live production mix, hard to find, out of print. Great stuff.