Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

'Pay What You Want' Store Forced To Close

'Pay What You Want' Store Forced To Close

By TONYA MOSLEY / KING 5 News

SEATTLE – A shop that lets you pay what want is becoming another casualty of the sagging economy. Come Thanksgiving, the OpShOp on Seattle’s Queen Anne Hill will close its doors.

"I ask people when they pay to pay with their head or their heart,” said OpShOp owner Jane Horowitz. "I also like telling the person who left it where it's going. I think making that connection is vital to every community."

"It's an act of human generosity and kindness in a time when we need that,” said customer Judy Endejan.

A bit chunk of Horowitz’s profits go to funding special programs in public schools, but what’s left over just isn’t enough to keep the business going.

“I can't pay my rent,” said Horowitz. She is two months late on the rent and has a week to move out. The landlord, Robert Burkheimer, says his hands are tied. He has to pay his mortgage and he’s already struggling to find tenants to fill up a once thriving retail strip.

Horowitz is at peace with her fate and she promises this isn’t the last of the OpShOp. "I've always said this place is magical, so maybe something magical will come of it,” said Horowitz.

She plans to donate all of the items she can’t sell within the next week.

-----------------------------------

Uh, did anyone ever tell her this was a bad business model?

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

It's nice that she was helping charities but as a business idea it's gotta be the dummest thing ever.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

The summer of love is long gone lady.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Bah, if she wants to do it, more power to her. Businesses are successful when they meet the owner's goals, whatever those goals might be.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Staying in business would be goal number one.

She gets an F.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    Bah, if she wants to do it, more power to her. Businesses are successful when they meet the owner's goals, whatever those goals might be.
    I agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

She gets an F.
    ...but I agree with this a tiny bit more. It's too bad she couldn't stay in business.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

It's okay in the end, though. She just had a social experiment and proved that capitalism still works and that people are still assholes

Last Online

05.27.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder how long she's been in business. I'm sure it wasn't for long. Hell, I'm surprised that her doors were open more than a week. This had "destined to fail" all over it. Nice business model.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Is that what she told you?

Businesses start and fail every day. Part of being an entrepreneur is deciding what the goal of the business is. Who's to say that you know hers? Oh, right, you...

There's a business in town here where the goal is to act as a conduit for businesses to donate excess materials and supplies to the local schools. The woman who runs it doesn't make a dime. She does it because she is able to and feels that it makes a difference in her community. What with the contracting business environment, it's entirely possible that she won't be able to continue in the future. Who's to say that she hasn't been successful in accomplishing her goals, other than her?

Some of you people don't seem to understand that people start businesses for whatever reason they choose to. Longevity is only one possible goal.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Is that what she told you?

Businesses start and fail every day. Part of being an entrepreneur is deciding what the goal of the business is. Who's to say that you know hers? Oh, right, you...

There's a business in town here where the goal is to act as a conduit for businesses to donate excess materials and supplies to the local schools. The woman who runs it doesn't make a dime. She does it because she is able to and feels that it makes a difference in her community. What with the contracting business environment, it's entirely possible that she won't be able to continue in the future. Who's to say that she hasn't been successful in accomplishing her goals, other than her?

Some of you people don't seem to understand that people start businesses for whatever reason they choose to. Longevity is only one possible goal.
    Hypothetically, if your goal is to start a business, and it fails after one day, I suppose you did accomplish your goal, but your execution blew.

You said businesses are successful when the owner's goal is met. Intrinsically that may be true to her, but her business was not. It closed.
    Last edited by bsbll4; 11.26.08 at 07:38 AM.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

You can argue that until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that you're not the business owner involved. You have absolutely no idea what her measurement of success was. Why pretend that you do?

Some of you people amaze me. You're perfectly happy to smugly snipe at people you don't know, for doing things that you don't understand. How many businesses have you owned, bsbll4? How many projects on that scale have you taken to reality? Have you ever had a goal that may not have been obvious to others? Particularly to others who have no comparable experiences?

You keep trying to apply your very limited life experience to this woman's creation. Maybe that's the only perspective that you can work with, but it shouldn't take much for a thinking man to move beyond that. Have you ever done anything such as run a marathon? If a person does that, and does not win the race or even finish before the course closes, do you think they have failed? By what do you judge such a thing? By your notions of what failure and success are? How foolish.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Worst. Business plan. Ever.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

You can argue that until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact that you're not the business owner involved. You have absolutely no idea what her measurement of success was. Why pretend that you do?

Some of you people amaze me. You're perfectly happy to smugly snipe at people you don't know, for doing things that you don't understand. How many businesses have you owned, bsbll4? How many projects on that scale have you taken to reality? Have you ever had a goal that may not have been obvious to others? Particularly to others who have no comparable experiences?

You keep trying to apply your very limited life experience to this woman's creation. Maybe that's the only perspective that you can work with, but it shouldn't take much for a thinking man to move beyond that. Have you ever done anything such as run a marathon? If a person does that, and does not win the race or even finish before the course closes, do you think they have failed? By what do you judge such a thing? By your notions of what failure and success are? How foolish.
    Why are you arguing whether she got anything out of it? Nobody is questioning that. We are saying her business model sucked. I swear MikeL, you must argue with the walls of your trailer or something to always be questioning other people's opinions and talking about "limited life experiences."

Get off your soapbox dude. It's getting really old.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Why are you arguing whether she got anything out of it? Nobody is questioning that. We are saying her business model sucked. I swear MikeL, you must argue with the walls of your trailer or something to always be questioning other people's opinions and talking about "limited life experiences."

Get off your soapbox dude. It's getting really old.
    Are you an idiot? How can you know the business model without knowing the goals of the business? If the business model supports her goals, then it's the right one for her. Given her comments in the story, she felt it was a success. Who are you to argue with that?

And if you don't want to discuss things, don't do it. Don't blame me for your inability to put two thoughts together.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Are you an idiot? How can you know the business model without knowing the goals of the business? If the business model supports her goals, then it's the right one for her. Given her comments in the story, she felt it was a success. Who are you to argue with that?

And if you don't want to discuss things, don't do it. Don't blame me for your inability to put two thoughts together.
    Wow. Breathe. Now take the stick out of your ass. Feel better? Your personal attacks and squabbles kill another thread, MikeL. Congratulations.