Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Baluchitherium Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.04
    Location
    Slightly North of Sanity
    Posts
    4,558
    Favorite VH Album

    Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

    Ditto
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    150
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default Who Cares Who Is In The Band?

    I've had this thought brewing in my head for awhile, and i'm going to try and verbalize it.

    I more and more consider myself a fan of "the music", not who is playing it.
    In the past year there have been so many discussions of bands, who the players are, who the players should be, and what they should be called.

    My opinion in response to that is, "what does it matter?"

    I understand people getting upset about the legacy of some bands, VH, Zep, GNR, Genesis, but, i'm not much into the who is playing, but the sound.
    If it's good music, it's good music.

    I look forward, as does the rest of the world, to Chinese Democracy. With the exception of the first single, i haven't heard any of it, and i won't until i slap into the CD player on Sunday.
    Is it GNR of old? No, but who gives a shit.? It is an album of new material from a collection of great players, and that's what it's all about.


    Was it VH without Mikey? No, probably not, But the guys who were onstage playing (never mind the Wolfie not playing shit) sounded great.

    Is it Zep without Plant, no, but the opportunity to hear talented players like Page, Jones and Bonham hammer out some stuff together is too good to resist.

    I don't care who is playing.

    And for you to say that you are not going to listen to a certain band, album, tour, whatever because you don't like whatever lineup is presented means you are a fan of a brand name, not a fan of the art, the music.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

    This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

  2. #2
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I am kind of in the same boat....

    Its just a freakin name, these days with the internet, its not like the are pulling a fast one and selling us something we thought was different.

    You either like the music or you dont, you know going in what you are getting. I could give a rats ass what name you stick on it.

    example, I love old queen, I love queen with Paul Rogers, different, both good. call them both Queen for all I care, doesnt cheapin the name or their history, I just find comments like that redicules.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  3. #3
    Baluchitherium Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.04
    Location
    Slightly North of Sanity
    Posts
    4,558
    Favorite VH Album

    Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

    Ditto
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    150
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    I haven't heard the new Queen, but that's a great example.
    Maybe it's good, Maybe not, but there's some talented people involved, so why not give it a try.

    I just had a conversation with a co worker who heard a cut from the new Journey on the radio.
    He said, I'm not buying that, it's not Journey without Steve Perry.
    I asked if he liked the song, and he said yes, but it's not Journey, so i'm not going to listen to anymore.

    It doesn't make sense to me.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

    This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Chemistry is everything...


    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  5. #5
    Baluchitherium Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.04
    Location
    Slightly North of Sanity
    Posts
    4,558
    Favorite VH Album

    Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

    Ditto
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    150
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    You crack me up.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

    This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Chemistry is everything...


    LOL! But to reiterate The Duke's point, The Beatles with Gary Busey would sound like shite, no?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  7. #7
    Banned!
    Join Date
    04.27.07
    Location
    At my house
    Posts
    7,262
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    I've kinda wondered this myself, personally, I don't care, good music is good music any way you look at it, but people don't adapt well to change most of the time, especially when it's your beloved band members that put out such great music for so many years. I can see both sides to this really.........

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing! Bullwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.07
    Location
    698 Sycamore Road, San Pueblo, CA
    Posts
    2,789
    Favorite VH Album

    Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

    I Think I Love You
    Last Online

    06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    I think every band has a point where, "(band) without (band member) is no longer the same band."

    And that point varies from fan to fan and from band to band.

    Some examples I can think of:

    AC/DC without Angus Young is no longer AC/DC.

    Pink Floyd without Roger Waters? Not much of a problem.

    Queen without Freddie? Risky, but turns out to be no problem. Especially since Freddie is no longer with us.

    Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant is not Led Zeppelin.



    The interesting one for me is Kiss. I wouldn't be surprised if, some day, Gene and Paul retired from touring and sent out lookalikes to take their place as well. Would it still be a Kiss concert? Maybe.







    Don't read this.

  9. #9
    Sinner's Swing! Wickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Big "D"
    Posts
    3,195
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Likes
    7
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Chemistry is everything...


    I think the Beatles would have sounded quite good with Buddy Holly
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

  10. #10
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.17.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    2,512
    Favorite VH Album

    FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Likes
    250
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    I think every band has a point where, "(band) without (band member) is no longer the same band."

    And that point varies from fan to fan and from band to band.

    Some examples I can think of:

    AC/DC without Angus Young is no longer AC/DC.

    Pink Floyd without Roger Waters? Not much of a problem.

    Queen without Freddie? Risky, but turns out to be no problem. Especially since Freddie is no longer with us.

    Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant is not Led Zeppelin.



    The interesting one for me is Kiss. I wouldn't be surprised if, some day, Gene and Paul retired from touring and sent out lookalikes to take their place as well. Would it still be a Kiss concert? Maybe.
    In the end a different mix of people MAY be able to make good music. Especially if the main songwriter or songwriters don't change. Even if they do.....it's possible good music may be made, but it will be very different. It's all about chemistry and songwriting. I skipped the 2007 VH tour because I was sick of Ed's crap and Mike was too essential to the VH concert experience in my opinion. That doesn't mean they couldn't recreate the songs faithfully in concert, but it wasn't the same without Mike as he's got a big stage presence and his vocals are very unique and also critical to the band's sound. Certain people make certain sounds....and if they're influence in the bands sound is big enough they can't be replaced without the sound changing. You can't just replace whoever you'd like and think it'll all be the same. So again it's about chemistry on stage as well as in the studio.

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.04
    Location
    Slightly North of Sanity
    Posts
    4,558
    Favorite VH Album

    Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

    Ditto
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    150
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    In the end a different mix of people MAY be able to make good music. Especially if the main songwriter or songwriters don't change. Even if they do.....it's possible good music may be made, but it will be very different. It's all about chemistry and songwriting. I skipped the 2007 VH tour because I was sick of Ed's crap and Mike was too essential to the VH concert experience in my opinion. That doesn't mean they couldn't recreate the songs faithfully in concert, but it wasn't the same without Mike as he's got a big stage presence and his vocals are very unique and also critical to the band's sound. Certain people make certain sounds....and if they're influence in the bands sound is big enough they can't be replaced without the sound changing. You can't just replace whoever you'd like and think it'll all be the same. So again it's about chemistry on stage as well as in the studio.
    I understand your point, but does that mean you won't won't be listening to anything else the brothers do in the future because you are mad at them?

    Not that they are going to do anything, but you know what i mean.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

    This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.17.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    2,512
    Favorite VH Album

    FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Likes
    250
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I understand your point, but does that mean you won't won't be listening to anything else the brothers do in the future because you are mad at them?

    Not that they are going to do anything, but you know what i mean.
    Well it wasn't a straight up protest as much as they weren't worth the money to me. I saw them in 2004 and didn't regret it one bit. New music is much much cheaper, but unlike previous new VH I'd probably wait to hear reviews first. And you're right....I'm not expecting it anyway.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Raoul...instead of paying exorbitant amounts of money to see the ACTUAL bands, to which you say, "the members don't matter". Why don't you just go see the Tribute Bands?

    A lot less money yet the music is spot on!


    Peace to ya my Canadian brother but I don't understand the logic of your original post.

    Mainly, because with Guns and Roses, Van Halen, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc, those are just NAMES.

    I can name my son, Led Zeppelin if I wanted to. Doesn't mean anything. They are words.


    It's the members of those bands that made those words legendary, mythical, and extraordinary.
    Last edited by MF5150; 11.21.08 at 12:09 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  14. #14
    Baluchitherium Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.10.04
    Location
    Slightly North of Sanity
    Posts
    4,558
    Favorite VH Album

    Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

    Ditto
    Last Online

    07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    150
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    I'm not really referring to live bands, but i get what you are saying, and there is something to be said for going out and listening to tribute bands, or local stuff, whatever.
    But i would rather go hear a guy try and play something of his own than listen to some guys copy note for note what another band has done.

    My original point was, and Chinese Democracy is the best current example, who cares what it's called, GnR, or Axl and friends, or whatever.
    People get sidetracked by the label, the brand name, and don't focus on the actual product.

    Inevitably with this new release, someone will say something like "It would be better if Slash and Duff" were on it.
    But that's irrelevant.
    The music must stand on it's own, and the listener must decide if they like it or not.
    If you are a fan of the original Gnr lineup, that doesn't mean you are cheating on an old lover by enjoying this new lineup.

    I've added a good deal of AC/DC to my Ipod recently. It's the music as a whole that i enjoy. The fact that over the course of that period and the different tunes i've added, there are two different singers and three different drummers doesn't make a bit of difference to whether or not i like a song.

    I'm aware that AC/DC isn't the best example to support this argument, but hopefully you see my point.

    The fact that Ed's a dick and Mike's a great guy is an entirely different argument than "Do you like the new VH song with Wolf on bass?".

    Every musician brings something different to the table. And that brings something different to the overall sound of a song.
    Last edited by Duke; 11.21.08 at 12:31 PM.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

    This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.17.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    2,512
    Favorite VH Album

    FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 07:16 PM
    Likes
    250
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I'm not really referring to live bands, but i get what you are saying, and there is something to be said for going out and listening to tribute bands, or local stuff, whatever.
    But i would rather go hear a guy try and play something of his own than listen to some guys copy note for note what another band has done.

    My original point was, and Chinese Democracy is the best current example, who cares what it's called, GnR, or Axl and friends, or whatever.
    People get sidetracked by the label, the brand name, and don't focus on the actual product.

    Inevitably with this new release, someone will say something like "It would be better if Slash and Duff" were on it.
    But that's irrelevant.
    The music must stand on it's own, and the listener must decide if they like it or not.
    If you are a fan of the original Gnr lineup, that doesn't mean you are cheating on an old lover by enjoying this new lineup.

    I've added a good deal of AC/DC to my Ipod recently. It's the music as a whole that i enjoy. The fact that over the course of that period and the different tunes i've added, there are two different singers and three different drummers doesn't make a bit of difference to whether or not i like a song.

    I'm aware that AC/DC isn't the best example to support this argument, but hopefully you see my point.

    The fact that Ed's a dick and Mike's a great guy is an entirely different argument than "Do you like the new VH song with Wolf on bass?".

    Every musician brings something different to the table. And that brings something different to the overall sound of a song.
    now this is something I can kind of agree with. People get caught up in labels. In a similar point people don't like it when a band deviates from an established sound. I for one have never cared about that. If it's good it's good no matter how different it is. That's why you get Sam vs. Dave arguments and people who only like Dave....well if you gave Sam a try you'd find something in there you liked, but instead you wish to be closed minded and reject the whole thing even though the music is coming from the same person.

    Metallica has a divide between old metallica and more recent metallica. I like it all (except St. Anger). The Loads were different for sure, but there's a lot of good songs and good musicianship on those albums. Genesis had more pop hits later on....but they were very good pop hits and they didn't account for the whole albums anyway. The musicianship was still top notch even though the music was different than some of their previous output. It was organic and not forced as they wrote songs by then only by way of jamming. It was whatever came out of them at the time. I've never not allowed a band to change any way they feel the need to. I always judge music on whether I can get into it or not after hearing it....no preconceived judgements go into it. If I don't like it after giving it a chance then so be it.. but I always give something many many listens before deciding I just don't like it. I listened to St. Anger countless times. I know every song on there front to back. But I don't think it's very good overall.

    A lot of times I do go into a new cd with expectations based on previous output....and a lot of times those expectations get in the way and I'll be disappointed with the album. But then usually once I've heard it and thus gotten rid of the expectations I can go back and listen to it with fresh ears and then really start to appreciate it for what it is instead of what I hoped it would be. It's their creation not mine after all.
    Last edited by OnTheInside1985; 11.21.08 at 12:57 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Who Really Cares?
    By 9on10scale in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 12.13.06, 10:22 AM
  2. For anyone who cares
    By mhnyr2000 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12.18.02, 08:26 PM
  3. VAL'S GOT A NEW MAN...WHO CARES?
    By dropdeadlegs in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.23.02, 04:37 PM
  4. Who Cares? I do!
    By Cabo Gary in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02.14.01, 01:24 PM
  5. Does anyone really think VH cares about...........
    By Nature Boy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09.29.00, 09:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •