Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default So let's talk talk boxes...

Anyone use them? I searched the guitar room for threads relating to them but couldn't find anything...I'm thinking about embracing my inner sambora and getting one to fool around with.

I don't know much about them except they require a seperate amp or a PA system...any input?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...oilet-Plunger/

I dunno man. When we used to play "Show Me The Way" in the seventies, I'd simply use a wah pedal. Today, you really don't get that many requests for "Rocky Mountain Way" or "Mind-Bender", ya know?

It just seems like the sort of thing you'd use for a few days, then it would slowly work it's way into the deeper recesses of your closet, collecting dust until it was virtually unusable. There are models available today that do not require the mic and separate amp of the past.
    http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehous...ct-frsptlk.htm

They run from around $100-$175 (and up), yet you can still find them relatively cheap. I would highly recommend that you replace the tube and thoroughly disinfect the thing if purchasing a used one, however.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 12.16.08 at 02:27 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whatever you do, don't get the Danelectro Free Speech Talk Box. Its selling point is that it is the first "in line" talk box, meaning that you don't need an external mic or PA to use it, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it sucks.

I would just get a good old traditional Heil Talk Box. Or, if you have a big pocket book and you want the ultimate talk box experience available, go for the Framptone.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Rocktron Banshee! Get it. I've used it and the free speech. The free speech wasn't too bad for an occasional toy, but the rocktron slays for actual performance.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talk boxes are cool but like mentioned previously, you need a PA system (and a separate amp) to make it sound right. I had the opportunity to play the part of Richie Sambora for about 4 years in the Southeast Bon Jovi tribute band Slippery When Wet and here is what I discovered thru trial and error.

I bought the Heil and the Heil is a nice unit and is fairly affordable, however I found that I got the best results from using a separate amp with the Heil. I always had the sound guy set me up with two mics. One for vocals and one for the talk box since they had to be EQ'd differently.

The amp I ran to my talk box was my silver Marshall JCM Jubilee 50 watt and it yielded the best results for the talk box over any amp I tried through the years. It has a really barky, distorted and mid range quality to it that blasted well through the talk box tube and emitted a lot of the right type of gain so it was easy and effective when making vowel or word shapes with my mouth.
    I tried several amps and that was the best one. The reason I used two amps was because you have to set the sound of the talk box amp so that it works well with the talk box but it would not necessarily be the best sound for live purposes when playing the gig, so the other amp was used for the live guitar sound. I would use an A/B box and turn my live amp off (or sometimes use it in conjunction) when I was playing with the talk box.
    If you are just going to "play around" with the talk box maybe all this isn't necessary for your needs, but you do need the right sound for it to work right..... Also you need a guitar amp that has speaker outs. The Heil will not work with a combo amp that does not have speaker output jacks. The Heil works between a head and a cabinet.
    When I used my second head for the Heil I didn't even run it to a cabinet, it just went straight to the Heil.
    For those who don't know how it works, the Heil is very heavy and it is built out of very durable metal. It's a huge pedal. It has a speaker encased in the box and the speaker plays your guitar tone and sends it up the straw. Really weird, but you get used to it. Having the damn straw in your mouth is awkward to and you drool all over the place. Hard to be cool on stage when all that is going on!!!
    Hope this helps!!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Beware: Embracing your "inner Sambora" often ignites a strong will and desire to write over-the-top cheesy love ballads. Following the correct amount of "inner Sambora" pursuit, however, can render you the ability to date and often sleep with excessively beautiful women celebrities (along with a few odd ones--Cher).

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Beware: Embracing your "inner Sambora" often ignites a strong will and desire to write over-the-top cheesy love ballads. Following the correct amount of "inner Sambora" pursuit, however, can render you the ability to date and often sleep with excessively beautiful women celebrities (along with a few odd ones--Cher).
    hahaha...that's some incredible stuff right there!

I'm leaning towards the heil...seems like the best way to go. I don't expect to use it a ton but I've always wanted to have one and I think I'm going to have a couple extra bucks after my new year show so I think i'm going to splurge.

I have a peavey classic 30...would that work as the secondary amp? Say I'm going to use it on stage...would I use the mic that is running through a PA or would I use a second mic running to the Peavey?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if your peavey doesn't have quarter inch speaker outputs you cant run it to the heil. if it does you are ok. with the heil engaged you get no sound from your speaker cabinet, just sound out of the straw that goes tp your mouth then into your vocal mic which comes out of the PA mains and monitors.
    - John Lennon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    if your peavey doesn't have quarter inch speaker outputs you cant run it to the heil. if it does you are ok. with the heil engaged you get no sound from your speaker cabinet, just sound out of the straw that goes tp your mouth then into your vocal mic which comes out of the PA mains and monitors.
    ok speaker out from the amp into the talk box. My guitar goes through a pedal board into another amp. Does the talk box act like some sort of a/b switch? I'm assuming the guitar gets routed into the talk box at some point right?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

run amp to heil the to speaker cab. you may need long cables depending on the size of the stage. . i always a b my 2 amps but the heil is not run in your pedal board. it has an on off button. it just goes between amp and cab.
    - John Lennon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did it. Mostly due to the wife's encouragement...I've always wanted a talk box but it has never been real high up on my list of priorities but the wife has been egging me on non-stop for days so I broke down and ordered a Heil. It should be here in a couple of days. I gotta learn how to work the sumbitch because now I'm stoked and want to use to it in our new years eve show.

The wife scored me a theremin and now egged me into ordering a talk box so it's all about noise rock now! It's on!!

Anyway, gonna need major input on how to hook this thing up.

I've two guitar amps, my peavey has a speaker out. This is what I need to know:

I have a pedal board that I use, a furhman, that has a collection of pedals on. Do I run the talk box through it?

I know the heil needs an amp to itself but someone, please, tell me, step by step, how I plug this thing and how it actually works.

Looking forward to embracing my inner sambora come new years!

(ooooh oh wo oh ooh wo wo wo) (the intro to living on a prayer)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The good news for you is that the Heil has a diagram on the pedal itself that shows you how to run it to your amp so you always have the schematic handy.

It's really easy.

Run your guitar directly to your pedals or pedal board. Your very last pedal should be an a/b switcher. Run the A and the B outputs to it's own amp. (Assuming you are using 2 amps). Now you can run your choice of either amp A or B or both at the same time.

Your talk box will not be run in line with your other pedals because it simply is run between your amp head and speaker cabinet. It will be either amp A or B ... your choice. Connect a speaker cable from your amp into the input of the Heil. Run a speaker cable from the Heil output to your cabinet. When the Heil is engaged, the speaker cabinet will not emit any sound.

You will need to keep the Heil up by your other pedals because the straw runs out of the pedal and you tape or clip it to your mic stand. You will need 2 fairly long speaker cables depending on how far from your amp you want to stand.

You do not have to run 2 amps in order to get the Heil to work. But, you will find over time that running a specific head to the Heil is best because you can really adjust the EQ and settings of that specific head to give you the best output and EQ required for optimal talk box effect. When you turn the talk box on, all you get is sound thru the straw, so there is no sound coming from your speaker, so I also recommending bi-amping simply because of that.

I hope this is clear. I can't explain it any better.

Have fun! Try not to drool on yourself too much, and work on your gag reflex.
    - John Lennon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    The good news for you is that the Heil has a diagram on the pedal itself that shows you how to run it to your amp so you always have the schematic handy.

It's really easy.

Run your guitar directly to your pedals or pedal board. Your very last pedal should be an a/b switcher. Run the A and the B outputs to it's own amp. (Assuming you are using 2 amps). Now you can run your choice of either amp A or B or both at the same time.

Your talk box will not be run in line with your other pedals because it simply is run between your amp head and speaker cabinet. It will be either amp A or B ... your choice. Connect a speaker cable from your amp into the input of the Heil. Run a speaker cable from the Heil output to your cabinet. When the Heil is engaged, the speaker cabinet will not emit any sound.

You will need to keep the Heil up by your other pedals because the straw runs out of the pedal and you tape or clip it to your mic stand. You will need 2 fairly long speaker cables depending on how far from your amp you want to stand.

You do not have to run 2 amps in order to get the Heil to work. But, you will find over time that running a specific head to the Heil is best because you can really adjust the EQ and settings of that specific head to give you the best output and EQ required for optimal talk box effect. When you turn the talk box on, all you get is sound thru the straw, so there is no sound coming from your speaker, so I also recommending bi-amping simply because of that.

I hope this is clear. I can't explain it any better.

Have fun! Try not to drool on yourself too much, and work on your gag reflex.
    so I need to add an a/b switch to my pedal board?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You only need an A/B box if you plan on using two amps at one time. It's totally fine to use only one amp with a talk box, I just had better luck running the talk box with it's own separate amp. When you set it up, you can experiment and figure out what works best for you.
    - John Lennon

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Now currently I use a Furhman pedal board, the kind with the power conditioner and stereo ins and outs and all that jazz...should/would I use it any different manner, either with a/b switch or without? Do I have to run things any differently as far as that goes? I'm sorry to ask so many questions and I really appreciate your knowledge. I hope one day we run into something I know more about so I can return the favour!