VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Default beginners corner....maybe?

with christmas rapidly approaching and with guitars being a popular present i was thinking why don't we (the guitar roomers) create a thread specifically aimed at beginners, i know a lot of threads are regarding technical queeries etc but i was thinking purely tips and playing advice, you know, the things we have picked up over the years.

thoughts......or am i flogging a dead horse?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good idea. Create one and maybe we could get it sticky'd.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

i'll start a question for ya, how in the hell do you do a pinched harmonic, or horsie scream?
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

A pinched harmonic happens when you get a little skin from your thumb into the attack of the string with your pick. It takes some trial and ever...

Try watching this guy's lesson...some others are on there too..

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KRAMER5150 View Post
    i'll start a question for ya, how in the hell do you do a pinched harmonic, or horsie scream?
    Lefty explained it pretty well. For me, it took moving my thumb closer and closer to the contact end of the pick. Practice.
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the horsie scream you mention is pretty much the same thing....you hit a pinch harmonic or natural harmonic while depressing the whammy bar and then gradually raise the bar and vibrato the note (with the bar).
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Default Good idea

I took my first lesson on Saturday. I am 44 and never picked up a guitar until last month. I wish I had started this 30 years ago ! Given how much I love rock , I am amazed I didnt think of doing this a long time ago. But I picked up a couple of collectible guitars, so it only seemed natural to buy another one that I can actually try to play.

In the process of learning Back in Black , would be happy if I could master one song ! Just in the 3 short days I have been practicing, I am making some progress. But given all that needs to be done, I am amazed at anyone who can play. Remembering the chords , moving the fingers , holding the guitar right , etc , etc.
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    12-28-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    12-30-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    5-13-2008 IZOD Arena East Rutherford , NJ
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    5-28-2008 Verizon Manchester, NH
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can you belive my dumb ass? I've been building guitars for almost 6 years and onl;y know enough to get em out the door. Play a tune? Forget it.
    This threads a great idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Default 1st questions

OK, here are my 1st two questions :

What equipment and software do I need to record what I play onto my computer ?

My instructor tells me that he does not want to see my thumb over the top of the guitar and make sure there is space between my hand and the guitar. Makes sense to me as this appears to be the best way to be able to fret the strings at the proper angle. But when I look at some of the pictures of EVH I see his thumb over the top of the guitar. What gives ?

Thanks,

John
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

You have many options of recording software and hardware. Would help to know your budget.

Regarding the thumb over the neck. It would be better for your technique to keep your thumb in the middle of the neck. However you do need to use your thumb for certain rock songs. Its not going to kill you to do it but you would be better served not developing any bad habits that could limit your technique down the road. A lot of guitarists play with their thumb around the neck and seem to do fine but most shredders don't.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    You have many options of recording software and hardware. Would help to know your budget.

Regarding the thumb over the neck. It would be better for your technique to keep your thumb in the middle of the neck. However you do need to use your thumb for certain rock songs. Its not going to kill you to do it but you would be better served not developing any bad habits that could limit your technique down the road. A lot of guitarists play with their thumb around the neck and seem to do fine but most shredders don't.
    Thanks !

Since I am starting out , budget for recording is small. Would just like to be able to record my playing so I can hear what is sounds like. I have a Dell Inspiron with Vista laptop.
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    I took my first lesson on Saturday. I am 44 and never picked up a guitar until last month. I wish I had started this 30 years ago ! Given how much I love rock , I am amazed I didnt think of doing this a long time ago. But I picked up a couple of collectible guitars, so it only seemed natural to buy another one that I can actually try to play.

In the process of learning Back in Black , would be happy if I could master one song ! Just in the 3 short days I have been practicing, I am making some progress. But given all that needs to be done, I am amazed at anyone who can play. Remembering the chords , moving the fingers , holding the guitar right , etc , etc.
    Just play a lot, practice, even if not a song, pick up the guitar a lot.
    You will pass over a hill one day where everything you mention just becomes natural instinct, and you can then concentrate on learning songs instead of learning the guitar.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Can you belive my dumb ass? I've been building guitars for almost 6 years and onl;y know enough to get em out the door. Play a tune? Forget it.
    This threads a great idea.
    Wow Ron I had no idea you didn't know how to play.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    OK, here are my 1st two questions :

What equipment and software do I need to record what I play onto my computer ?

My instructor tells me that he does not want to see my thumb over the top of the guitar and make sure there is space between my hand and the guitar. Makes sense to me as this appears to be the best way to be able to fret the strings at the proper angle. But when I look at some of the pictures of EVH I see his thumb over the top of the guitar. What gives ?

Thanks,

John
    All teachers want you to use proper technique and put your thumb behind the neck, I have mine wrapped over the side too, it's what's comfortable to me on some chords. It's kind of the lazy way to play. But like ziggy said, sometimes you do use your thumb to hit the low strings. so it depends. When I solo though, I do put my thumb behind as I can play faster. Ed's technique is all self-taught, like a lot of us, so he does what works for him.

You'll see most rock players with their thumb over the side of the guitar. Some of it is on purpose, and some of it is like I said lazy and bad technique. Frankly I don't think it makes a difference. If you're gonna a be a classical player then I could see getting all hung up about it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The guy who helped me along had the same problem as I did, less than stellar finger span. As a consequence, I tended to use my thumb quite often; a habit I have been chastised by more "classicly trained" gutarists back in the day.

Is it any wonder I never had a problem with guitars with neck radii that were a bit smaller?
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 12.02.08 at 08:24 AM.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.