Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 5150 Combo internal fuse

Hi guys,

Do any of you blow many of these fuses? I just lost the second one in 18 months, and from what I remember they are a pain in the ass to take out - you have to remove the entire internal assembly. I'm guessing heat may be the issue, but not really sure.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Hi guys,

Do any of you blow many of these fuses? I just lost the second one in 18 months, and from what I remember they are a pain in the ass to take out - you have to remove the entire internal assembly. I'm guessing heat may be the issue, but not really sure.
    Mine blew when the power tubes died. New fuse, new power tubes, and everything is good!

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mars View Post
    Hi guys,

A fuse is a circuit protection device. If a fuse blows, that means that you may have an internal component in your amplifier that has failed, causing improper voltages to be applied to other electronic components of the amplifier. The fuse is designed to fail before another internal component of the amplifier. If you have a problem blowing fuses, it's time to take the amp to an authorized repair shop and have it looked at.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    A fuse is a circuit protection device. If a fuse blows, that means that you may have an internal component in your amplifier that has failed, causing improper voltages to be applied to other electronic components of the amplifier. The fuse is designed to fail before another internal component of the amplifier. If you have a problem blowing fuses, it's time to take the amp to an authorized repair shop and have it looked at.
    Yes, he's exactly right. Although 18 months apart could just be a bad fuse fluke kind of deal. You may wanna try changing it out again, and keeping an eye on it. Then if it blows again, there is something definitely wrong.

To change a fuse, just pull out the tubes, and take out the amp chassis. The circuit board with the internal fuses is the power board which is easy to get to.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks to all - will change the fuse and see how it goes. Also need to fix a loose 12AX7 socket which is currently jammed tight with a toothpick!