Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Default So once and for all (Wolf pickups)

Are the EXP Special pickups the same as the USA Wolfie? I ask this because I own a USA Special and a Korean Special. On a dirty channel, the Korean sounds a little muddier and doesn't clean up much when the volume is rolled down. The USA, on the other hand, sounds clean when turned halfway down. I'm assuming they are different pickups, but I've heard they're the same. The difference in sound could come the different grades of wood and the different neck and veneer top and cast Floyd on the cheaper Korean. Or would that even make damn difference? For the record, I still think the EXP is a damn well built axe and is very comfortable to play.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The EXP pickups were made in Korea to the exact same specs as the USA versions. I've owned several sets of Wolfgang pickups--some USA and some Korean--and I can't visually tell the difference at all. There are no markings to indicate where each was made, and they are literally made from the exact same parts. I was only going by what I was told when I bought each set--because that's all I had to go on. All that being said, there are some who claim to hear a difference in the EXP pickups from the USA pickups; if the variance in quality control with the EXP pickups was hit-or-miss as it seemed to be with the guitars, then I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional one was funky. I do have what I believe to be a set of EXP pickups in one of my custom assembled Wolfgangs, and I have noticed those pickups seem to lack the same kind of loudness and warmth as most of my other Wolfs. I coil tapped them, though, so that may very well have had an affect even when they're in humbucker mode.

Also, bjk, consider the pot when evaluating why your EXP doesn't clean up as much when turning down. There's a good chance it's cheaper than the one in your USA Wolf.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Cool. Thanks AT. I know the pot is different in the US because it's very low tension and turns really easy, where the EXP pot is just a "normal" pot. Any suggestions on pots? I've used AllParts 500k's on a couple Strat projects. They seem to be pretty good with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz humbuckers. I'd like to have a low tension one though.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I'm just going from what I've heard from some different sources, but this is my understanding.

Before the EXP models, all pickups were made in USA. When the EXP line started, they made the pickups in Korea to the same specs as the USA pickups. And here is where the story gets muddy, shortly after the EXP line started, all Wolfgang pickups were Korean, even in the USA models(except for maybe the Custom Shop) Now, I can't confirm the last part of the story, but I'd heard it from a couple different people, and it's totally believable IMO. So, late in the Wolfgang production with Peavey, for a salesman or a rep to state that the pickups in the EXP are exactly the same pickups that are in the USA models would be a true statement.

If the pickups were indeed made to the same specs, with the same quality control, there are a couple easy explanations for why your guitars may be sounding different. First and most importantly is the pot. The pot, can make a big difference in the sound of your guitar. Another is the wood. The EXPs always felt to me like they had a thin poly coating on the neck. This could impact the tone. Lastly, and also very improtant is the hardware. EXPs use the cheaper version of the FR.

The only way to really check is to put a known USA pickup, and then put a known Korean pickup in the same guitar and compare them.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.