Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Refretting

This may sound weird but when should you get a guitar refretted? Are there sympoms that would lead someone to think they would?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You re-fret if:

*You want different frets than the ones currently on your axe
    *You can no longer level and dress the frets to your functional liking
    *The current frets are corroded or damaged

In all honesty I have never re-fretted a guitar. I've had many guitars have fret levels, but I've never played one guitar for so long the frets were beyond reconditioning (the lone exception being my very first electric guitar--an Ibanez Roadstar II--which sits dormant now anyhow).

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

ive only ever had 1 guitar re-fretted, and that was due to really soft piss poor original frets (thanks for that gibson) basically after 12 months of regular use (yes only a year) the original frets had grooves worn in them, which caused all sorts of problems (lots of buzzing and the sustain suffered due to the strings catching in the grooves when i bent a note) i took it to a guy that does a lot of tech work for me, when its not something i can tackle myself, i had all 24 frets replaced with stainless, which should never need replacing again, the whole job did cost a bit though £400 but well worth it.

why, do you think yours may need doing?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

i think you're supposed to do it when the tops of the frets get flattened out. also if there are indentations where the strings press on it.

i have one guitar that needs it.

however, i've never had it done. i think it's pretty damn expensive, like about as expensive as just buying a new neck.
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    why, do you think yours may need doing?
    My first guitar, a Kramer focus, buzzes alot on the low E. I played the living shit out of it since I was 13 or so and I picked it up the other day and the notes just seem "flat", no sustain or vibrance. The floyd has been setup professionally every year or so. I love the guitar, I'll die with it but my Pacer plays a ton better now so I use it. Just trying to eliminate suspect before I break the bank trying to get Bessie(her name) back to her glory days.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:01 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

I have only had one guitar ever refretted, and actually it was my pink EBMM, I played the shit out of that guitar in the 90's. Other than that, never, but I've had a lot of frets on guitars dressed and leveled.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    My first guitar, a Kramer focus, buzzes alot on the low E. I played the living shit out of it since I was 13 or so and I picked it up the other day and the notes just seem "flat", no sustain or vibrance. The floyd has been setup professionally every year or so. I love the guitar, I'll die with it but my Pacer plays a ton better now so I use it. Just trying to eliminate suspect before I break the bank trying to get Bessie(her name) back to her glory days.
    it could simply be one or two frets, if thats the case a full re-fret would be overkill, maybe a good leveling and dressing could cure the problem (also a whole lot cheaper) its also worth having the guitar checked over because it could also be any number of other factors (maybe a trussrod adjustment, action too low)
    the only reason i had my whole fretboard done was i knew that the soft frets would cause more problems down the road, so i eliminated the issue once and for all.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Your tech that set's up the Floyd yearly, should be able to offer some suggestions. Sometimes as stated above, a partial refret will often cure the buzzing and other issues associated with playing in the first position. After any refret/partial refret, a fret leveling should be done to ensure all the frets are level.

If you have questions I'll be glad to offer any suggestions/advice. Just email.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair