VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Moving to Canada ?

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...60341/-1/rss11

For Jeb Assaf, Barack Obama's election win and America's overwhelming vote for "change" has forced him to seriously consider a long-feared change of his own: moving to Canada.

As a John McCain supporter, Assaf says he is fed up with the direction of U.S. politics. He feels his only real option is to make the move north that so many Americans joke about when things don't go their way.

"I am so disappointed that my fellow citizens have looked past the lack of (President-elect Obama's) relevant experience and poor judgment and have treated something so important and sacred like it was American Idol," said Assaf, 26, of Brooklyn, N.Y. "At least I know what I am getting with (Canada's Conservative Prime Minister) Stephen Harper."

In the days following the election, Canada's Citizenship and Immigration's Web site traffic went to the high end of its normal range, said spokeswoman Karen Shadd. The site, which averages 13,000 to 19,000 hits from U.S. visitors, logged just under 19,000 on Nov. 5.

While it's too early to tell if any recent interest will translate into a significant increase in immigration, Canadian lawyers say there was a significant flood of Americans after President Bush's 2004 re-election, when Web traffic at Canada's immigration site hit a record high of 150,000 visits in a day from Americans.

In fact, any influx of Americans disgruntled with Obama might be countered by a return migration of those who left during the Bush years.

"After the Bush re-election, we saw Americans wanting to immigrate here who were driven by politics. People would call me and say, 'I can't live here any more,' " said Linda Mark, an immigration lawyer in Vancouver, British Columbia. "Before the past six years, Americans barely made up our clientele. In the last several years, they've become the second most important clientele base for us."

About 11,000 Americans immigrated to Canada in 2006, the last figure Canada's immigration department has, up from about 6,000 in 2003. Because it can take years to finish the immigration process, experts said the latest numbers reflect moves initiated after Bush's re-election.

One of those immigrants was Shirley Kelley, 64, a retiree who left Seattle, Wash., after Bush's win to seek what she calls a safe haven in Canada's beautiful coastal region of Vancouver, British Columbia.

"I was angry, I was ashamed of being an American. I was afraid of where my country was heading and I just had to get out so I packed up my yellow lab and headed North," she said.

Viewing Canada as a place of refuge started during the Vietnam War, when many young men fled to Canada to escape the military draft. Following the end of the war, emigration of native-born Americans to Canada was motivated more by vocational or lifestyle reasons, until the 2004 election led some Bush opponents to head north.

This time around is a little different. For the first time in years, Canada has had a successive Conservative minority government, which means that the government must rely on opposition support to pass budgets and legislation. It's a departure from Canada's left-leaning governing tradition, since the Liberal party has formed the government for most of Canada's 141-year history.

And while Canada has not become starkly conservative by any means, the country's somewhat transformed political landscape does provide a slight political refuge for Republican Americans.

"What scares me about Obama is Democrats having control over both Houses and the Senate, and being able to ram through legislation. Democrats controlling the country is not good. Obama's policies are bad for the country," said Christopher Buck, 28, a recent law school graduate from New Hampshire, who is considering a move to Montreal as a result of the election results.

"There's a lot to like about Canada," he said.

There are more than a dozen Facebook groups of people threatening to move to Canada, with names like the group Assef founded, "If Obama Somehow Wins, I'm moving to Canada." Assef, a recent law school graduate, has been researching immigration requirements and how to get licensed as an attorney in Ontario.

Brian K. Ray, an associate professor of geography at the University of Ottawa in Ontario, moved back to the province from Washington, D.C., with his American-born partner following Bush's re-election in 2004.

"You need to have a pretty strong motivation to move based on political values. It's a big move to make to say, 'I'm going to pack up my life and move elsewhere because I'm not happy with the government in power,' " he said.

The couple have now mused about moving back since Obama's election. His partner Phil has been to the states for meetings and says there's "this buzz in the air."

"Something new and dynamic is happening and that's quite seductive. It's hard to be down there and not to want to be part of that excitement and movement," said Ray.

Despite "absolutely loving" Canada and its "gentle, peaceful ways," Kelley said that its the first time since 2004 she's thinking about heading back to the United States.

"I feel like I have a new lease on life. Obama is hope. He's my prayers answered," she said. "He's brought back my faith in the U.S."

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Dont forget to write, Jeb. Bye.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dunno. If the McCain/Palin sham of a ticket had, er, won, I would
    have had serious misgivings on returning in at least 4 years, if ever.
    Not that I'm in any hurry to return now even though I personally find
    the 'O' win encouraging. Funny thing, perspective.

I could never forget to write you, Scum.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Take off, eh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

He just wants a republican/conservative leader. Harper was just a Bush puppet, so lord knows what he'll attempt now. This country is so torn and the opposition leaders have been so poor that Harper can't get more than a minority government, people voted him back in because they don't have any options.
    And if anything, Barack Obama winning is more of a reason to immigrate to the states rather than leave. To each their own, but leaving what you perceive to be fucked up politics doesn't do you any good when you don't know shit about the other country's politics. He doesn't know what he's getting with Harper, he just thinks he does.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

I like Canada in the summer...Toronto has some hot chicks!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

We don't accept people with names like Jeb,Tex,Red...They're all fucked up hicks....

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

What are the voting laws up there? Can immigrants vote? Could you imagine someplace where they could and enough people from another country moving there to have an effect on elections different from what the native people would've chosen?

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Why are they all looking north...Why not head to Mexico instead of Canada...?

BWAAAHAAA

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    Dont forget to write, Jeb. Bye.
    No kidding. Don't let the door hit you on the way out!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Leave because Barack is inexperienced? Yet he was fully prepared to elect a ticket into the White House where at any moment could have sworn in a, sorry Bill Maher but I gotta use this one, stewardess as the President of the United States of America.

Brainwashed anybody?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

In one thread here I jokingly asked what countries would be good to go to if the election went the other way, and another poster told me "not to let the screen door hit me in the ass" another took the time to look up immigration laws for me!

It reminded me of a recent local election I was involved in that involved our city wanting to take a perfectly lovely waterfront public park and turn it into a conference center/hotel/water park....I was told to just "get out of town" if I didn't like what the city wanted to do...I thought that was what referendums where for. But people were really ugly and personally attacked everyone whenever the saw a chance to smear someone.

Upshot is ...My house is for sale and I have left that town, for the most part because I cannot support where that city is going...I moved out and into another house that I own outside of city limits..and I have pulled back on the majority of the charity work that I have done in that city

I wonder how much the ugliness of this presidential campaign...not just on the part of the candidates attacking each other, but supporters personally attacking each other similarly affected some of these people and their desire to leave the country..(reference some of the threads here and in any newpaper if you have a doubt)

I may leave my city because it is run by greedy boneheads who are under the spell of unscrupulous developers, but I could never leave this country...as much as I love Canada, America is still the greatest country on earth.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    ...as much as I love Canada, America is still the greatest country on earth.
    I'm sure you can respect my disagreement there, but then again, everyone thinks their own country is the greatest. I'll actually be headed to the states for the first time since 2005 in a few months. I'm looking forward to it as always.

Borders sure are a ridiculous notion when you really think about it, a very sad reality given how much bull-shit gets caused by nationalism.

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Leave because Barack is inexperienced? Yet he was fully prepared to elect a ticket into the White House where at any moment could have sworn in a, sorry Bill Maher but I gotta use this one, stewardess as the President of the United States of America.

Brainwashed anybody?
    It sounds like you both are based on that.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Funny how so many people are making fun of the Palin supporters as being brainwashed, but then they voted for Obama, who has less political experience than Palin. That was the biggest brainwashing in American history right there.

As for going to Canada? Fuck that! I'm staying right here to keep an eye on this clown. As a natural born American, that's my job. If the ship goes down, I'm going down with it, but I'm going to do everything possible to make sure that it doesn't.

Only if I start relying on that assclown, Bill Maher, for my political opinions, would I ever consider moving to Canada.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)