Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:11 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Clint Eastwood thinks America is full of babies

Good for Clint. He is 100% right. For some reason a number of Americans expect life to have no challanges, no roadblocks, no pain. People who think like this have a hard time finding true happiness. Stop being scared all the time people, life is too short.

Tough guy Clint Eastwood believes America is getting soft around the middle - and the iconic Oscar winner thinks he knows when the problem began.

"Maybe when people started asking about the meaning of life," Eastwood, 78, growls in the January issue of Esquire.

The actor/director recalls the deeper questions were rarely posed during his Depression-era California childhood - and says that wasn't a bad thing.

"People barely got by," Eastwood recounts. "People were tougher then."

Eastwood, whose on-screen tough guys included Dirty Harry and gun-for-hire William Munny in "Unforgiven," was a fighter at a young age.

"I was a shy kid," he says. "But a lot of my childhood was spent punching the bullies out."

That mentality is gone, he laments.

"Everyone's become used to saying, 'Well, how do we handle it psychologically?'" Eastwood says. "In those days, you punched the bully back and duked it out."

When not overanalyzing things, 21st century America spends too much time worrying about ... everything.

"You can't stop everything from happening," Eastwood says. "But we've gotten to a point where we're certainly trying. If a car doesn't have 400 air bags in it, then it's no good."

The somewhat-grumpy-old man doesn't quite grasp the concept of body piercing. "What kind of masochism is that?" he wonders. "Is it to show you can take it?"

The "Dirty Harry" star has good things to say about life as a senior citizen: He likes kids a lot more, has less self-doubt and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

"What can they do to you after you get in your 70s?" he asks.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,462 Times in 898 Posts

He has some good points.

"I shoot the bastard, that's my policy." - Dirty Harry
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 794 Times in 430 Posts

Premium Member

I like Eastwood, but I'm filing this under "G" for Generalizations so monstrous as to be meaningless.

Reminds me of Dana Carvery's old man character from SNL..."in my day, people caught on fire and LIKED it!!"

TK

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Of course his is just one man's opinion, but I believe what he was saying, in essence, is this: Americans, in a culturally general sense, all too often feel they are entitled to most things and have lost the ability to understand, contemplate, and especially deal with the ideas of hard work and sacrifice.

Come to think of it, those are my words, and that's basically how I feel.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Of course his is just one man's opinion, but I believe what he was saying, in essence, is this: Americans, in a culturally general sense, all too often feel they are entitled to most things and have lost the ability to understand, contemplate, and especially deal with the ideas of hard work and sacrifice.

Come to think of it, those are my words, and that's basically how I feel.
    I agree.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think both Eastwood and Andrew and Pal are pretty spot on.

Eastwood is right on with the obsession with preventing bad things from happening. The thing with the car bags is an excellent example as are all the warning labels and obsession over keeping our precious children safe from anything that could be construed as harmful, obscene, unhealthy, saddening etc.

What's more, people HAVE developed a sense of entitlement. Go hang out at an Aarons Sales and Lease and check out those customers. They may only have an 8 dollar an hour job but damned if they don't feel like they are SUPPOSED to have a brand new dodge charger, a 52" flat panel, a 4 bedroom home, and front load washing machines. Only to have their house foreclosed on and their car and shit repoed. Don't believe the politically correct hype, the VAST majority of people being foreclosed on are deadbeats who knew they couldn't afford a house but got into one because they got approved and had no intention of making good on the loan to begin with.

Poor people here in the United States have cable television and a car. Poor people in a lot of other countries have flattened pepsi cans for a roof. This sense of entitlement, this lack of distinction between "need" and "want" and this obsession with what the world owes me is all at once a symptom of the culture obesity we have reached as well as the #1 factor in what I can only describe as our downfall.

I'm not one of those "the sky is falling" guys, I'm just a realist. Societies are no different than an individual human being. You are born, grow up, go through some rough years during puberty, mature, have a great run for a while and then BAM: hangovers start lasting longer, it starts hurting when you pee, you get fat, start watching crappy TV, you stop being able to pee when you want to and have to wake up to pee when you don't want to and then you die.

There is WAAAAAY too much dead weight in this country right now. I wasn't around in previous generations to make any sort of comparison so I won't, but as I see there are waaaay too many lazy, good for nothing, ambitionless LOSERS bleeding our economy and my patience.

I've said it before and I will continue to say it...I will trade at a 5 to 1 ratio our poor for Latin America's poor any day of the week. Those folks, by and large, WANT to work and work hard and I EXPECT them to not speak English. What excuse to these losers have whose families have been here for hundreds of years have?

I like being around people whose attitude is: "I deserve what I work for" rather than "I deserve what I want."

It seems right now between the all out SISSIES and the deadbeat losers, it's getting harder and harder to see how our country can get better instead of slowly slipping away.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

We became pussies as soon as kids were forced to wear helmets while riding a bike.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    We became pussies as soon as kids were forced to wear helmets while riding a bike.
    No kidding. Screw bike helmets. I survived. So will my son.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's not forget about all the people who think they're more important than they actually are...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with Clint, for the most part.

Clint's wife made sure that his daughters are driving around in a tank that has more airbags than Congress.

I don't agree with some of the stuff in this thread.

What is the standard for tough and at what point does tough become masochistic?

I once removed the nail on my big toe with a pair of toe-nail clippers, an X-acto knife and tweezers. I did it because I was too cheap to spend the $150 to have a doctor do it. Sure it's up there on the he-men scale but it's also up there on the dipshit scale too. It would have made more sense to just remove the part of the nail that was ingrown, you know, like a DOCTOR would have done. Instead I ended up slicing down to my cuticle and then pulling the nail out all the way. I used the X-Acto knife to remove the scar tissue and carve out areas where the flesh had grown in and blocked the free growth of the nail. I'm pretty sure a doctor would have done it faster and with less blood loss.

In short, I think Chuck Norris would have just gone to his doctor.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    It's a tough call. You don't want your kids to be wussies yet if there is something that has been proven to prevent head trauma if they have a nasty fall, do you not encourage them to put the helmet on? And if they don't and something bad happens, would you be able to live with yourself? I hate the helmets and they sweat like little pigs in the summer time when they wear them but when they happen to jump on the bike without them, I say a silent prayer that this is not the time they crash and burn.

I think Clint has a point in a way but the thing he is not taking into consideration is that if you punch the bully now, he might just pull out a gun and shoot you. I also think so much of what we suffer from is not being babies, it's guilt. We are made to feel guilty to the point of existing because we are probably harming the planet just by being born and the waste we immediately begin creating.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoBandit View Post
    So did I. I servived wittout no reel setbakks

In seriousness, the folks never insisted upon me wearing a helmet and I turned out just fine. Sure I've crashed and fallen before, but my head wasn't the first thing to hit the ground. I was more concerned about breaking my arm if I fell off...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

my son will wear a bike helmet, thank you very much. Other "wimpy" decisions I hope he will be making including wearing a seat belt, looking both ways when crossing the street, etc.

Clint makes a good point about people needing to learn to fight through tough times. That doesn't mean that you make dumb decisions that cause tough times to come to you.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    my son will wear a bike helmet, thank you very much. Other "wimpy" decisions I hope he will be making including wearing a seat belt, looking both ways when crossing the street, etc.

Clint makes a good point about people needing to learn to fight through tough times. That doesn't mean that you make dumb decisions that cause tough times to come to you.
    I'm undecided about the bike helmet...guess it depends on what my kid is like. If he gets into serious bike riding then yeah, I'll encourage the helmet. If he's just rolling down the street to go play catch, I don't think I'm going to worry about. I was never much of a bike rider and when I did I went sans-helmet. I never knew anyone that wore a helmet...anyone at all...not even retarded kids...woops, sorry, mentally handicapped...shit wait...mentally challenged...damn it...ok...i got it...alternatively gifted. There. phew...dodged that PC bullet.

You make a damn good point about being tough and being stupid...spot on.