Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default CT Wal-Mart asks Do-Gooder to leave premises...

Lisbon, Conn. — An unidentified man, dubbed “The Anonymous Santa,” bought $1,500 worth of Wal-Mart gift cards and gave them away to people Saturday at the Lisbon Landing Wal-Mart.

With hands full of $10 cards, the man worked both entrances of the store for about half an hour until all the cards were distributed, said Elizabeth Markovitz, a Salvation Army worker manning a kettle outside one of the entrances.

Wal-Mart spokesman John Simley confirmed the incident.

“It was quite a nice gesture,” he said.

Store personnel “hassled” the Anonymous Santa, forcing him out of the lobby, Markovitz said.

The Santa’s generosity created a safety hazard, Simley said.

“It created congestion in front of the store, so we had to ask him to go outside,” he said.

Some shoppers mistook the acts of kindness for a store promotion. But the spirit registered with some.

“One lady brought him out a doughnut and coffee, but he’d gone by the time she got back,” said Markovitz, bundled up against the cold. “She gave them to me. I was glad to have them.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Found this elsewhere;

Yesterday morning I woke up and decided I would do something nice for others, at this point I didn’t know what or to whom, but knew that somewhere out there people needed some holiday cheer.

I put some thought into it and ultimately settled on giving away money, after all who does not like money? With $1300 cash in my pocket I was headed out the door and going to Americas largest retailer Walmart. While driving to the store my head was filled with possible ways to offer the money, ultimately purchasing one hundred and thirty, ten dollar Walmart gift cards was my decision.

I walked to the customer service department and when it was my turn, requested to purchase one hundred and thirty ten dollar Walmart gift cards. The customer service rep called another for assistance. The next twenty eight minutes was spent standing and waiting for each card to be scanned and activated. The nice associate told me next time my company wanted to purchase so many, I should call in advance and that way I would not have to wait. Little did she know that it was not a company, or big business buying these cards, it was a regular guy, someone who is unemployed for the first time in their life, someone who just wanted to spread some holiday cheer in today’s tough economic times.

Once the transaction was completed I thanked the associate and handed her a gift card, she smiled and said we are not permitted to accept gifts. I picked up the card and headed for the front of the store and began passing out the gift cards. I was standing just inside the entrance as it was 17 degrees outside, and also by being positioned where I was standing all of the anxious shoppers would converge on me from the two other side entrance doors.

With a card in hand as families, couples and individuals walked, I handed them a gift card and offered them a “happy holidays”. Many just took it, not realizing what was being offered, some asked “what is this” and I responded, it’s a gift card, go buy something. Some stood in disbelief of what just happened and asked why? To that I said why not ?

I had passed out around 82 cards over the next twenty five minutes, and at that point the store greeter approaches me and says, “whats going on people are asking me about the gift cards”. I told her I was giving them out to everyone who walked into the store. She left and I once again began handing out the cards.

A few minutes had passed when another associate approaches me and says “can I help you?” I responded, no I am doing fine, and offered them a gift card and a happy holidays, he said “I don’t want this” he than walked away. I had only passed out a few more cards when another associate approaches and says, I need to come with them. I comply and as walking he tells me “my cards are worthless, they have no value” I told him that was impossible, he than questions me, where did I get them?, did I buy them?

Several customers who I had given gift cards to had gathered around when I was being questioned, I explained I bought them, I have receipts, the associate requested to see them, and I complied. I was not rude, bitter, in fact I was rather passive as my intentions were honorable and I didn’t want to upset anyone. The associate had another manager come and I was asked to hand over several gift cards, I pulled out a rather large four inch bundle held together by a rubber band in my right pocket. They attempted to scan the first card and it initially appeared not to have any value, but with in a moment the manager informed the other associate that they had entered in some wrong code prior to the scan, once entered correctly and scanned my gift cards showed they had a ten dollar value.

At this point the manager and associate told me, “ you have to leave the store”, “you cant stay here”

I could not believe my ears, are they out of their minds I thought, what is wrong with these people? I just spent $1300.00 in their store, with the sole intention of giving away all the cards to customers who had just entered the store.

I was handed my cards, put them in my pocket and at this point one of the customers who was listening to the conversation extend his hand and shakes mine. He tells me he had always wished he could do the exact same thing, but never had the money to make it happen. Several other customers shook their head in disbelief that Walmart was telling me I had to leave their store.

I left their store, I walked outside and stood in the freezing cold and commenced handing out the cards, only a minute had passed when they came out and said I had to leave the premises.

As I began to leave, I saw to police cars parked in front of Wal-Mart at another entrance, I figured that those officers would appreciate the cards. I entered the store and observed the two officers standing along side a store manager and a person in handcuffs. As I approached the officers, I said, “I know you working, please accept these gift cards, go buy something” As I turned and walked away both had a huge smile on their faces.

I left the parking lot at 5:40 pm, I still have over forty gift cards in my pocket. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine that a store such as Wal-Mart would throw me out….So much for holiday cheer, Wal-Mart could give a rats ass once they get your money.

Posted :: Today 9:23:58 AM
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Fuck Wal-MArt
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

What a bunch of idiots. It just goes to show the intelligence level at Wal-Mart. I can understand them wanting to make sure the cards are legit, but treating the guy like he is a criminal before hand is just pointless. The guy seems to have a good outlook on this situation and on life in general, it's just too bad some people can't see past their own power trips and let the generosity of others be shared.
    With that said FUCK WALFART AND THAT STUPID ASS STORE MANAGER.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Walmart blows. Always has, always will.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what do you expect...they have every reason to want and need to validate what's going on...think of the fiasco if some jackass were passing out a bunch of counterfeit cards...but like almost everything else when it comes to middle management at a retail store, they screw it all up.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I understand Wal-Marts reasoning for making sure that his gift cards were valid.

The manager handled the situation poorly though. In my experience, many of the people that get into those positions are people that are gung ho and company first, but have poor people skills.

I don't necessarily think this is a direct reflection upon Wal-Mart as a whole. It's one isolated incident that the manager and employees weren't sure how to handle.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    The manager handled the situation poorly though. In my experience, many of the people that get into those positions are people that are gung ho and company first, but have poor people skills.

Yep. That has been my experience as well. I worked in retail for a little while. Thankfully I'm out of it now. No matter the company I was with, the guys who "climbed the ladder" were always mindless drones who really had no common sense of their own and no real ability to interact with people on any meaningful level. They sort of reminded of robots where if something happened that didn't fit into any of their little categories they'd been trained on they'd just start shaking back and forth uttering "does not compute...can not reconcile"

The movies they make, stuff like Employee of the Month, really are spot on in their depictions of the various "characters" I've run into, both as an employee and as a customer.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

"little did she know it was not a company or big business buying these cards" Seems to me that all the time he spent there in customer service having all those cards activated, he could have clued them in to what he was doing.

Not that I love (or even like, or for that matter shop at Wal Mart) but the guy could have told them what was happening especially since the crazy Walmart stampedes of the last few years.

Given the fact that the money was going to be spent there they probably wouldn't have had a problem with it

I'd tell the guy to buy mastercard or visa gift cards or even al chamber of commerce gift certificates if he ever wants to do this again

Better yet, give the money to a food bank, toys for tots or other reputable charity

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Yep. That has been my experience as well. I worked in retail for a little while. Thankfully I'm out of it now. No matter the company I was with, the guys who "climbed the ladder" were always mindless drones who really had no common sense of their own and no real ability to interact with people on any meaningful level. They sort of reminded of robots where if something happened that didn't fit into any of their little categories they'd been trained on they'd just start shaking back and forth uttering "does not compute...can not reconcile"

The movies they make, stuff like Employee of the Month, really are spot on in their depictions of the various "characters" I've run into, both as an employee and as a customer.
    When I first started working at Amazon, I had a lead that was very good at what she did. She was efficient, well organized and ran the floor well. What she wasn't good at was dealing with the employees on a personal level.

Amazon tends to rotate the leads after a two year stint, and they moved her to another dept. The employees over there got so fed up with her, and so many of them threatened to quit, that Amazon ended up moving her back to her old dept.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    "little did she know it was not a company or big business buying these cards" Seems to me that all the time he spent there in customer service having all those cards activated, he could have clued them in to what he was doing.

Not that I love (or even like, or for that matter shop at Wal Mart) but the guy could have told them what was happening especially since the crazy Walmart stampedes of the last few years.

Given the fact that the money was going to be spent there they probably wouldn't have had a problem with it

I'd tell the guy to buy mastercard or visa gift cards or even al chamber of commerce gift certificates if he ever wants to do this again

Better yet, give the money to a food bank, toys for tots or other reputable charity
    yeah seems like he could have clued them into what was going on.

As for giving it to charities...I'm not a big fan of it because they tend to have such high administrative costs that only a fraction of what one donates actually gets to "those in need."

I have some friends who, every year, get together and each chip in some cash. They then go buy a ton of groceries, presents, gift cards, the works. They get with their local school district and they give them the name and address of a family who is struggling. This year I went with them to hand everything out. Typical story, single mom, bunch of kids, one bedroom apartment, grandma lives with them...one income. She got a month's groceries, gift cards to the grocery store, the kids all got presents. I say cut out the middle man and to hell with the charities. They spend too much money advertising, printing fliers, paying salaries, paying for transportation etc etc etc. If you have it your soul to give, give directly.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

No good deed goes unpunished...
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    As for giving it to charities...I'm not a big fan of it because they tend to have such high administrative costs that only a fraction of what one donates actually gets to "those in need."

www.charitynavigator.org tells you who the duds are

I also like giving baskets of food to St Vincent De Paul or toys to the toy drive and coats/mittens to the coat drive or school supplies to the school..it's a direct donation then

But the truth of the matter is that many charity organizations can buy more with your money than you can because they get volume discounts and pay no state sales tax....(there's a 6-7% return on your money right there!)

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Now that was a poorly handled situation. But I must commend that person's generosity in wanting to give.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One