Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

Default Just got back from Best Buy and checked out their Guitar Room....

Best Buy in Dallas off of 635 and Midway, stumbled across their new Musical Instrument Department. I have to admit, they have some great guitars up there. I didn't expect to see all the stuff they had (mostly Gibson and Fender stuff), but some good prices. Its set up like Guitar Center with a separate acoustic guitar area, and a drum room too. I will probably go back, I dug their staff and the environment there. This location has lessons and guitar repair too.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

for better or worse, I am kind of glad to hear.
    God knows the industry needs some competition
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wasn't impressed at all by the Best Buy store. I've been following the deal since they first announced they were going to do it but the one in the Woodlands is totally lame. You wanna talk about inexperienced, uneducated salestaff? Let's hit up Best Buy. The guys are all hourly guys that basically work the counter, their product knowledge is dicey at best and they aren't specialized in a given area/discipline. The selection is great, I guess, for a hobbyist or a mom buying something for junior but that's about it. I'm sure they'll do well enough but I don't think it's going to be any sort of "wake up call" or whatever for Guitar Center. Best Buy has a looong way to go before they threaten GC's market share in the least.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

I didn't expect the counter guy to know jack shit about what he was selling, but he had some knowledge (don't know if the others are as knowledgeable as this guy was). We were talking about the differences between the Seymour Duncan Dimebag pickups and the Custom Custom. As well as the guitar setups they offered. They had a bid selection of guitars from all price ranges too.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I didn't expect the counter guy to know jack shit about what he was selling, but he had some knowledge (don't know if the others are as knowledgeable as this guy was). We were talking about the differences between the Seymour Duncan Dimebag pickups and the Custom Custom. As well as the guitar setups they offered. They had a bid selection of guitars from all price ranges too.
    from what I've heard, there is a lot of variance between each of the stores, which is really surprising given that it's Best Buy...is there a better example of big box retail? I haven't been to the one in the Galleria but my good friend went and said they had holes all over the peg wall, that they simply didn't have product. The guy at the counter was explaining that they weren't receiving gear regularly. The one in the woodlands had maybe 12 electric guitars and 20 acoustic guitars, nothing over 1000 bucks. Which I think is a good way to start it off. They target market is not the gear nerd or the collector. It's mom and dad. They openly explain that they want to use the lessons to drive sales to the rest of the store...while junior is learning how to play scales, dad is picking out a plasma and mom is picking out a new fridge.

I applaud their ambition but like I said, Guitar Center doesn't have anything to worry about. The folks that do are the local, independant suburban shops that cannot compete with the name recognition and the geographic name recognition of Best Buy. That was another thing the GM of the music store at the Woodlands was just giddy over. He was openly bragging about how Best Buy specifically designed their business model around taking market share from those small stores. It makes sense, that market share is the easiest to grab from the kind of people they want to sell to.

Who knows how big they grow it, right now, last I checked they had 85 stores in the country with the idea of jumping into the 120 range pretty quickly. They something like 2000 best buy locations. If they put a small music store catering to suburban hobbyists and parents inside just half those stores, mom and pops will have something much bigger to bitch about than evil old Guitar Center.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my opinion big box stores are a joke. Ive seen so many fucked up guitars in guitar center. I was in best buy cheking it out and all the best guitars had greasy fingers all over them. What a shame. at least poslish the damn things.