Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default Cosmic Universal Fashion - Review

Guys, I'm a huge Sammy fan, but I felt compelled to post a negative review of his new album. I picked it up yesterday with high expectations and was very disappointed...praying that it will grow on me. I've bought all of Sammy's post Van Halen stuff (and have his Pre-Van Halen stuff too!).

Cosmic Universal Fashion is an okay way to start of the album, but after listening to it on the web a few times, I find myself already tired of it.

The two Planet Us tunes are good and heavy, but the songs feel very disjointed to me. I had a live version of Vertigo for awhile, and I was hoping a studio cut of the song would come out better...not so much. Peeping through a hole is a depressing song with forced lyrics.

The Beastie Boys remake is awful. There is no way this should have made it onto a Sammy album. He should have inserted Open here...Open would have been the best song on the album.

Loud is the best song...and the only song I find myself wanting to go back and listen to.

25641 or whatever it's called...just three words - WTF? Awful...sounds like a horrible garage band.

I'm on a roll is okay...I guess...

The acoustic Dreams is nice to have on a CD, but there's way to much dialogue in the beginning...why would I want to listen to that every time I listen to the track? The Cabo Wabo thing I've heard live so many times...and wished he would just play the rockin' out version every time I hear it.

I know I'm missing a few songs, but that's because they've just made no impression on me whatsoever. The one song about the sun not shining is a reject from the Livin' it Up CD..at least it sounds that way...probably because it sounded way too much like One Sip...at least the chorus does.

Livin it Up was a better CD. Sorry to be so harsh...but this CD doesn't hold a candle to MTM or Not4Sale (save for Whole Lotta Zep...stop with the silly remakes, Sam).

I appreciate that Sam keeps giving us new material. I really do. I just fell like he fell flat with this.

Looking forward to Rooster Appendage. Truly I am.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I am compelled to agree ---somewhat. I like Loud. It is a good rockin' tune. Guitar wise I also like 24365 and Switch on the Light, but lyrically not so much. Dreams/Cabo and FFYRTP are pure filler to me. I had heard most of this album before the release, but found the sticker on the album cover to be somewhat misleading: "The Return Of The Redrocker!!" Not so much. I think that Sammy as taken the Wabo's as far as they can go. Time for a change and hopefully Chickenfoot lives up to expectations.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:56 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Fight for Your Right shouldn't have been included, and I'm On A Roll should have been left off IMHO. LOUD is spectacular, I like When the Sun Don't Shine, Psycho Vertigo is great, Peephole is very cool, CUF is not bad, Dreams/Cabo is cool, but Open would have been a great inclusion.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I just picked up the album for $11.88. I haven't listened to it yet, but I pretty much know, going in, that it's going to be disappointing. But, being a Sammy fan, what am I going to do, not buy it? Even in this down economy, it's hard to say no.

I also picked up Live Hallelujah, used, for $6.99.

I think I've bought more new releases this year than in any year since 1995.
    Extreme
    Tesla
    Hagar

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:56 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Yeah I've bought a ton:

Def Leppard: Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (special edition)
    Judas Priest: Nostradamus (special edition)
    Dokken: Lightning Strikes Again
    Saints of The Underground: Love the Sin, Hate the Sinner
    Motley Crue: Saint of Los Angeles
    Alice Cooper: Along Came A Spider
    Extreme: Saudades de Rock
    Metallica: Death Magnetic
    AC/DC: Black Ice

I might pick up Chinese Democracy, but I just don't like the idea of "G n' R" when it's just Axl.

Hagar's album is better than LIU, but it's still too inconsistent.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Hmmmm... I really dig it fellas!

CUF, Vertigo, Peephole and LOUD - all cool, heavy... nice to hear that again after Livin It Up! I keep playing these 4 over and over.

Fight For You Right - Nope, go away... replace with "Open" please!

Switch On The Light - love it, ZZ Top dirty bluesy.

When The Sun Don't Shine - Ehhhh.. *shrug*

24365 - (see above)

I'm On A Roll - Love the guitar tone on this one... beat has a "Privacy" feel... silly lyrics, but Sammy sounds great.

Dreams/Cabo - Acoustic Dreams - nice!

Again - better than LIU!... no particular song really stood out for me on that record. I've always really liked, "Not 4 Sale" even though a lot of fans didn't... this has that same vibe for me.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.02.14 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ordered mine online from Best Buy Saturday for only $9.99 and it was delivered today!

Look, at this stage of his career he can make the music that he wants and if these songs are the direction he wants to go in so be it. As fans, we have to buy it and crank the songs we like best. There are 10 songs on this album and 2 suck, not a bad investment. At least he cares enough to put out records every two years unlike some bands we all know and love.

I'll take one song a year as opposed to nothing. Sammy rocks and it's nice to hear Mikey on here as well.

The return of the Redrocker is right!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by eman2 View Post
    Ordered mine online from Best Buy Saturday for only $9.99 and it was delivered today!

Look, at this stage of his career he can make the music that he wants and if these songs are the direction he wants to go in so be it. As fans, we have to buy it and crank the songs we like best. There are 10 songs on this album and 2 suck, not a bad investment. At least he cares enough to put out records every two years unlike some bands we all know and love.

I'll take one song a year as opposed to nothing. Sammy rocks and it's nice to hear Mikey on here as well.

The return of the Redrocker is right!

I agree with all that...the guy has been prolific since leaving Van Halen...I could put together my own greatest hits off all the stuff he's put out since leaving Van Halen...this is just my least favorite album. Yea, Peeping and Vertigo are heavy, but they kind of suck. Real Herky Jerky...i like heavy...like Serious JuJu is a great song. Blows away anything on this album.

I think Sammy just threw some shit on the wall this time to see if anything would stick. He sounds okay...I don't mind the age his voice is showing...but in addition to my comments above, I found the mix on most of the songs to be weird...Sammy's voice sounds like it is coming out of a different track or something...I don't know anything about recording, but the volume of his voice has been raised so you can hear him over the music and I don't like the affect that has created.

Whatever, maybe it will grow on me.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,617 Times in 994 Posts

Donor

I agree the album was a letdown, and I was really looking forward to a new direction - or a return to some old reliable directions after the Livin' It Up debacle. Definitely an eclectic mix of tones and composition choice, I'll give CUF that much. It's better than LIU, but he had nowhere to go but up after that. I'm really hoping that he saved the primo stuff for Joe, Mike, and Chad.

I do like the title track update to Right Now. I thought at first it was an improvement on the original cut on Baghdad Metal. Now after a few listens, I may like the first version more, I dunno.

After multiple plays this week on the Bose, I'd have to say the album, while admirable in its experimental aspects, is on a whole not very cohesive. I think the analogy earlier mentioned might be most apt - throw it on a wall and see what sticks, seems to be the case, given the strange mix of differently toned tracks.

Despite the presence of Mike and the Cult boys, LOUD has proven to be less than what it was made out to be. The Beasties cover was a ridiculous choice - just because something's fun to play live doesn't mean it should be cut to studio. When the Sun Don't Shine - blecch. I'm on a Roll...some decent groove work from Vic, but the chorals kill it. 24365, another example of some very decent axe crunch and groove from the band, but the goddamn chorus spoils another coulda-been track. Peephole barely an average cut, not noteworthy. The live Dreams acoustic / Cabo acapella end track feels exactly like the add-on filler for BOBW's live tracks. I don't think Dreams works as an acoustic ballad, but to be fair, I never found Dreams a very good key/electric ballad either.

So it came down to a couple of standout tracks for me....I very much enjoy Psycho Vertigo, and I do like Switch on the Light a heckuva lot. But two songs outta ten ain't battin' 300.

Everyone always cites Sam's lyrical issues, but ya know what? It's not the verses that's the consistent problem. It's not the instrumentation, the Wabos are a tight outfit live and in studio. What taints a LOT of Sam's solo work is the fucking chorus. LOUD, that stupid chant in 24365, the 'roll roll roll' chorals in I'm on a Roll...all these are examples of songs that could've been better without the cheeseball marching band sing-songy repeats. Same holds true for most if not all of LIU.

Note to Sam: chorus needs to flow, not bump n' grind against the rest of the composition.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

09.02.14 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think we need to cut Sammy some slack on this one. Honestly, the guy doesn't need singing and song writing advice from people on this board who have never written or published a song. To say that he sounds like he is singing louder or on top of the music so he can be heard is a fair critique, but to say the chours doesn't flow is rediculous. He wrote it, he sang it, he arranged it. He has been doing this for 40 years he knows what he is doing. You might not like it as much, but at least he is giving us something new.

I believe he wanted to get these songs out because once the "Chickenfoot" material comes out that is going to get a lot of attention and these songs would have been 2 years older so this is a nice Christmas present to the fans.

Again, any material from one of our idols is better than silence from others.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I think Sammy can expirement with songs and make it work. The title track works for me and he can stick to some old school sounding stuff like Loud and that works. I just think he missed on some of these. Like I said I love the guitar on 24365, but lyrically it doesn't work for me. The chorus sounds like they are calling out a play in football.

I liked where Sam was going with Open and when I first heard Loud it seemed he was making a more rock-n-roll album. That turned out to not be the case.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Nope, I'm not digging this album at all. Very disappointing. But, like someone else said, at least he's still putting stuff out there.
    Title cut and LOUD are the only songs I don't mind listening to. The music in Loud actually sounds like another song and I can't place it. Anyone else have that deja vu feeling. (It's kinda like when you listen to "Things've Changed" and you can't help but hear Seger's 'Night Moves')
    The heavy songs (Vertigo, Peephole)are like his heavier attempts in the past, and they just don't work for me.
    I'm on a Roll we already knew was kinda stupid.
    I like all of his previous albums better than this--in other words, this is his worst album.

I remember when VHIII came out and one of Sammy's "people" brought him the CD and when he listened to it, he said he was rolling on the floor laughing. Well now I can picture Ed and Al rolling on the floor laughing at this album--especially the Beastie's cover.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1; 5150
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire; Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sammy's New Album

Was waiting to post until I gave CUF a few days listen.

I have been a Sammy fan since 1983, but this album is horrible. I appreciate the effort, but truth be told, we are fortunate to get 1 or 2 decent songs out of his last 3 albums. Most are filler and some are just awful.

Fight For Your Right and When The Sun Don't Shine are the worst. He played them both at his 2 shows in St Louis and I pray they do not become staples in future setlists.

IMHO Loud is the only decent song that is growing on me.

Sammy is still great live...........but his days of writing/putting together great songs like Dreams, Eagles Fly, The Love, etc are probably behind him.

I'll just enjoy the stuff already out and look forward to his live performances down the road.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    I agree the album was a letdown, and I was really looking forward to a new direction - or a return to some old reliable directions after the Livin' It Up debacle. Definitely an eclectic mix of tones and composition choice, I'll give CUF that much. It's better than LIU, but he had nowhere to go but up after that. I'm really hoping that he saved the primo stuff for Joe, Mike, and Chad.

I do like the title track update to Right Now. I thought at first it was an improvement on the original cut on Baghdad Metal. Now after a few listens, I may like the first version more, I dunno.

After multiple plays this week on the Bose, I'd have to say the album, while admirable in its experimental aspects, is on a whole not very cohesive. I think the analogy earlier mentioned might be most apt - throw it on a wall and see what sticks, seems to be the case, given the strange mix of differently toned tracks.

Despite the presence of Mike and the Cult boys, LOUD has proven to be less than what it was made out to be. The Beasties cover was a ridiculous choice - just because something's fun to play live doesn't mean it should be cut to studio. When the Sun Don't Shine - blecch. I'm on a Roll...some decent groove work from Vic, but the chorals kill it. 24365, another example of some very decent axe crunch and groove from the band, but the goddamn chorus spoils another coulda-been track. Peephole barely an average cut, not noteworthy. The live Dreams acoustic / Cabo acapella end track feels exactly like the add-on filler for BOBW's live tracks. I don't think Dreams works as an acoustic ballad, but to be fair, I never found Dreams a very good key/electric ballad either.

So it came down to a couple of standout tracks for me....I very much enjoy Psycho Vertigo, and I do like Switch on the Light a heckuva lot. But two songs outta ten ain't battin' 300.

Everyone always cites Sam's lyrical issues, but ya know what? It's not the verses that's the consistent problem. It's not the instrumentation, the Wabos are a tight outfit live and in studio. What taints a LOT of Sam's solo work is the fucking chorus. LOUD, that stupid chant in 24365, the 'roll roll roll' chorals in I'm on a Roll...all these are examples of songs that could've been better without the cheeseball marching band sing-songy repeats. Same holds true for most if not all of LIU.

Note to Sam: chorus needs to flow, not bump n' grind against the rest of the composition.
    Dead on, Squal.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by eman2 View Post
    I think we need to cut Sammy some slack on this one. Honestly, the guy doesn't need singing and song writing advice from people on this board who have never written or published a song. To say that he sounds like he is singing louder or on top of the music so he can be heard is a fair critique, but to say the chours doesn't flow is rediculous. He wrote it, he sang it, he arranged it. He has been doing this for 40 years he knows what he is doing. You might not like it as much, but at least he is giving us something new.

I believe he wanted to get these songs out because once the "Chickenfoot" material comes out that is going to get a lot of attention and these songs would have been 2 years older so this is a nice Christmas present to the fans.

Again, any material from one of our idols is better than silence from others.

Hey, I cut Sam all the slack in the world. I really do. If someone would have told me that Sammy would have put out 6 studio albums, a live CD, 3 DVDs with bonus footage, a greatest hits, and a couple of single dowloads, as well as tour his ass off just about every year, I would have told you there's no way. The guy is dedicated, talented, and prolific, and truly gets what it means to have a relationship with his fans.

For that Sam will always have my thanks and respect. He's the man. But since I own all that, I'm allowed to say that this last one sucks. Whatever, I've learned to expect that he will put out more product, and he is capable of bouncing back.