Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Naked 'Nirvana baby' still chasing dollars

Naked 'Nirvana baby' still chasing dollars

(CNN) -- All apologies, but here we are now, 17 years after Nirvana's breakthrough album irreversibly changed music, and the naked baby pictured on its cover is still chasing dollars.

Spencer Elden, the underwater infant pursuing a dollar bill on the cover of 1991's "Nevermind," is doing swimmingly these days, having graduated a year early from a Los Angeles-area high school.

Being the "Nirvana baby" -- as Elden calls himself -- has been profitable.

Now 17, Elden says he was paid $1,000 to re-enact the famous pool pose for photographers. Compare that to the original shoot, which paid $200.

"Stuff happens like random cool situations where I get paid $500 just to go hang out," Elden said. "People just call me up and they're like, 'Hey you're the Nirvana baby, right? Well just come and swim in my pool and we'll give you some money.' " Read more about Elden and the 1991 photo shoot

Not everyone can say their naked baby picture has become part of America's pop-culture psyche. Like Nirvana, Elden hopes to entertain us. He wants to be an artist or graphic designer.

Elden has snagged an internship with street artist Shepard Fairey, creator of the ubiquitous Warhol-esque red, white and blue Barack Obama posters. Fairey heard Elden interviewed on the radio and one thing led to another, said the teen. Random fame has "been a really good foot in the door," he said.

A Hollywood film role might be in the works, but Elden and his father, who is also a designer and artist, aren't revealing any details. "Some director's been calling me and wondering maybe about doing a movie with me as one of the characters in it," said Elden. "It sounds like fun."

It's all very exciting, he said, for a self-described normal teen who spends a lot of time drawing. Really, all he wants is a guest spot on the "Howard Stern Show."

"I think it would be fun just to hang out and chill with him for a while," he said of the XM/Sirius radio host.

All the hoopla swirling around Elden proves that Nirvana's musical contribution stands the test of 17 years as a major milestone in music history.

"Nevermind" has become a pop culture rarity: a specific item widely regarded as a pivotal point in cultural change. The album marks the musical shift from the bouncy, upbeat rhythms and melodies that were popular in the 1980s to the dour and cynical "grunge" music that audiences widely embraced in the 1990s. iReport: Show us your grunge days and reflect on "Nevermind"

With "Nevermind," grunge, as the mainstream press dubbed it, had risen from "underground alternative" to the global mainstream. iReporter: Nirvana taught me how to play music

The triumph blew 1980s-style "poodle-hair metal" music off the map, wrote Rolling Stone magazine, which in 2003 ranked "Nevermind" at No. 17 of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

Even when the album ascended to the top of the charts, it made its own rebellious statement, dethroning the King of Pop by knocking Michael Jackson's album "Dangerous" from Billboard's No. 1 spot.

"Nevermind" essentially sowed the seeds for music that defined the 1990s, said Tom Moon, author of "1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die." "You could argue that whatever American indie alternative rock was, by the time Nirvana came along, it became something different after that."

Front man Kurt Cobain proved himself to be "a great hooksman," said Moon, especially with the album's breakout track "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Cobain's verses "are sort of atmospheric sometimes" and then "bust down the door" with an explosive chorus," Moon said. "They weren't the first to do this, but Nirvana took it in a much more abrupt direction. It's exciting and it still works."

That point was echoed last month when Pitchfork Media, a cultural oracle for indie geeks, listed the song among its top 500 tunes "from punk to the present."

Time magazine chimed in and praised the song's "four-chord power sequence that never, ever changes" which, although unique, mixes the rhythm from Boston's "More Than a Feeling."

"If you'd asked one hundred Sex Pistols/Ramones wannabes how F-B-flat-A-flat resolves, one hundred of them would've told you it goes to C, duh. Kurt [Cobain] knocked the world on its ass by choosing D-flat instead," wrote Time's Claire Suddath.

Nirvana's promise was cut short in 1994 by Cobain's suicide at age 27 in his Seattle, Washington, home.

But the band's success opened the flood gates for flannel-clad, angst-ridden rockers including Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and others.

"It was no accident that Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees and bands like that connected in the wake of what Nirvana did," said Moon. "The musical ideas that Nirvana was about were so powerful they couldn't help but spread."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:31 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

That guy's life's peak, his major achievement was when he was 6 months old. Then it'll be all downhill from there.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From his MySpace:
    Quite a few people in the world have seen my penis," he says from his home in Los Angeles. "So that's kinda cool....
    To be precise, almost 8 million people own a copy of a picture of his "pee pee".

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default How baby on iconic Nirvana album swam underwater

companion piece from www.cnn.com:

By Thom Patterson
    CNN

(CNN) -- On a sunny day at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center in Pasadena, California, in 1991, photographer Kirk Weddle was setting up to shoot what would become an iconic image in rock music.

Weddle's close friend, artist and designer Rick Elden, remembers that day well because he had brought his 4-month-old son to the pool for Weddle to shoot.

Weddle had been tapped to create the cover for what would become Nirvana's breakthrough album "Nevermind."

"We went to the same college together," Elden said of his friendship with Weddle. "We were tight buddies and we'd been through a lot together."

To hear Elden tell it, the shoot was just another job in a long string of photo shoots for musical acts during his association with Weddle.

"Keep in mind we shot the Temptations, and so many bands," he said.

On the day of the Nirvana shoot, Weddle was said to be working on an idea dreamed up by the band's relatively unknown frontman, Kurt Cobain, Elden said.

"Rumor had it that Cobain had the original concept of wanting to show a mother giving birth under water," Elden said. "but the compromise was to have a baby swimming under water. Or so that's what I was told."

A dozen infants including Elden's first-born son Spencer were signed up for the photo shoot in the pool that week. On that particular day only Spencer was scheduled to swim for Weddle.

The boy was in good hands, said Elden, a certified lifeguard. And even at 4 months, Spencer was a good swimmer, he said.

However, "if you don't pull them up, they will drown," he joked. "There's tricks to it: You blow in the kid's face and it creates a gag reflex. Infants have a gag reflex, as we all do. You hold him up really close to your face. You blow into him really hard. They gasp, and into the water they go."

Weddle then shot just 18 frames, according to Elden. "We only had a half a second" before the shoot was over and little Spencer was plucked from the water. "Boom, boom, boom. End of story," he said. "We got paid $200."

Years later, Spencer Elden, now a 17-year-old high school graduate, returned to that same Pasadena pool complex to compete as a swimmer and water polo player on the club team.

He said he's still a pretty good swimmer.

"I haven't been swimming as much lately as I'd like to, but I plan on starting swimming next summer," he said.

good for him!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    From his MySpace:

To be precise, almost 8 million people own a copy of a picture of his "pee pee".
    not me
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    That guy's life's peak, his major achievement was when he was 6 months old. Then it'll be all downhill from there.
    doesn't sound like it to me. sounds like he has a lot of this going for him. He doesn't seem to take it too serious and show up on reality tv etc. as the "nirvana kid" . Kinda a dumb comment to me.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    From his MySpace:

Not me! I never did like that damn band.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I'm with you and KRAMER5150, Vike. I thought they were awful. Millions disagreed.

Soundgarden was the only band from the Nirvana-Pearl Jam-Alice era that did anything for me. But hey, there's room for everyone in rock and roll, I hope.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post

Have to agree with this 100%. From the very first time I heard them, I was like, what the fuck is this crap?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Much as I find most nirvana music a bit of a yawn, they were a very necessary cultural kick up the arse. When things become mainstream, the whole thing needs a shot, but it was definitely a case of right place, right face, right time.

Think of the late sixties when 2 minute pop tunes suddenly melded with blues and had a bastard child that went lunar. Hendrix was a hated as he was loved.

Mid seventies, when overblown pompous prog-rock became punk. The sex pistols were just a bunch of annoying kids but they changed the face of music.

Early eighties, when the ugliness of punk was replaced with the smooth guys from Duran Duran.

Even early gansta rap was a pretty fresh and vibrant shake up. We all know what happened to it and how ludicrous it became, but listen to early ice cube or tupac. I don't like much of it, but it was exciting

There is no doubting that Nirvana, and those bands from seattle, changed popular music for a while.

Would VH have recorded "Humans being" if grunge hadn't opened the door for that kind of sound? Can't answer that definitively of course but ........

It's been a long time since something new reaally took the world by storm. I guess the last real thing was combining rap with metal. Whether i like it or not, I hope something new comes along soon. I think we kind of need it right now.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

A true rocker would have jumped in without his swimsuit. If you're gonna reprise it, reprise it.

TK

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Yeah, but who wants to see his schlong now?
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    It's been a long time since something new reaally took the world by storm. I guess the last real thing was combining rap with metal.
    It happened in the early 2000's when some record companies cashed in on it, but depending on your age, it could have been missed...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    It happened in the early 2000's when some record companies cashed in on it, but depending on your age, it could have been missed...

"5 Emo-tears for My Chemical Romance...."? Good lord.