Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default The Madhoff Scam Thread. (With Rant)

So this guy,former Nasdaq chairman Bernard Madoff, ripps off some really important people and banks to the tune of $50 billion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...d-1128194.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2b38a296-c...077b07658.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...51763320081216

Wow.

Okay, my rant:

What the fuck? Seriously, how do you hand over millions of dollars to somebody without doing your homework? I mean, for fucks sake, you have all that money you don't have an investigative service and accountants on retainer? I'm not an educated man (yet) but I can add numbers and estimate. How is it that these people, from the finest families in East Coast society couldn't smell a ponzi scheme?

Then it gets better, the gub'ment may bail them out:

http://wcbstv.com/business/madoff.po....2.888036.html

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!?

What about all of those stupid people who get ripped off by Nigerian scammers? What about those elderly people who got pressured into a mortgage that they couldn't afford and then lost their homes? The government says "Too Bad" but some idiot puts A BILLION DOLLARS into a scam he's protected? How the fuck does that work? Rich people get their money back? Rich suckers get a "Do Over". Oh...my..GAWD. I find the case interesting on so many levels, the social elite of the country got buttfucked by the oldest trick in the book. Hollywood doesn't even use that scam any more because it's so old and lame they can't believe people would fall for it today.

Rich people looking for easy money? Come on.

At what point is it enough money? $10 million? $75 million? $150 million? $500 million? 6% to 10% interest in bonds, money market accounts or just the bank wasn't enough? Shit, why not go to Vegas. At least that way when you're broke you can say you got your dick sucked by some first class hookers.

And then what the hell? The former head of NASDACQ just decides to rip people off now? You can't tell me that this is his first time at this kind of thing.

I'm telling you, my fellow Linkers, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They are going to find more of these scams and God only knows how many houses made of card this one guy has left behind in his past that have yet to go off like a long forgotten landmine?

End rant.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Nice Rant AXX. Whats the difference in wealthy people giving millions to Madoff or middle class people giving 10% of their pay checks every week or two to mutual funds in a 401k. Merril Lynch,Bear Stearns ,Goldman Sachs their all crooks too.. with Uncle Sam looking the other way. Only way to stop this is to back up the bus send hundreds to jail and restore trust to the markets. Id give Madoff the death penalty. But none of this will happen and the cycle will repeat itself.
    Last edited by edwardv; 12.16.08 at 05:19 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

just goes to show you how far reputation (deserved or not) can get you i this world. Con men have known it for generations....appearance is everything

Top Of The World Loss of Bowel Control's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Axx, I usually agree with you, however, this isn’t just a guy who scammed rich people. For the past 48 years, he has run funds for charities, Connecticut police and firemen retirements, the largest bank in Spain, banks in Switzerland, government owned banks in London, etc. As well as wealthy individual investors.
    Every one of these institutions had a thorough background check on Madoff. And every one received legal trade certificates every month. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to believe it was a scam.
    Too good to be true? Not really. Contrary to reports, Madoff never guaranteed positive percentage returns. He posted many negative earnings, but the percentages where consistent to what the certificates indicated. His conservative funds did produce more positive percentages than average, but when the market was going wild, they never came close to the high highs.
    All of this along with his credentials and reputation , it was far from obvious this was a scam. This has devastated charities, families and some banks. Could this be the tip of the iceberg? I hope not. 401Ks will be worthless, investing in bonds will generate no profits, and capitalism will tailspin. This was a horrible, horrible situation.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So he just got lucky on his first scam?

Who is that lucky?

Okay, forget his past, the people he took for a ride were already wealthy and they were looking for easy money.

I'm facinated by this guy's psychology, at what point does he wake up one moring and decide that after a long, prestigious career he was now going to ripp off people for all they were worth? He had money, what did he care?

When he was arrested he confessed to the whole thing and asked what had taken them so long to come and get him. It was more like a strange game.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Madoff gets 150 years in the can...

Swindler Bernard Madoff was sentenced to 150 years, a federal judge ruled Monday, calling his claims less than compelling.

U.S. District Judge Denny Chin said Madoff's breach of trust was massive, and that he lied to investors and to the SEC to buy homes, yachts and country club fees.

"Not a single letter was submitted in support of Madoff," Chin said. "Not friends, not family. That is telling."

Prosecutors sought a 150-year sentence for the multi-billion dollar fraud scheme, while the federal probation department recommended 50 years.

Madoff's attorney Ira Sorkin had tried to argue that both proposed sentences were excessive.

"We Lost Our Freedom," Victim Tells MadoffMadoff's horrors revealed as Ponzi schemer is sentenced

By JONATHAN DIENST and MICHAEL CLANCY

Updated 11:23 AM EDT, Mon, Jun 29, 2009
    Related Topics:Corporate Crime | Corporate Fraud | Crime

Getty Images

Say bye bye, Bernie.

It’s the ultimate day of reckoning for the ultimate Ponzi schemer.

Bernard Madoff pulled off what's being called "the biggest financial scandal, probably, in the history of the markets," taking investors -- including some...

Bernard Madoff is set to be sentenced tomorrow. While we won't find out yet how much money will be returned to the people he scammed, we will learn how...

Top New York News Photos
    View Slideshow

From celebrity stunts to political ploys, sporting events, parties, concerts, crimes and corruption, see amazing news photos from across the Empire State....

A sentencing hearing for disgraced financier Bernie Madoff got underway this morning as the scam artist heard firsthand from his everyday victims who described to the court their lives of suffering in the wake of scam: endless anxiety, food stamps, working multiple jobs, dreams and security shattered.

One victim asked the court to consider what kind of man would steal from Holocaust survivor and advocate for peace Elie Wiesel.

"Commit Madoff to prison rest of his life," victim Burt Ross told U.S. District Judge Denny Chin. "May Satan grow a fourth mouth where Madoff can spend the rest of eternity."

Madoff's attorney has asked for a 12-year sentence. Prosecutors want to send the 71-year-old scammer away for 150 years. After Madoff's victims laid out a litany of woe, Madoff's took his turn, delivering a speech that furthered the notion that he committed this epic crime all by himself.

"I cannot offer an excuse for my behavior," Madoff said. "How do you excuse deceiving investors ... and 200 employees? How do you excuse lying to my sons and two brothers. How do you excuse lying to a wife who stood by you for 50 years and still stands by me? There is no excuse for that."

Madoff talked more of his personal pain before acknowleding his victims' suffering.

"I've left a legacy of shame to my family and my grandchildren that is something that I will live with for the rest of my life," said Madoff. "I will apologize to my victims and I will turn to face them.

Madoff then slowly turned around, faced his victims and said "I'm sorry."

Earlier, Madoff looked straight ahead or at his hands as his victims described their suffering. Dominic Ambrosino, a retired corrections officer, recalled the "exact second his wife told him the news."

"How can we pay bills?" he recalled thinking as he addressed the court. "This can't be real. We did nothing wrong. When I was able to leave my job, we bought a motor home. We trusted savings would be there... We lost our freedom."

There were painful commonalities as Madoff's victims spoke of working multiple jobs, nights of endless tears and worry and unbridled anger at the huckster who destroyed their lives.

"His was a violent crime without use of a tangible weapon," said Mr. Fitzmorris in his turn before the court. "The pain he has inflicted will go on for years. I will worry every day for my wife. How will I pay bills? How will I afford medical insurance. My wife says she cried everyday. She cries everyday over the life we lost."

Another victim also described his life as lost.

"Part of that money was," said Michael Schwartz, pausing to control his tears," for my brother who is mentally disabled. He needs care and supervision for rest of his life. Bernard madoff stole from the disabled. Every time he cashed a check, he killed dreams...Bernard Madoff should not be allowed back in society. His jail cell should become his coffin."

Prosecutors asked for a sentence that would ensure that.

"The sheer scale of the fraud calls for severe punishment," the prosecutors wrote in court papers Friday, arguing that federal sentencing guidelines allow for the long stint – a far cry from the dozen years Madoff’s lawyer requested.

"I must make assessment," Chin said in his opening remarks, noting the disparity in sentencing requests. "I must impose a sentence that is reasonable."

Before Madoff addressed the court, his lawyer asked for a sentencing that sheilded from the raw emotion of the day.

" We cannot be unmoved by what we heard," Ira Sorkin said. " This is a tragedy for victims at every level. We represent a deeply flawed individual. We represent a human being - not a statistic, not a number....The magnificence of legal system is we do not seek an eye for an eye. "

The jailed Madoff already has taken a severe financial hit: Last week, a judge issued a preliminary $171 billion forfeiture order stripping Madoff of all his personal property, including real estate, investments, and $80 million in assets his wife Ruth had claimed were hers. The order left her with $2.5 million.

The terms require the Madoffs to sell a $7 million Manhattan apartment where Ruth Madoff still lives. An $11 million estate in Palm Beach, Fla., a $4 million home in Montauk and a $2.2 million boat will be put on the market as well.

Yet, six months after his arrest, prosecutors still don't know exactly how much money he took or what victims might hope to eventually recover.

Madoff may have ripped off many high-profile celebrity investors – Steven Spielberg, Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick, John Malkovich and John Denver – but many of his victims were just regular folk who saw their entire savings destroyed by Madoff's crimes.

A sizable roster of public school teachers, farmers, mechanics and other middle class folk are also among the victims. Many had been enjoying a comfortable retirement until Madoff's arrest in December. Now, nest eggs gone, they are struggling to pay the bills

Madoff gained the trust of Cheryl Weinstein when she met him through Hadassah, the woman's Zionist organization of America, Weinstein told the court.

"How much did I lose," Weinstein asked rhetorically? "When you lose everything, it doesn't matter."

Weinstein noted that she didn't lose any money -- she had it stolen by a monster.
    Last edited by Jesus H Christ; 06.29.09 at 08:38 AM.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Lets hope he goes to Leavenworth not Allenwood or one of those federal country club prisons. Heres your token scapegoat ala Micheal Milken or Kenneth Lay. Just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Bernie Madoff: "F--k My Victims"

Bernie Madoff appears to have none of the remorse expected of a man staring down a 150-year prison sentence.

According to a lengthy new piece by Steve Fishman in New York magazine, Madoff, who apparently pals around with a former mob boss and a spy in a federal prison in Butner, North Carolina told a fellow inmante, "F--- my victims. I carried them for twenty years, and now I'm doing 150 years."

Madoff, whose con artist bona fides seems to have turned some fellow inmates into "groupies," even indicated to other prisoners that some of his victims actually deserved to have their money taken from them. Overall, Madoff comes off as cocksure, unrepentant and a bit miffed at the world. Here's New York magazine:

He was past apologizing. In prison, he crafted his own version of events. From MCC, Madoff explained the trap he was in. "People just kept throwing money at me," Madoff related to a prison consultant who advised him on how to endure prison life. "Some guy wanted to invest, and if I said no, the guy said, 'What, I'm not good enough?' " One day, Shannon Hay, a drug dealer who lived in the same unit in Butner as Madoff, asked about his crimes. "He told me his side. He took money off of people who were rich and greedy and wanted more," says Hay, who was released in December. People, in other words, who deserved it.

The idea that Madoff "carried" his investors or those in his employ, was echoed by earlier comments he reportedly made to another prisoner. Late last year, the Wall Street Journal reported that Madoff told Kenneth C. White, a convicted bank robber, that he "carried" his employees for years and felt that they had turned their back on him."

In December, Madoff reportedly suffered a broken nose and fractured ribs in a prison fight. (It was initially reported that Madoff fell out of bed.)

Convicted of a decades-long Ponzi scheme, Madoff's total take from investors is said to approach $19 billion

http://nymag.com/news/crimelaw/66468/?dbk
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Will someone please shank this guy ala Jeffrey Dahmer.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

yeah right...he only stole money from rich greedy people.....he's a fucking Robin Hood, this guy.....oh except for the part that he kept it all for himself

So how do you explain the 90 year old guy in Florida who lost everything and had to go back to work as a store greeter? Or all the middle class people in Florida who find they are approaching their "golden years" without a penny of the money they scrimped and saved their entire lives for?

Whatever gets you thru the night Madoff, but it was just that kind of self serving thinking that got you where you are right now

enjoy the rest of your natural life in the pen, bub.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Even worse, all the charities that had their money invested wtih him. They weren't the rich, they were the ones trying to help others. This guy is unbelievable.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    So this guy,former Nasdaq chairman Bernard Madoff, ripps off some really important people and banks to the tune of $50 billion:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...d-1128194.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2b38a296-c...077b07658.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...51763320081216

Wow.

Okay, my rant:

What the fuck? Seriously, how do you hand over millions of dollars to somebody without doing your homework? I mean, for fucks sake, you have all that money you don't have an investigative service and accountants on retainer? I'm not an educated man (yet) but I can add numbers and estimate. How is it that these people, from the finest families in East Coast society couldn't smell a ponzi scheme?

Then it gets better, the gub'ment may bail them out:

http://wcbstv.com/business/madoff.po....2.888036.html

Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!?

What about all of those stupid people who get ripped off by Nigerian scammers? What about those elderly people who got pressured into a mortgage that they couldn't afford and then lost their homes? The government says "Too Bad" but some idiot puts A BILLION DOLLARS into a scam he's protected? How the fuck does that work? Rich people get their money back? Rich suckers get a "Do Over". Oh...my..GAWD. I find the case interesting on so many levels, the social elite of the country got buttfucked by the oldest trick in the book. Hollywood doesn't even use that scam any more because it's so old and lame they can't believe people would fall for it today.

Rich people looking for easy money? Come on.

At what point is it enough money? $10 million? $75 million? $150 million? $500 million? 6% to 10% interest in bonds, money market accounts or just the bank wasn't enough? Shit, why not go to Vegas. At least that way when you're broke you can say you got your dick sucked by some first class hookers.

And then what the hell? The former head of NASDACQ just decides to rip people off now? You can't tell me that this is his first time at this kind of thing.

I'm telling you, my fellow Linkers, this is just the tip of the iceberg. They are going to find more of these scams and God only knows how many houses made of card this one guy has left behind in his past that have yet to go off like a long forgotten landmine?

End rant.
    I agree with you 100%, Axx. 100 freakin %.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 18,156 Times in 8,972 Posts

The government insures investment accounts agains fraud for all of us, not just rich people.

The Securities Investor Protections Corporation (SIPC) covers up to $500K per investor for failed investment houses (Lehman's) and theft (Madoff, Sanford, etc.).
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Bernie Madoff's son, Mark, commits suicide
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...2Ifq2IBmRtZgLK
    Bernard Madoff’s son Mark was found dead in the living room of his SoHo apartment this morning — hanging from a black dog leash on the two-year anniversary of his father’s stunning downfall, officials said.

Officers were called to 158 Mercer St. at 7:28 a.m. after Mark’s father-in-law reported the grisly find — the 46-year-old Madoff hanging fully clothed from a pipe in the apartment ceiling, police said.

His 2-year-old son Nicholas was sleeping in a nearby bedroom and was unharmed, as was Grouper, their labradoodle.

It was Mark and younger brother Andrew who first heard their dad’s astonishing confession — and dropped a dime to the feds on one of the biggest investment fraud schemes in history.

"No one wants to hear the truth," the despondent 46-year-old scion wrote his lawyer in one of three wrenching emails dispatched around 4 a.m., a law enforcement source told The Post.

"Take care of my family."

In two messages sent to wife Stephanie he said, "I love you" — and then alerted her to "send someone to take care of Nick," the source said.

A freaked out Stephanie — at Disney World in Orlando with her mom and 4-year-old daughter, Audrey, at the time of the suicide — then dispatched her father, high-powered lawyer Martin London, to the apartment in the swank building that’s home to rocker Jon Bon Jovi.

London made the grisly discovery and called 911, said police sources.

No note was found with Madoff’s body; he was clad in khaki pants, blue pullover shirt and white socks, sources said.

The eldest son of Bernie, Mark was "upset" over the two-year anniversary media coverage of his father’s massive fraud and subsequent arrest on Dec. 11, 2008, the source said, noting a front-page story of the scheme and its aftermath in today’s Wall Street Journal.

The source said London had told cops Madoff had gotten a heads-up the article was going to run. The story was posted on-line by midnight.

But London also told cops his son-in-law had already been disturbed about events in the case — though never, he thought, to the point of suicide, the law enforcement source said.

Cops are trying to get a subpoena for Madoff’s computer and check its contents, including his e-mails, other sources said.

"It’s a terrible and unnecessary tragedy," said Mark Madoff lawyer Martin Flumenbaum.

"Mark was an innocent victim of his father’s monstrous crime who succumbed to two years of unrelenting pressure from false accusations and innuendo."

The stunning twist in the Madoff saga came two years to the day after Bernie Madoff was arrested for running a pyramid scheme that bilked some $65 billion from gullible investors all over the world.

The elder Madoff was sentenced to 150 years in prison.

"He was under a lot of pressure with the slew of lawsuits filed this week ... the slew of media coverage dragging his name through the mud," said another source familiar with the matter.

"He had been increasingly upset. It’s been a hard two years for him, especially with the second anniversary of his father’s arrest.

"He was in a tough place."

Yesterday, Madoff dropped off an early Christmas gift to Mercer Parking garage attendant Anthony Diaz, 37 – a festive card with $400 and a handwritten message to five attendants who parked his black 2008 Land Rover.

"He’d do it every year, but this year he did it early," Diaz said. ‘He’d give it to us around the 20th. I thought he gave it to us early because he was going on vacation."

They took the card – decorated with three penguins – down from the wall this morning.

Mark Madoff was "unalterably bitter" over his father’s decades-long deception, a spokesman told the Wall Street Journal recently.

As The Post reported in 2008, neither Mark nor Andrew would even sign their names to help bail him out of jail after his arrest.

The eldest Madoff scion is believed to have cut off all contact with both his dad and mom Ruth — who now is believed to be living with her sister in Florida —since the massive scandal.

Mark and his brother, Andrew, were sued this week by Irving Picard, the court-appointed trustee recovering assets for the Bernard Madoff’s victims.

The two brothers were brokers in their father’s firm, and have said repeatedly they didn’t know of their father’s crimes.

Neither has been charged criminally, nor are charges imminent, a source familiar with the matter told The Post.

Midnight tonight is the deadline for Picard to file any lawsuits to try and claw back funds that can be distributed among Madoff’s victims.

"This is a tragic development and my sympathy goes out to Mark Madoff’s family," Picard said in a statement today.

Yesterday, Picard filed blockbuster civil suits in Manhattan bankruptcy court seeking $19.6 billion in damages.

Picard’s latest suit focused on Austrian banker Sonja Kohn, who is accused of funneling money to feed Madoff’s Ponzi machine in Europe. Kohn had portrayed herself as a victim of Madoff’s thefts.

Madoff’s wife Stephanie, who legally changed her surname to Morgan from Madoff, as well as those of her two kids Audrey and Nicholas — citing "certain death and other threats made against the Madoff family" in her court petition in February.

He is survived by his son with Morgan, and the two children with his former wife, Susan Elkin of Connecticut, who today declined to comment on the tragedy.

Mark had nearly gone off the rails at least once before — in October 2009.

Stressed-out, he went briefly missing after a bitter argument with his wife, who then frantically called police, fearing for his safety, The Post reported at the time.

It was later learned that he’d spent the night in a posh hotel, paying in cash, and that he’d intended to seek help from a doctor, sources said at the time.

Known as the outgoing frontman at his dad’s firm, Mark also was reportedly prone to depressive mood swings and physical ills, including stomach troubles.

Mark and Andrew Madoff were the first people to hear dad Bernie’s confession to the incredible fraud scheme.

According to legal documents, the senior Madoff told Mark and Andrew of the scam on Dec. 10, 2008 – reportedly calling the scheme "one big lie."
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

shocked? not me...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton