Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,348 Times in 3,189 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Pedal board help

I am looking to either buy a pedal board or make one now that I have 3 and am probably not done with accumulating them. I have seen some at GC and they all have power supplies and they run from 75 to 400 bones. But I use all MXR stuff and already have a DC brick. Are they worth buying or has anyone ever built one and if so how did you go about doing it? I have some ideas but I'm somewhat stuck on the fastening them down part. Any ideas?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

I never waste money buying pedal boards.

I just take a piece of wood, get some outdoor carpet, nail or staple the carpet to the wood. Then you just use velcro on the bottom of the pedals and it sticks right to the carpet. Simple. I think the board I have now cost me $7 to make. For fun I striped the bottom of it. Of course no one ever sees it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I am looking to either buy a pedal board or make one now that I have 3 and am probably not done with accumulating them. I have seen some at GC and they all have power supplies and they run from 75 to 400 bones. But I use all MXR stuff and already have a DC brick. Are they worth buying or has anyone ever built one and if so how did you go about doing it? I have some ideas but I'm somewhat stuck on the fastening them down part. Any ideas?
    Gimme a few days and I'll post pics of mine. I'm in the middle of finals week . I don't really have 'pedals' on my board in that sense -- it is more a collection of controllers and a wah, but same idea. I made mine with about $12 worth of plywood -- and it still isn't painted or covered yet so you'll be able to see how I put it together. Tying stuff down isn't hard either. If you have ANY experience doing wood working, you can definitely build a pedalboard.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I have the Furman SPB-8 (the one most people have). It's nice with the power conditioner and various power supplies, inputs/outputs, and carrying case, but I think with the right supplies and patience you could construct something equally as functional. I bought the Furman because it was lighter (plexi-glass bottom and a gig bag for a case) than most of the wooden case pedal boards.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This is an excellent thread on homemade pedalboards at ultimate-guiitar.com:
    pedalboards thread
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I have the Furman SPB-8 (the one most people have). It's nice with the power conditioner and various power supplies, inputs/outputs, and carrying case, but I think with the right supplies and patience you could construct something equally as functional. I bought the Furman because it was lighter (plexi-glass bottom and a gig bag for a case) than most of the wooden case pedal boards.
    This is the one I use but I'm actually thinking about having a piece of plywood cut and making a pedal board using a dunlop brick and some felt/carpet. I'm thinking that I'll cut it to the same size as the furhman and use the gig bag to carry it around it. I read through that thread at the UG community but I don't have those kinds of tools. I wish I did....what's more, I don't really know anyone that does.

The biggest issue I'm having with the furhman is that there aren't enough plugs for wall warts and the conditioner itself takes up so much space that if I had a board simply the same size, I could fit more on it.

Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks guys. I ended up going to home depot and getting a 4x4 peice of plywood, had them cut it in half and get an outdoor doormat to attach the pedals with velcro(thanks Brett) and used my staple gun to attach the mat. Now my next question is I currently have an EVH phaser and flanger, a dynacomp and I'm pretty sure my girl got me a dd-3 and my brother got me a mxr chorus. Now with all these pedals do I have to worry about signal loss or not? I run all the pedals through the effects loop on my 5150 II. I know the mxr pedals have a hard wire bypass but will all of them together mess with the signal?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Cool man, simple, will do the job just fine.

Well I kinda have the stuff you do and I notice NO signal loss, here's my chain though.

In Front...
    Guitar --> Boss NS-2 --> EVH Phase 90 --> EVH Flanger --> EVH Wah

Effects Loop...
    BBE 264 --> Boss DD-3 --> MXR Micro Amp

I don't think you want to run all the pedals in the loop, kinda depends what you want them to do. For me, I use the DD-3 as basically a reverb pedal so it HAS to be in the loop, it's too much out front.

I've always read that time-based effects are best suited for the loop and I have always loosely based what I do on that.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i expect to take a beating for this comment, but here goes. I have a 5150 combo and use a wah, mxr evh phaser, and the line 6 dl4. I'm thinking I should try the delay through the effects loop.

How do I set that up? let the beating start.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by DoHalen5150 View Post
    i expect to take a beating for this comment, but here goes. I have a 5150 combo and use a wah, mxr evh phaser, and the line 6 dl4. I'm thinking I should try the delay through the effects loop.

How do I set that up? let the beating start.
    I've always been told to run the delay last in the loop.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Cool man, simple, will do the job just fine.

Well I kinda have the stuff you do and I notice NO signal loss, here's my chain though.

In Front...
    Guitar --> Boss NS-2 --> EVH Phase 90 --> EVH Flanger --> EVH Wah

Effects Loop...
    BBE 264 --> Boss DD-3 --> MXR Micro Amp

I don't think you want to run all the pedals in the loop, kinda depends what you want them to do. For me, I use the DD-3 as basically a reverb pedal so it HAS to be in the loop, it's too much out front.

I've always read that time-based effects are best suited for the loop and I have always loosely based what I do on that.
    I didn't think you'd go for the EVH Wah, how's it sound? Also, why do you use your NS-2 straight after your guitar, is it THAT noisy, or are the other effects looped inside it?
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I have played it all of two times, I have no opinion on it yet. I could have just said Wah, because I switch to the Hendrix one most of the time.

The effects are looped in the NS-2.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi AT,

Is the Furman as noisy as people say, or do you not use the patch bay. I have seen many people complain that the patch bay part of it is very noisy. I'm thinking of picking one up but the noise thing has me second guessing it. Any input you have would be much appreciated.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TopJoey View Post
    Hi AT,

Is the Furman as noisy as people say, or do you not use the patch bay. I have seen many people complain that the patch bay part of it is very noisy. I'm thinking of picking one up but the noise thing has me second guessing it. Any input you have would be much appreciated.
    I've only used the input and output on it, so I can't say much beyond that. Moreover, I've always run mine on 5150s, which are of course high gain noisy amps. So I really can't say much about the noise factor, with respect to the Furman itself. I can say mine has worked flawlessly for well more than three years now, and I have no complaints about the board itself or any of the functions.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've only used the input and output on it, so I can't say much beyond that. Moreover, I've always run mine on 5150s, which are of course high gain noisy amps. So I really can't say much about the noise factor, with respect to the Furman itself. I can say mine has worked flawlessly for well more than three years now, and I have no complaints about the board itself or any of the functions.
    Thanks AT, I think I'm gonna give it a shot, Musician's Friend has the SPB-8 on sale this weekend for $169.99 with free shipping.