Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVH Strap

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

Default EVH Strap

Just got my new EVH guitar strap back from the Shoe repair shop.

When I bought it, it was of course way too long. I took it to the local Red Wing shoe store/repair shop to have it shortened. Luckily, the process is very easy. They simply unstitched the velcro on one side of the strap, and moved it up the strap 8 inches. They then unstitched the oval piece of leather with the EVH monogram on it. After that, they cut 8 inches of strap off, and re-attached the oval piece of leather. Can't even tell it was altered.

Total cost of strap shortening:

$5.00
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Note to self: Add shoe repair store gift certificate to Xmas list
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Ed make the damn thing shorter.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed's a little guy too......why so big if it's the one "he uses" ???

Last Online

It wasn't too bad on my SG, but it was just crazy long on my Strats. I agree, I can't see any reason for making these straps that long. At least it was cheap to fix.

I do think that these straps are better quality-wise when compared to the Peavey Wolfgang straps. The Wolfgang straps didn't even feel like real leather, thin or not. On the one I had, the little screw that held it together on the back of the strap pulled through the hole. I had to repair it with a pop rivet and a dime.

Anyway, I really like the strap now that it is usable.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Maybe it's made for Wolfgang and his bass?
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h*bunter View Post
    Maybe it's made for Wolfgang and his bass?
    I would say it's because the "cool" thing to do is have your guitar hang past your knees.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

It sure must look cool to have the guitar hanging at your knees, but when you're the one actually playing it the best place is up near your chest like George Harrison from his early Beatle days.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post

When I bought it, it was of course way too long. I took it to the local Red Wing shoe store/repair shop to have it shortened. Luckily, the process is very easy. They simply unstitched the velcro on one side of the strap, and moved it up the strap 8 inches. They then unstitched the oval piece of leather with the EVH monogram on it. After that, they cut 8 inches of strap off, and re-attached the oval piece of leather. Can't even tell it was altered.

$5.00
    $5.00 is more than the average amount I spend on a single guitar strap. (I buy regular 2-inch nylon straps with leather ends. They're cheap, but they work well, and I keep one with every guitar, adjusted for that instrument specifically.)

Having to pay money to have a brand new ADJUSTABLE strap modified so it fits to what would be considered average is ludicrous.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

07.27.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Man, I went to the WRONG shoe repair guy. They charged my wife $40 to shorten mine ............

$5.00

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    $5.00 is more than the average amount I spend on a single guitar strap. (I buy regular 2-inch nylon straps with leather ends. They're cheap, but they work well, and I keep one with every guitar, adjusted for that instrument specifically.)

Having to pay money to have a brand new ADJUSTABLE strap modified so it fits to what would be considered average is ludicrous.
    While I agree that having to take a brand new strap to be modified so that it is usable is complete bullshit, I have to say that comparing it to a standard $5.00 strap is comparing apples and oranges.

The new EVH strap is comparably priced with most other "premium" guitar straps on the market, even after paying for the alteration. Unfortunately, they fucked up the legnth of the strap on the first production run. I really like the way the strap adjusts, so to me it was worth it to have it shortened, rather than return it and wait for a strap of the proper legnth to be released. Honestly, with Eddie's track record, who knows if he'll be producing these long enough for them to fix the problem.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

While I agree that having to take a brand new strap to be modified so that it is usable is complete bullshit, I have to say that comparing it to a standard $5.00 strap is comparing apples and oranges.

The new EVH strap is comparably priced with most other "premium" guitar straps on the market, even after paying for the alteration. Unfortunately, they fucked up the legnth of the strap on the first production run. I really like the way the strap adjusts, so to me it was worth it to have it shortened, rather than return it and wait for a strap of the proper legnth to be released. Honestly, with Eddie's track record, who knows if he'll be producing these long enough for them to fix the problem.
    I know, bro; I wasn't comparing the types of straps, just commenting that I've intentionally used mostly cheap nylon straps.

I do believe, though, that a manufacturing error warrants a recall of some sort. Neither you nor anyone else should have to take a brand new premium strap to a professional to have it modified. Between this and the common problems with the D-Tunas, I wonder if EVH is always choosing the best vendors to manufacture his products.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I know, bro; I wasn't comparing the types of straps, just commenting that I've intentionally used mostly cheap nylon straps.

I do believe, though, that a manufacturing error warrants a recall of some sort. Neither you nor anyone else should have to take a brand new premium strap to a professional to have it modified. Between this and the common problems with the D-Tunas, I wonder if EVH is always choosing the best vendors to manufacture his products.
    agreed.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iplayguitaralot View Post
    I would say it's because the "cool" thing to do is have your guitar hang past your knees.

I guess I have a cool sac then
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How do you know the legnth was some sort of "fuck up"?

Alot of folks complained about the Wolfgang straps being too short.
    My guess is that the legnth on the EVH strap was intentional in response to all the previous complaints. (thank you big people! )

In addition to my disappointment on the legnth, I also noted that these "Premium" EvH straps aren't even real leather.

For what I paid ($35 total), I'm not complaining ... just a little disappointed.