Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default "New" Wolfgang IMHO

So, I was just looking at the "New" Wolfgang.

In my opinion, and it is just mine, I can't see myself buying one. I have a Peavey Wolfgang already and since the look identical, minus the headstock and obvious logo and buttons, etc., the Peavey didn't make me sound like EVH at all, so why would this one? LOL I'm not sure how different they will sound and nothing like a good pedal and amp tweak to dial in the sound anyway.

Anyways. I just can't see myself getting one. IMHO
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I dunno man, it's tough to say at this point. Nobody's really had an opportunity to touch one yet. The one big difference I can see that would make this guitar different than the Peavey is the D2H tailpiece. Don't know if it's gonna be worth it, but it is something only available on the Fender Wolfgang.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I think it's too soon to tell. Andrew in other threads has brought up the fact that we really don't know enough about the differences.

One side note. We know some of the EBMMs are worth some good cash now. We also know the first year Peavey quilts are worth some cash. Anybody think about a first year Fender as far as collectibility\investment? Part of me wonders if I should get one and put it away. I know that is "wrong" (and besides, I'd play it anyway, I just couldn't buy it and not play it), but I wonder what the collectibility of early production runs will be.

Another (long) side note. And yes, keep in mind I was talking to someone at the hated Guitar Center. I asked them (1) when they were going to have any and (2) if they were going to keep any in stock consistently. The guy looked at me like I was on crack. He said there was nothing in their system that indicated they were getting any, any time soon. He also told me that the earliest ones would sell through the internet (which I thought was complete BS). I don't know if I was talking with someone that really had a clue or not. But it kind of sucks because to me, and probably a lot of guitar fans, whether or not you like Eddie or whether you are serious about buying one, this is one that has been talked about for quite some time now. You think they would be on top of it to the point where at least they would be able to give customers some type of clue (especially when they have magazines in store that say the guitar is coming out next month).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just hope that this thing doesn't have a $2000.00 price tag on it. If Ed was smart, he'd make a $999.00 model with a hard tail.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

Well if I had money, I would buy two. One for playing and the other for investment. Regardless of the price tag, these things are not selling due to the economy. Therefore there probably will be a limited run until EVH gets dropped by Fender.

I think it will be a quality guitar since the amp got great reviews. When you look at Eddie's track record with equipment, he puts out quality gear. I know the 5150's are noisy but they are good rock amps and are reliable.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy one of these so I will just play with my Peavey's.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.21.08 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are some huge differences under the surface(NO BASSWOOD). The quality is way above the Peavey models. At least for the prototypes. I do like the the binding on the Ivory Prototype. Even the headstock has a touch of binding. It really adds class to the Wolfgang. its reminiscent of the top of the line Gibson Les Paul with all the trimmings. As for the sound, it did sound like Ed, because Ed was playing it . So thats no help.
    Regardless I was very impressed with that model. It made my custom shop Wolfie look like a toy. Its a more serious Guitar than its last incarnation, The only thing it shares, is its shape, even thats changed so slightly. I hope the production line is the same as the prototypes, if not better. Only time will tell.
    Last edited by Inzane; 12.17.08 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I was a little critical of Ed's big declarations about having changed "everything" on the guitar from the previous model. It's still the same body shape and headstock shape (minus the one slight variance on the headstock), it's still basswood with a maple top, it's still a birdseye neck, the knobs and switches are still positioned in the same places, it's still two humbuckers, it's still a Floyd. I appreciate that Ed poured over details and arrived to conclusions that he liked MXR knobs and wanted to let the wood of the guitar breathe--that's cool. But, I think, with the previous stated, it's really not that different except to those with very discriminating ears.

I still want to know: What is the nut width? Is it a volume and a tone knob or two volume knobs? (I'm 95% sure it's one volume and one tone.) Who manufactures this new "EVH" Floyd Rose? What is the measurements on the pickups?

Oh, and brace yourself, cam... I'm almost certain the street price on this thing will be right at about $2,000. Man, I hope I'm wrong, but probably not. I don't think you can throw "custom made" and "signature" on that many pieces of a guitar and expect the price to stay low.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If there's going to be a selling point for me personally, it'll be the neck carve.
    Having said that, I will not be buying one "online".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Oh, and brace yourself, cam... I'm almost certain the street price on this thing will be right at about $2,000. Man, I hope I'm wrong, but probably not. I don't think you can throw "custom made" and "signature" on that many pieces of a guitar and expect the price to stay low.
    The street price of the Charvel EVH guitars when they were first released (the production ones, not the replica or Art Series) was around $2,600. If anyone thinks that the new Wolfgang is coming in under that, please pass whatever it is you're on.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I expect a price tag on par with upper end les pauls and PRS singlecuts...over 2500 bucks. I'll be really really suprised if it's less.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

It's definately getting plenty of pub. Hell, they even talked about it in the morning rock/entertainment news on my local station. Regardless of what Ed & his bitchboys say, I can't see it being much different than the PVs. He gave the same "this it the culmination of all my years of playing...blah blah.." speech with the EBMM and PV Wolfie. At least in the EBMM/Peavey Wolfgang (early) days he was still putting out music.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    There are some huge differences under the surface(NO BASSWOOD). The quality is way above the Peavey models. At least for the prototypes. I do like the the binding on the Ivory Prototype. Even the headstock has a touch of binding. It really adds class to the Wolfgang. its reminiscent of the top of the line Gibson Les Paul with all the trimmings. As for the sound, it did sound like Ed, because Ed was playing it . So thats no help.
    Regardless I was very impressed with that model. It made my custom shop Wolfie look like a toy. Its a more serious Guitar than its last incarnation, The only thing it shares, is its shape, even thats changed so slightly. I hope the production line is the same as the prototypes, if not better. Only time will tell.
    I believe they are Basswood with maple as Andrew said. I think I read Chip made one in Ash and Ed didn't like it as it was a real early prototype.

I want to know about the floyd as well. It looks a little beefy. He says the neck is thin too? Like how thin? What is the fretboard radius? How is the body different as Ed says? Thicker? That Guitarworld told us very little specs wise. Peavey did do this early stuff better! I remember the cool ads that had all the specs etc. EVH as always is the true marketing master now isn't he?

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

If they make one in lefty...i'm buying it....no questions asked. But, I suspect they wont...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    I believe they are Basswood with maple as Andrew said. I think I read Chip made one in Ash and Ed didn't like it as it was a real early prototype.

I want to know about the floyd as well. It looks a little beefy. He says the neck is thin too? Like how thin? What is the fretboard radius? How is the body different as Ed says? Thicker? That Guitarworld told us very little specs wise. Peavey did do this early stuff better! I remember the cool ads that had all the specs etc. EVH as always is the true marketing master now isn't he?
    Yup. In Chip's journal he said one of the first (if not the first) prototypes he made with Alder, and Ed noticed it right away.

Still basswood. And at least the sunburst version has a maple top. Are the black and ivory versions solid basswood or hiding a maple top? What are the rest of the specs? I do hope they publish that info somewhere soon.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya, I'm glad it's still basswood / basswood with maple cap. I recently finished a guitar for a client that was solid "high grade" alder and let me tell ya, an alder guitar would be a very dissapointing guitar to try to get any kind of 'EVH tone' out of. Luckily, my client loved the guitar because he was going for the old school 'flat' or 'mellow' kind of sound -- the opposite of basswood/maple -- but I would have been very dissapointed had it been my guitar.

Also, I've routed 4 entire Floyd Rose guitars made out of basswood with a single guided router bit.... the Alder guitar killed 2 of those same bits by itself... nasty stuff to work with...