Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default 2008 Linkers Christmas/Holiday Gift Exchange

It's that time again Linkers! For the past few years the Links has had a gift exchange around Christmas time.

The rules are as follows:

$20 max

Gift is Van Halen related

December 14 is the deadline to submit your name

Names will be drawn out of a hat to match everyone up. The matches will be posted after the deadline. Those matched up will contact each other through PM to exchange addresses.

PM either TP or myself and we will add you to the list!

Thanks to Scotty, fastdodge, and Sixstring who have organized in the past. Not trying to take this over guys, just trying to get it started before time gets away from us. If you guys want to take the wheel on this, its all yours. Only trying to help.
    Last edited by SNIC; 11.14.08 at 07:54 PM.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Sweet! I was just thinking about this yesterday. Count me in!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Sweet! I was just thinking about this yesterday. Count me in!

Got your PM and got you on the list!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

sounds cool
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

All I can say is that I have done this for the past two years and it has been cool as hell. Highly recommended from this linker!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

We have 4 people signed up already! As stated, this has been a blast in the past. Some people have even made some pretty cool homemade VH stuff to give as gifts.

The more the merrier!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

This year I AM going to do it! I still owe Smithjc a gift from 2 years ago...I haven't forgotten Smith

I am IN
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    I still owe Smithjc a gift from 2 years ago...I haven't forgotten Smith

I am IN
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement for whomever pulls your name out of the hat, now is it?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement for whomever pulls your name out of the hat, now is it?
    reminded me of a cousin of mine who used to break up with whatever girlfriend he had just after Thanksgiving and started fueding with family...then days before Christmas, he mends fences..... at the holiday he tells everyone how sorry he is that he hasn't shopped for them, but seeing as he wasn't even sure he'd be invited........

not that you would do that EvH...your wording just reminded me of him...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    reminded me of a cousin of mine who used to break up with whatever girlfriend he had just after Thanksgiving and started fueding with family...then days before Christmas, he mends fences..... at the holiday he tells everyone how sorry he is that he hasn't shopped for them, but seeing as he wasn't even sure he'd be invited........
    It's just galling. It's one thing to stiff a person who on a limited budget managed to purchase and send off a gift with only the best intentions and the hope of fair play, it's quite another to do nothing about it for two years, then remind everyone of it and pledge to join again.

And I offer no apology for saying so. There is no getting around it, it's just wrong-headed, not to mention callous and insulting. And anyone else that has been screwed on one of these gift exchange deals elsewhere knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.16.08 at 04:18 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    ....And anyone else that has been screwed on one of these gift exchange deals elsewhere knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    Yeah, I got the shaft a few years ago on a deal like this.

Not sure how it worked here on the Links, but at an automotive based forum I frequent, the names were drawn two at a time and each of those members would exchange gifts. Close to the same rules ($25 max) and I bought and sent mine. Christmas came and went and nothing. Not that I was surprised that much as 1/5 of those who participated didn't send theirs either. It kind of soured me on the whole deal.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    ...Not that I was surprised that much as 1/5 of those who participated didn't send theirs either. It kind of soured me on the whole deal.
    And that is the point. By being lazy or simply thoughtless, people that fail to live up to their end of the deal screw not only one person, yet everyone else that decides they will no longer be a part of these things because of the insouciance. It just plain sucks because in theory at least, these exchanges are quite a nice idea.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

This year I AM going to do it! I still owe Smithjc a gift from 2 years ago...I haven't forgotten Smith

I am IN
    Dude....seriously? You never followed through?
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I am IN

Shouldn't you probably make right with smithjc before you join in again this year?

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've done this a few years, and in fact still regularly look at KT's awesome home made present, it's in my office at work.

But I'm passing this year - I struggled to get Six his gift last year, although I did finally make good, and just don't want to have it be a hassle. This is the busiest time of year for me by far professionally, just not up to it.

I hope everyone does this right - it is a lot of fun.