Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ibanez Jemini Distortion Pedal

I've never wanted a distortion pedal before, mainly because I always thought it best to just get your distortion directly from the amp. However, after watching this video, I'm ordering one of these babies after Christmas. Watch the video, enjoy, laugh, and be amazed by Mr. Vai. (HD video also available.)

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

That was posted a couple months ago on the Duncan forums, and I have to hand it to Ibanez & Vai....that's the quirkiest, most creative advertisement or "introduction" for a piece of gear I've ever seen. Love it (the clip).

The pedal's design looks awesome, from the battery compartment, to the bright LEDs, to the construction, and even the hideous paintjob, which I actually like.

Unfortunately, I have no use for the pedal. But I like what I saw there!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah. But this gave me an excuse to watch the clip again. Very well done;
    the humour, the editing, the idea, everything. And Vai always gets a lot of shit
    for his tone (and frankly, the second side of the demo has way too much
    transient shit on it for my taste), but the first bit came from such a warm
    place - humanly, tonally, spiritually - that it actually brought a tear
    to my eye. Maybe that's corny. I don't care.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

I'm just not into pedal distortion/overdrive these days. For some reason, such tones were great when I was younger, but every time I hear a dirt pedal demonstrated now I don't like what I hear.
    Last edited by danielleesale; 12.19.08 at 02:48 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:56 PM
    Liked 18,084 Times in 8,934 Posts

Vai seems to be a cool guy, and that maybe one of the best gear infomercials I have seen.

But like Mistere, I don't like his tone, and he is a "wanker" as he says, but you can't deny the man can play, just not my cup of tea.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Vai seems to be a cool guy, and that maybe one of the best gear infomercials I have seen.

But like Mistere, I don't like his tone, and he is a "wanker" as he says, but you can't deny the man can play, just not my cup of tea.
    That was exactly my thoughts on it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can some one answer for me, what will a distortion pedal do for me if I have a amp that i allready enjoy the distortion from...ie (5150 combo)

I would love to have a lead sound like vai, but i think you need a rack set up to acheive the nonsense he gets!
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    can some one answer for me, what will a distortion pedal do for me if I have a amp that i allready enjoy the distortion from...ie (5150 combo)

I would love to have a lead sound like vai, but i think you need a rack set up to acheive the nonsense he gets!
    I really would not suggest getting a distortion pedal for a 5150 (combo, head, whatever). I own 2 5150 combos, and there is so much gain and preamp compression that a distortion pedal just never quite sounds right in my opinion. I think I have heard some other guys talking on the forum who have had success with an overdrive/distortion into 5150 setup. It would probably just involve backing the gain WAY down. I don't know what setup you have, but if you want to get close to Vai, I have found that using a Wet/Dry/Wet rig with a 5150 will get you there with enough detune mixed over the original signal. While Ed used detune to crisp up his tone and add some 'sparkle', Vai uses the same concept a lot more to get more of a chorus effect.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

You need his obnoxious pickup through an obnoxious guitar, for starters. An original Evolution (which sounds much warmer in my hardtail Charvel) sounds absolutely like Vai in a floating-trem guitar through an EL34 rig with a low-medium wattage cabinet.

No doubt, he uses the Breed, and also his neck pickup at times (including in the clip), but at it's heart, his tone is that of a VERY aggressive, tight pickup in a guitar with a thin-sounding floating tremolo, through a compressor and a turbo-Marshallesque sounding amp.

Very, very narrow signal bandwidth. His lead tone is derived from an EQ focusing on maximum "click", with minimal effort.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I really would not suggest getting a distortion pedal for a 5150 (combo, head, whatever). I own 2 5150 combos, and there is so much gain and preamp compression that a distortion pedal just never quite sounds right in my opinion. I think I have heard some other guys talking on the forum who have had success with an overdrive/distortion into 5150 setup. It would probably just involve backing the gain WAY down. I don't know what setup you have, but if you want to get close to Vai, I have found that using a Wet/Dry/Wet rig with a 5150 will get you there with enough detune mixed over the original signal. While Ed used detune to crisp up his tone and add some 'sparkle', Vai uses the same concept a lot more to get more of a chorus effect.
    Lately, I'm using the 5150 combo, with a mxr phaser, bad horsie wah (had since it originally came out) and a line 6 DL4 pedal (not really happy with)

I'm just looking for some type of melodic lead sound to change things up a little
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lately, I'm using the 5150 combo, with a mxr phaser, bad horsie wah (had since it originally came out) and a line 6 DL4 pedal (not really happy with)

I'm just looking for some type of melodic lead sound to change things up a little
    Lemme get back to ya on that -- I may have some ideas for you to try...

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Why not use the MXR 6 or 10 band EQ to shape a different lead tone? Throwing a distortion pedal into the mix on a high gain amp doesn't sound like a good idea. Who the heck could even use that hairy of a sound the left side Vai is using on his "clean channel" (Hmmm, sounds a lot different than my clean channel). He does say he cranks it all the way though. He can get away with it because his playing is so precise, but for anyone that might a mistake or two that super high gain fizzy/fuzzy sound isn't going to work. Or perhaps it would end up burying your mistakes in all the fizz?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 07:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are three ways that one can achieve a distortion tone:

(1) amp distortion ala 5150
    (2) dirt pedal into a clean amp-- for example, my Toadworks Death Rattle into the front end of my Twin Reverb
    (3) use an overdrive-- like a tubescreamer, OCD, DOD 250-- to push an overdriven tube amp over the edge into total distortion.

To those of you using the 5150 or 5150 II, how are you getting your clean tone? You could use the rhythm channel on the amp with the gain rolled waaaaaaay back and then use a pedal such as the Jemini for some dirt. And then use the Jemini with the lead channel for an extra push.

I'm very old school regarding amps. I despise channel-switching amps. Give me a good base tone, like an old Fender and Marshall. There are a gazillion great-sounding overdrives, distortions and fuzzes out there that will give me exactly the tone I'm looking for. There's nothing really new about the Jemini-- it's basically a couple tubescreamers in one enclosure-- but I can definitely see where it could be useful for a lot of players.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:12 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

[QUOTE=DoHalen5150;1079526]can some one answer for me, what will a distortion pedal do for me if I have a amp that i allready enjoy the distortion from...ie (5150 combo)
    [QUOTE]

I can't speak for the 5150...

...but for my Line 6 Flex III (gasp!), the new Digitech Valve Distortion pedal was EXACTLY what I needed to "warm up" the digital/solid-state sound of the Flex.

The Flex has a couple of real good distortion settings, but they are still digital/ss. Not "organic" enough to my ears.

Thanks to my local tech, the answer was to throw the distortion pedal in the chain as a small "boost" to the normal distortion. I keep the "level" knob turned way down (1.5-2), with moderate gain (4.5-6). The extra high/low tone knobs help dial in the brown-ness...and the crunch/saturated switch on that thing is off the charts.

I still get the Flex's distortion, with a little extra organic color to take the harshness out of it.

...but that's just my .02...

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cam-5150 View Post
    I've never wanted a distortion pedal before, mainly because I always thought it best to just get your distortion directly from the amp. However, after watching this video, I'm ordering one of these babies after Christmas. Watch the video, enjoy, laugh, and be amazed by Mr. Vai. (HD video also available.)

Cam- Did you order one, and if so, have you had a chance to fool around with it yet? Like you, I have used preamp/power amp distortion on my Mesa/Boogie Mark III for ages now (running EL34's in place of the original 6L6's). These amps are super clean, but the cascading gain on the lead channel is fantastic. Still, I want a different sound to play around with so I ordered a Jemini a few days ago (haven't received it yet). I'm going to test the overdrive side on my crunch channel and the distortion side on my clean channel. I haven't played around with any type of distortion pedals since the original Big Muff I had in the early 1980's, so it should be fun. I've also been looking at the Keeley-modded DS-1 pedals and the J.S./Vox Satchurator as alternatives.

JGD- Wow, Twin Reverb... I wouldn't have thought anyone posting here would be using that type of amp. But you're right, it has a super clean base tone to use as a platform for an effects-driven sound. Last time I used one was at my high school when I played guitar in the school's stage band orchestra in the late 1970's. I still remember cranking the thing when the band director wasn't around and playing Smoke on the Water to "amaze" the other band members. You could get a good amount of clipping/distortion if you cranked it to push it over the edge.