Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,950 Times in 3,995 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I'm sorry broken but HONESTY should be something that EVERYBODY on this planet owes to each other. Why in God's name are Ed and Robert Downey Jr any different?

I still don't care anymore when I know Ed is lying because I can't change anything. Like you said, it is what it is.

But HONESTY is not just something to take for granted. Although in society today it is I guess after all the shit that has gone on.
    Why does he or anyone have to make public their personal life? Put it this way, I'm an alcoholic, been sobor pushing 4 years. I don't broadcast it, its nobodys buisness unless I make it theirs. Honesty is a principle that more folks should have but not when its none of their buisness.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

08.27.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 545 Times in 297 Posts

Donor

Did anyone notice that DLR, AVH and WVH all had the requirement for a table for catering in their dressing room but EVH didn't? Either the man is dropping by Alex's or Wolfgang's for some grub or the man isn't eating. Of course eating does tend to kill the buzz.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Why does he or anyone have to make public their personal life?

They don't. Not at all. There are many people who are public entertainers (movie actors, musicians) who keep their private lives private. People generally understand that and respect it.

But, that's the point. Why would you publicize your private life in order to lie about it?

To be fair to Edward, I don't recall him mentioning his drinking problem in a while. Lately, he seems to "take time off to work on some personal problems." The problem with that is, he'd already let the cat out of the bag a long time ago, before Balance, if I remember correctly. He came out of rehab then "100% clean and sober" and talking publicly about it a lot. Then, when he did the 2004 tour and was obviously not sober, it was too late to talk about "personal problems." Everybody in the world knew what the "personal problems" were. He'd already told us.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

08.23.19 @ 09:26 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 78 Posts

I think to an extent though there is a cultural difference. In Canada a celebrity like Neil Peart (or more recentley Shania Twain) asks for privacy while dealing with a personal problem, and the media here will (for the most part) respect that.

When a celebrity in the States asks for privacy, the immeditae reaction is for everybody (CNN, TMZ, E! etc.) to put an even brighter spotlight on that person and see if they can't get even more juicy dirt.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

07.26.19 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Why does he or anyone have to make public their personal life? Put it this way, I'm an alcoholic, been sobor pushing 4 years. I don't broadcast it, its nobodys buisness unless I make it theirs. Honesty is a principle that more folks should have but not when its none of their buisness.
    Nobody is asking Ed or YOU to broadcast it.

Like Bullwinkle said. The man has the option NOT to be asked about it in interviews.

And congratulations about 4 years sober and all the best to the future of your sobriety Fudd!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    celebrities owe themselves and their loved ones honesty to the same degree that we do...but they don't owe me or any of you honesty per say. If they want to spin things or flat out lie, well, that's their perogative and it's up to me and you and everyone else to formulate their opinions from that. I don't see how some celebrity owes some anonymous "fan" some intimate degree of insight into their lives and I think the whole press release asking for privacy is pretty silly myself. As for lying, again, if someone in their position wants to lie in an interview, I don't particularly care because I don't know them, I'm not emotionally invested or personally involved in how they live their lives. If that's their thing, well, that's their thing.

As for Ed's alcoholism/non-alcoholism, spot on, it's HIS call...I can't decide for him that he's an "alcoholic" anymore than I can decide anyone else is. It's his monkey to carry or play with or whatever...not for me to use as a way to spew my own self-righteousness about how he should or shouldn't conduct himself...
    This I don't understand. I'm not saying Ed has to answer the question. But if he allows it to be asked than we DESERVE an honest answer imo

So if I ask Ed a question and he lies, I should fluff it off. But if YOU were to ask ME a question or some other random human being and THEY lied...it would be a problem.

I understand NOBODY owes anybody ANYTHING when it comes to being honest and truthful.

It's called decency.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.28.08 at 09:52 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I disagree. Don't you think that everybody owes everybody honesty?

Here's another example to throw in: Neil Peart of Rush.

Neil's wife and daughter both died in the same year and, naturally, Neil was pretty messed up about it. The band released a press statement saying, "Neil has had some personal tragedies and would appreciate it if you respect his privacy during this time."
    For years after that, Neil wouldn't do interviews. He wanted to keep his private life private and people respected that. It was honest. (Later, Neil wrote a book about it.)

When an interviewer sits down with a celebrity, the interviewer always asks, "Is there any subject we should avoid? Anything you don't want to talk about before I turn on the recorder?" The celebrity always has an option
    about what he wants to discuss.

Edward, apparently, allows the subject of his drinking to be brought up and then lies about it. Why? I don't know. But it's not respectable.

As to your point about a recovering alcoholic being able to drink moderately; I think we get into a problem of definition here. Every "alcoholic" I know struggled for years to "drink like other people" before giving that up. They either stop drinking entirely, or they die. I've seen it happen both ways. A friend of mine likes to say, "If I could drink like normal people, I'd drink all day long." That about sums it up for me as well.
    The problem is, nobody gets to decide whether you're an alcoholic or not. Only you can make that call. If you can drink moderately, maybe you're not an alcoholic. Maybe Ed's not an alcoholic. Only he can make that call. It could be that all of his past behaviors have been blown out of proportion by us and the media. What do you think?

(Note: It is impossible for me to write a post about Rush without mentioning that Geddy Lee is God.)
    Great post.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 09:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I think to an extent though there is a cultural difference. In Canada a celebrity like Neil Peart (or more recentley Shania Twain) asks for privacy while dealing with a personal problem, and the media here will (for the most part) respect that.

When a celebrity in the States asks for privacy, the immeditae reaction is for everybody (CNN, TMZ, E! etc.) to put an even brighter spotlight on that person and see if they can't get even more juicy dirt.

There is a class of celebrity which has such ultra-mega-superstardom that they cannot avoid having every detail of their lives exposed to the public. I truly feel sorry for those people.
    We all have embarrassing secrets in our past, we are all abnormal in some way. It's a shame that these people have their private secrets dragged out in front of everybody when they don't want that to happen.
    I have always felt sorry for Michael Jackson in that regard. From the age of five, all he has known is screaming fans, millions of paparrazi flashbulbs, and the prying eyes of the gossip magazines. I believe it's impossible for a five-year old boy to grow into a sane adult under those circumstances.

Our national politicians go through this too, and I think it makes them a little crazy, but I don't feel very sorry for them. Their personal life is a big part of their resume, and they know that when they sign up.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I have always felt sorry for Michael Jackson in that regard. From the age of five, all he has known is screaming fans, millions of paparrazi flashbulbs, and the prying eyes of the gossip magazines. I believe it's impossible for a five-year old boy to grow into a sane adult under those circumstances.
    Great example!! Ive always thought MJ's parents should have been charged with child abuse for some of this. Is it any wonder that MJ becomes an adult and surrounds himself with children and child-like activities, etc? He never HAD a childhood, and that manifested itself later in his life in MANY ways.
    Still doesnt excuse giving the kids "Jesus Juice", however...
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Brown M&Ms! Where's the clause about the Brown M&Ms?!
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,950 Times in 3,995 Posts

Donor

And congratulations about 4 years sober and all the best to the future of your sobriety Fudd!
    Thanks bro.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VivaVH View Post
    Brown M&Ms! Where's the clause about the Brown M&Ms?!
    There won't be any Brown M&M's around I can assure you.

Those are Wolfie's favourite

sorry Wolf j/k

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

This I don't understand. I'm not saying Ed has to answer the question. But if he allows it to be asked than we DESERVE an honest answer imo

So if I ask Ed a question and he lies, I should fluff it off. But if YOU were to ask ME a question or some other random human being and THEY lied...it would be a problem.

I understand NOBODY owes anybody ANYTHING when it comes to being honest and truthful.

It's called decency.
    that's not what I'm getting at...i'm saying that if we're going to get into the "owe" deal I think that only applies to friends and close associates...not necessarily strangers and certainly not to the fan/celebrity thing...if I as you a question and you lie, that's fine by me...it's your life and perogative to either say "no comment" or come up with a "lie" to simply avoid the answer if I'm asking a question that is none of my business....If I ask my dad something though, I would expect to hear the truth. Does that make sense?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    that's not what I'm getting at...i'm saying that if we're going to get into the "owe" deal I think that only applies to friends and close associates...not necessarily strangers and certainly not to the fan/celebrity thing...if I as you a question and you lie, that's fine by me...it's your life and perogative to either say "no comment" or come up with a "lie" to simply avoid the answer if I'm asking a question that is none of my business....If I ask my dad something though, I would expect to hear the truth. Does that make sense?
    It does make sense. I'm not really arguing with your initial fact, I guess I'm just tweaking it in light of my opinion.

If I ask ANYBODY a question, I would EXPECT an honest answer.

Of course I would EXPECT my family to be honest more so than a stranger that doesn't know me. But as human beings shouldn't we all be honest with each other?

Bottom line in my opinion is, if Ed doesn't want to be asked those questions than he should say before hand, like others do: "Hey guys don't ask me about this. I don't really want to talk about it.

Like recently, Ed has said that and I respect that.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 03:36 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It does make sense. I'm not really arguing with your initial fact, I guess I'm just tweaking it in light of my opinion.

If I ask ANYBODY a question, I would EXPECT an honest answer.

Of course I would EXPECT my family to be honest more so than a stranger that doesn't know me. But as human beings shouldn't we all be honest with each other?

Bottom line in my opinion is, if Ed doesn't want to be asked those questions than he should say before hand, like others do: "Hey guys don't ask me about this. I don't really want to talk about it.

Like recently, Ed has said that and I respect that.
    i don't recall any interviews recently, not that there have been many, where him being or not being an alcoholic has come up...and yeah I suppose in a perfect world we'd all be completely honest with one another no matter what but I'm not so sure that would be a good thing...how many times have we told a girl they looked great in a dress we didn't like? How many times have any of us called in sick when we just wanted to stay home and do nothing? Or when we had a hangover? Come on now...complete honesty is not anything that any of us TRULY expect of one another, so why should we expect it of Edward Van Halen?

but like I said, it's really a non-issue because the only interviews I've seen over the past year or so have been gear related in guitar world...and the "press conference" wasn't really a press conference and it didn't come up then either. As far as I can see, he's doing the same thing I'd be doing...not talking about what I don't want to talk about.