Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Danko Jones - the 21st century, black, Canadian David Lee Roth?

I had the pleasure of watching Danko Jones recently. He was the opening act on the Motorhead/Saxon tour that is just sweeping through the UK. While not as good as the other two (especially not Saxon, who made the night theirs despite Motorhead being the headliners), Danko was.....the black and Canadian David Lee Roth. I heard a number of other people commenting on it after the show too. And yes the world DOES need one, before you ask.

He's not the same as Roth was at the tail end of the 70s and throughout the 80s, because like so many modern musicians, he's more explicit and generally sounds more modern. His music doesn't have nearly so much of the poppy edge Roth's music had, it's the more "pure" rock 'n' roll that comes from being in a power trio. But the way he spoke to the crowd, worked them over, with his raps, his attitude, and his body language? That was very, very Roth. He has something of an insecurity complex which a lot of black North Americans do, and he's got some attitude that's come with it, but he still reminded me of Roth.

He made a speech similar to the one in the second video when I saw Danko in Exeter, though he focussed it more on the kind of musicians a metalhead would appreciate more, and considering British audiences are often very unreceptive of the first band of the night at any show (especially those with an incredibly dedicated fanbase like Saxon), the crowd went ballistic. I've never known a musician generate so many cheers in such a short space of time.

Even if you don't draw the same Roth comparisons I did (and I think you'd have to see him live to do so, really), anyone like it?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Hey, elf...I liked what I heard. Pretty good stuff. I know I've heard that name before...I think DJ got a mention in Classic Rock a few months back.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Eruption
    Last Online

09.06.12 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Hey, elf...I liked what I heard. Pretty good stuff. I know I've heard that name before...I think DJ got a mention in Classic Rock a few months back.
    They probably mentioned the tour at the very least. I dunno if he got mentioned elsewhere....I'm a subscriber but maybe I missed something. I imagine if he's touring he has an album out, so maybe a review.