Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Got an "H" in algebra!!!

Grand Rapids high school students cannot get failing grade under new policy
    Posted by Grand Rapids Press December 03, 2008 10:09AM

GRAND RAPIDS -- No Grand Rapids high school students will find failing grades on their report cards when they arrive this week.

Instead, students who performed poorly will see an "H" for "held" and an opportunity to make up the work and earn a passing grade by the end of the next trimester.

Teachers union leaders argue the change is another late-marking period scramble to boost sagging scores and undermines their ability to get students to show up and work hard all trimester.

Superintendent Bernard Taylor said the plan gives students a second chance to overcome problems and be successful.

"We are not watering down standards or lowering standards," Taylor said. "We're giving people the opportunity to meet standards when they go astray."

Taylor said the move is part of the district's evolving "Success Only Option" that calls for offering students multiple opportunities and methods to demonstrate they know class material.

Late in the spring semester, administrators offered students a chance to improve scores by handing in missing work. Then, in the last days of the school year, teachers were prohibited from docking points for excessive absences or poor behavior.

Administrators this week are telling teachers about the latest change, which comes as they are turning in grades for the recently completed trimester.

About 2,400 failing grades were converted to "held" grades for the trimester. Students will have the option of repeating the course, taking it as an online class on Saturdays or evenings and working with tutors.

Students who have an "incomplete" grade can turn in missing assignments.

The work has to be made up by the end of the new trimester. Students also can decide to accept the failing grade.

Taylor said people have three chances to get their driver's license, and lawyers in some states can keep taking the bar exam until they pass.

"The only time we insist on failure if you don't get it the first time is with children in high school," he said. "Our children are our precious gifts and, if sometimes they need a little longer for their light to shine, let's let them do it."
    © 2008 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Just saw them discuss it on fox news, something like 10% of all the grades given out in the district is gonna be an "H". WTF?!??!!?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Man, that's a total cop out by the school system! Crack the whip and give it to 'em hard! Administer those F's! Make 'em earn it.

on the other hand, I say why the Hell didn't they incorporate this back when I was in High School?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

No child left behind, eh? This seems like a practical system. Rather than failing, the student is given the option of repeating the class, making up the work and handing it in at a later date. What's wrong with that, if the goal id to teach people?

Or would it be more prudent to simply advance the child without he/she doing the work at all? If this practice does anything to stem the advancing tide of sheer stupidity that is plaguing our nation, why not give it a shot? Better yet, hows about paying our teachers what they are actually worth in this country? Doctors and lawyers get make some pretty righteous bucks, as Spicoli would say. How did they get to where they are? Yup, teachers.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    No child left behind, eh? This seems like a practical system. Rather than failing, the student is given the option of repeating the class, making up the work and handing it in at a later date. What's wrong with that, if the goal id to teach people?

Or would it be more prudent to simply advance the child without he/she doing the work at all? If this practice does anything to stem the advancing tide of sheer stupidity that is plaguing our nation, why not give it a shot? Better yet, hows about paying our teachers what they are actually worth in this country? Doctors and lawyers get make some pretty righteous bucks, as Spicoli would say. How did they get to where they are? Yup, teachers.

we already have that....the time honored tradition of summer school

this concept of protecting children from the reality of their own shortcomings and failures is creating a generation of entitled kids who feel everyone gets a ribbon just for showing up..

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Sometimes I wonder why we even bother anymore. As long as a kid can spell "LOL" on his cellphone, I reckon he's good to go. Maybe we should change our country's name to L.S.A. - lowered standards of America...

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Just saw them discuss it on fox news, something like 10% of all the grades given out in the district is gonna be an "H". WTF?!??!!?
    No, Rebel. Not WTF...WTH.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

You know Chef, I understand your point but the objective of school is not just learning the ABC's, it's laying a foundation of skills that you will need to be successful. When you have a job, your boss is not going to be happy if the project you have been tasked with is not completed on time. He is not going to say "Oh, don't worry about it, just turn it in when you get time". He is not going to be happy when you don't show up for work. He is not going to be happy if you do show up and turn the project in but you half assed did what needed to be done. You'll be getting a big F at work as in FIRED.

Think about what these schools are teaching kids. They are setting them up for failure in the real world. I don't think the warm and fuzzy approach of coddling kids prepares them or teaches them determination, time management, or drive. Not to say that kids have to set the world on fire but working any sort of job demands you show up and are on time.

I don't think they should have assigned an "H", I think it should have been a "K" for "Kick in the ass and get to school before you become a total dumbass".
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    You know Chef, I understand your point but the objective of school is not just learning the ABC's, it's laying a foundation of skills that you will need to be successful. When you have a job, your boss is not going to be happy if the project you have been tasked with is not completed on time. He is not going to say "Oh, don't worry about it, just turn it in when you get time". He is not going to be happy when you don't show up for work. He is not going to be happy if you do show up and turn the project in but you half assed did what needed to be done. You'll be getting a big F at work as in FIRED.

Think about what these schools are teaching kids. They are setting them up for failure in the real world. I don't think the warm and fuzzy approach of coddling kids prepares them or teaches them determination, time management, or drive. Not to say that kids have to set the world on fire but working any sort of job demands you show up and are on time.

I don't think they should have assigned an "H", I think it should have been a "K" for "Kick in the ass and get to school before you become a total dumbass".
    Exactly, very well put. You obviously didn't get many "H" grades while you where in school. Goes back to one of my favorite points in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Late in the spring semester, administrators offered students a chance to improve scores by handing in missing work. Then, in the last days of the school year, teachers were prohibited from docking points for excessive absences or poor behavior.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    No, Rebel. Not WTF...WTH.
    Well done.

I guess I'm a traditional kind of guy, but shit, if you're going to fail a class then you should get an F. Not an H, an F. For crying out loud, if you don't want an F then work harder. These adults need to stop being such wankers and not sugar coat what it really is. It's an F....call it for what it is.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You guys do realize that there are IVY league colleges that don't have any grades lower than a C? If you don't pass with a C or higher, you get an incomplete and have to retake the class. Sure, none of these kids are in that territory, just saying the concept is not without precedent.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    You guys do realize that there are IVY league colleges that don't have any grades lower than a C? If you don't pass with a C or higher, you get an incomplete and have to retake the class. Sure, none of these kids are in that territory, just saying the concept is not without precedent.
    Ivy league colleges are not saying make it up later and we'll accept it. They are saying you do not get the college credit unless you want to pay to take the class again and in my book, that is failure whether it's on a paper or not. As Daisy mentioned, that is more like summer school or doing the grade over.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.