Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default British school postpones Christmas nativity in favour of Muslim Eid celebrations

Greenwood Junior School sent out a letter to parents saying the three day festival of Eid al-Adha, which takes place between 8-11 December, meant that Muslim children would be off school.

That meant planning for a traditional pantomime were shelved because the school felt it would be too difficult to run both celebrations side by side.

The move has left parents furious.

Janette Lynch, whose seven-year-old son Keanu attends the school, in Sneinton, Nottingham, said: "The head has a whole year to plan for Eid and so she should be able to plan for both religious festivals.

"I have never heard of this at a school. It is the first year my son has been there and a lot of the mums like me were really looking forward to seeing the children on stage.”

She said a letter, sent from “The staff at Greenwood Junior School', said: "It is with much regret that we have had to cancel this year's Christmas performances. This is due to the Eid celebrations that take place next week and its effect on our performers.”

Following outrage from parents, the school was forced to send out a second letter saying that the Christmas play would be done in January.

Sent by the head teacher, Amber Latif, and Yvonne Wright, chair of governors, it apologised for “any misunderstanding” but said it had to respect “the cultures and religions of all the children”.

It added: "The Christmas performance has not been cancelled outright but has been postponed until the New Year.”

Parents said they were originally told the performance was cancelled because children wanted to celebrate Eid with their families at home, and planning of the school year made it difficult to move performance dates to another week.

Sajad Hussain, 35, of who has two children at Greenwood Junior, said: "My children will be off for the two days next week to see their family.

"It's not that complicated; they could have one event on one day and another on another day, they should have both celebrations at the school.

"If you do not have both it becomes a racist thing and that's why you have to be careful. If an issue is made out of it, it could become nasty."

Yesterday, a statement issued by Greenwood Junior, said: "We would like to apologise for any confusion caused as a result of [the original] letter we sent out and would like to reassure parents and the community that Christmas has not been cancelled at Greenwood Junior School.

"For very practical reasons we have taken the difficult decision to re-arrange some significant events on the school calendar to ensure maximum pupil and staff attendance.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Muslims make up a significant percentage of the population in Europe and their culture will need to be recognized. Traditional European customs will just have to adjust if not take a back seat altogether. That is what muticulturalism is all about. Enjoy.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Muslims make up a significant percentage of the population in Europe and their culture will need to be recognized. Traditional European customs will just have to adjust if not take a back seat altogether. That is what muticulturalism is all about. Enjoy.
    You've got it all backwards my bizarro friend.
    The British should recognize Eid the same way Saudi Arabia recognizes Christmas.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    The British should recognize Eid the same way Saudi Arabia recognizes Christmas.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH122 View Post
    Well, you see, whatever Christians there are in Saudi Arabia, no one fears their being an uprising on their part for the lack of recognition of Christmas. In Europe, let's think, who has been in the streets committing random acts of violence when they don't get what they percieve they should. Ahh, MUSLIMS!! See, there is a fear of what these people might do if they get pissed off, therefore good, decent, well intended individuals tend to over compensate to try and appease the minority communities, in this case Muslims.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post

===============================

Well, you see, whatever Christians there are in Saudi Arabia, no one fears their being an uprising on their part for the lack of recognition of Christmas. In Europe, let's think, who has been in the streets committing random acts of violence when they don't get what they percieve they should. Ahh, MUSLIMS!! See, there is a fear of what these people might do if they get pissed off, therefore good, decent, well intended individuals tend to over compensate to try and appease the minority communities, in this case Muslims.
    So, "muticulturalism" is about changing due to fear? yeah, ok...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Nobody ever worries about offending Christians, period. (Except during election years)

The Christian has become more offensive to the secular populous than the Muslim.

Nobody ever worries about upsetting a modern Christian because with the exception of a few extremist anti-abortionist snipers - most Christians aren't aggressive-natured enough (nor should they be) to do anything more than hold up some signs in front of a building in protest and pray at their local church.

So as a result - we see things like we do today.

What makes it even more difficult is when a nation is transitioning to a 'post-Christian' state for which makes arguing about it a mute point anyway.
    Last edited by Mister T.; 12.04.08 at 01:15 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We need to argue, we can't keep letting this shit happen. We should take offense to it and speak up. We have a right to celebrate Christmas our way too.
    Didn't former British Prime-Minister Tony Blair say that multiculturalism wasn't working?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can't we all get past this my-god-can-beat-up-your-god business already.
    No? Just checking.

"Religion poisons everything"

Happy Holidays.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

What kind of brainiac at the school lacked the thought process to know that canceling the Christmas program would be a problem.

It doesn't seem like scheduling both would be that big a deal. There's some information (or missing agenda) missing from that story.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

All I got to say in response to this are 2 words:

MERRY CHRISTMAS...If you don't like hearing those 2 words then get the fuck out of my country
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Multiculturalisim is crap. Merry Christmas...

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post

MERRY CHRISTMAS...If you don't like hearing those 2 words then get the fuck out of my country
    My sentiments exactly.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can't they just do the christmas play the week after the muslim holiday? i dont see the issue with that, unless there are other things going on that week.

and, as i say to EVERYONE at work, and everywhere MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS!
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you don’t have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Don’t forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post

i agree with you on this one. People need to realize that these our mainly Christian countries. There's nothing wrong with being respectful of other religions but I find it's typically white people that cause most of these problems by thinking too much. What's wrong with celebrating both holidays? This is a public school I imagine not a Christian school so if you have large Christian and Muslim populations in the school, plan accordingly. Damn, people like to make problems out of nothing.