Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default "It's what I use"...SUUUURE it is

So the wife tried to be nice and got me a EVH strap and the EVH picks as a little present for my birthday. Stamped all over this stuff is "Its what I use!". Well, having discovered that "its what you use", I now understand why there's no new music coming out of 5150.

The strap: Nice enough, I guess, for Chinese-made "leather" (how many rats did they have to skin to make each one, I wonder?). Only one problem...the damn thing is wayyyy too long! Ive shortened it as much as it goes, and I still feel like Jimmy Page, with my axe down around my knees. Im 6 feet tall, too...how the hell does little 5'5" EVH keep his guitar from dragging on the ground with this strap?

The picks: yeah, yeah, I know, theyre just PICKS, dude!! But these simply suck. Feels like the picks are made out of cut-up 2-liter Coke bottles. But at least the tin they come in is kind of cool, and works for storing my WORKING picks.

Anyway, just had to rant a little about it. I cant say anything like this to the wife, who really thinks she did something special (and I love her for the thought and effort) buying me EVH-brand stuff.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    The strap: Nice enough, I guess, for Chinese-made "leather" (how many rats did they have to skin to make each one, I wonder?).

Ohhh, you wish it was rats!

What do you think happened to all those political protesters who were "detained" before the Olympics?

Don't read this.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i've heard similar stories about the straps before, but from what i understood they were fixing it, as it was a manufacturing issue?! (i could ofcourse dreamed this!)
    as for the picks i spose picks are a personal thing, people i know tell me how great those tortex ones are but i cant stand them so instead i use dean markley .58mm picks.
    what is it about them that you don't like?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

The strap is a joke, I am 6' too and my strap is at 48". I could never use that EVH one that goes to 52" at the shortest. Ed is like 5'9" (he isnt 5'5" trust me), if he had it at 52" the guitar would be on the ground for sure.

I got some of the picks too, I kinda liked them actually. I normally use the .70 Tortex (yellow ones) and I liked the EVH ones.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 1,965 Times in 445 Posts

Donor

Yes, the EVH strap is too long for a lot of people, that's for sure. Eddie DOES use the exact same strap, but a shorter version of it. I am hoping that they make a shorter version of it in the near future.

As for the picks - they're great picks. They are, indeed, exactly what he uses. I would think no one would have a problem with them.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Yeah, Im sure the picks gripe is just a personal thing, but it bugs me that she probably paid $1.50 apiece for them, and they have little burrs on the sides from where they were punched out of a sheet of plastic.
    Mostly, they're just way too thin for me. I normally use the .88mm green tortex ones. No big deal...picks get lost all the time and she'll never know the difference
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Nah it's $11 for 12 of them, so not quite.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little off topic but....

Do you guys really all use .5mm - .8mm picks?! Maybe it is just me, but those all seem way too flimsy, especially for attacking the strings like EVH does, or playing any kind of speed licks/picking. Heck, I think I am using 1.2mm Delrin picks right now. Hmmm.... just wondering what you all use.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Funny cause I've NEVER seen him use those picks on stage. They've always looked like a completely different gauge.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

.73mm flimsy? Wow I guess some of you like playing with coins or something. I guess I like what would be considered "medium" picks. I don't like the attack I get from heavy picks, I need some play when I hit the strings.

Again, I kinda like Ed's picks, I don't know I've been using them since Jeff sent me a set last week. Comfortable, a little lighter than my yellow Dunlops, but I think they play nicely. So while I may not like everything Ed puts his name on, these picks seem good to me.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i've tried so many gauges of pick over the years from real heavy (1.8mm) to real light stuff that snaps after a song (sometimes midway through) up until recently i had been using either .78 or 1mm picks but i'm very agressive with my picking hand and they would often just fly off into the audience! so i just bought a whole bunch of different gauges made from different materials and sat down n played with them all and did a quick back to back test, and for me the dean markley .58 suited me best, theres enough attack from them and they flex (just) enough not to fly out of my hand when i'm going ape shit.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will never bitch about a strap being too long. 90% of the ones I find are too short. Fortunately the 4" Levi leather straps are plenty long as well as made of a nice grade leather

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been using the same yellow dunlops Bret is talking about, can't imagine those being considered "flimsy." In fact they are so heavy it took some getting used to...I used to use the orange dunlops or Fender mediums...tell you what though, the dunlop Ultex picks are awesome for acoustic guitar...if you haven't tried, them, check 'em out.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I use Dunlop Gators between 1.14mm and 1.5mm, so I don't think these picks will be for me! It's a personal preference thing.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I use Dunlop Gators between 1.14mm and 1.5mm, so I don't think these picks will be for me! It's a personal preference thing.
    For the guitar I prefer the Tortex myself, as it's a tad larger. I have a tendency to break anything lighter. As for the bass, I stopped using picks years ago.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw