Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    06.26.04
    Posts
    169
    Last Online

    01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Wholesale value of my 5150 III?

    I am considering trading my 5150 III for a smaller combo. Is there anyway I can find out the wholesale value of my amp BEFORE I go to the trouble of loading it in the car and dragging it down to Guitar Center?

  2. #2
    5150 A&Z Guitar Repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.23.03
    Age
    45
    Location
    North of STL, MO
    Posts
    602
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

    03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    A good rule of thumb is to take 50%-60% off of the retail when it comes to trades. This allows the person you're trading with to mark up enough to sell for a profit.

    You'd honestly be better off selling the amp outright than trade. With Guitar Center they get the Fender/EVH at cost, so their price could be less than 50% of the retail, as they sell them new.

    You might have more trade options going to a different retail store vs. Guitar Center. Regardless, you're going to take a hit if trading.

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the reality of the retail end...
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

  3. #3
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    you can now post trade/sale offers on musiciansfriend.com, which is now owned by GC, so probably same results.

    The offers I have got are a joke... I have had great succes with craigslist
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I know the 5150 Head is probably worth a bit more on a trade in than my 5150 combo, but if you would like to trade, or even trade + some cash, I'd be happy to. That is if you want a 5150 combo....

    Otherwise, what the other guys have said is correct -- Craigslist would probably be a good idea, and almost anything is better than trying to trade it in.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 11.22.08 at 10:29 AM.

  5. #5
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    06.26.04
    Posts
    169
    Last Online

    01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I know the 5150 Head is probably worth a bit more on a trade in than my 5150 combo, but if you would like to trade, or even trade + some cash, I'd be happy to. That is if you want a 5150 combo....

    Otherwise, what the other guys have said is correct -- Craigslist would probably be a good idea, and almost anything is better than trying to trade it in.
    Possibly... I had been thinking about a Line 6 / Bogner 212. I'll chew on the idea though.

    Send me a PM and tell me where you are located.

  6. #6
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    06.26.04
    Posts
    169
    Last Online

    01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to take 50%-60% off of the retail when it comes to trades. This allows the person you're trading with to mark up enough to sell for a profit.

    You'd honestly be better off selling the amp outright than trade. With Guitar Center they get the Fender/EVH at cost, so their price could be less than 50% of the retail, as they sell them new.

    You might have more trade options going to a different retail store vs. Guitar Center. Regardless, you're going to take a hit if trading.

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that's the reality of the retail end...

    Makes sense. I see used III's selling for about $2,500 or slightly less, which would mean I could expect about $1,200.

    I'll be patient and sell it on my own.

  7. #7
    5150 clawedmonet's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.04
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    564
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Likes
    103
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lieu910 View Post
    I am considering trading my 5150 III for a smaller combo. Is there anyway I can find out the wholesale value of my amp BEFORE I go to the trouble of loading it in the car and dragging it down to Guitar Center?
    I'm not sure why you're trading, but have you considered an attenuator, i.e. THD Hotplate?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 5150 / 5150 II / 5150 212 Combo Comparisons
    By AT in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01.29.07, 12:38 PM
  2. 5150
    By santista9 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12.01.05, 06:41 PM
  3. Movie score with 5150 riffs...pre 5150
    By swage in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02.02.03, 05:30 PM
  4. www.5150.com
    By BEZEK KNOWS BEST in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02.11.02, 12:58 PM
  5. 5150 vs. 5150 II
    By Unchained Wolfie in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01.19.01, 03:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •