Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Minwax Satin Wipe On Poly Guitar Finished!

Ok, for those of you who were following the previous "How to do a True-Oil Finish" thread, you already know that I decided to go with Minwax Satin wipe on poly for this guitar's finish instead. There was some controversy as to how well the finish would go on and more importantly, how it would affect the guitar's sound and resonance.
    Well, I finished the guitar and have been constantly testing it out for a little over a week, so here are my findings:

Minwax Satin Wipe on Poly is INCREDIBLY easy to work with. It is just the right consistency and goes on even and smooth with a cotton rag. Follow the instructions on the bottle and you will be able to do a really nice finish.

I used Minwax water based stain under the finish, which also produced just the result I was looking for as to color. It is also very easy to use. The gripe about it that I can think of is that you have to buy a quart of it to get them to mix a color for you that is not pre-mixed and stocked in store, so you will have a TON left over. This is not a problem for me, as I will most likely use it again on future guitars, but for a one time project, an entire quart will probably cover more like 50-100 guitars!

I did 3 coats of the wipe on poly, and that was it. It really does fully cure in 24 hours, just as stated on the bottle. Actually, it hardly even smelled after 24 hours of dry time. The finish is NOT thick and smooth. You may be able to get it smooth with more coats, and lots of steel wooling in between coats, but I was going for a very natural look, so it was perfect for me. I wanted to be able to still feel the wood grain slightly thru the finish, and not have a thick glassy coat of nitro or whatever on it, and that is just what this finish did.

Although this guitar has not been gigged with yet and 'beat up', the finish has be nicked in a few places and has held up very well. No chipping or flaking at all. I'll have to get this thing back in a year from my client and see how well it holds up over time.

The satin finish has nearly NO shine at all (which is, again, what I wanted, but if you want a glossy finish DO NOT USE THE SATIN version of wipe on poly.) You have to have light hitting it at just the right spot, and then you will see some sheen.

Now to the important stuff. The guitar is a 'select' 2 piece Alder body, with a maple neck and rosewood fingerboard, which is similar to a lot of older strat wood configurations. It has GFS Crunchy PAT humbuckers and a standard LP wiring/control configuration. The overall tone of the guitar is very 'vintage.' It sounds much more like an old LP with newer and hotter pickups than anything else. However, it has more of a typical mid-rangy Alder tone (I know this is all vague, but tone is hard to put to words) than a Mahogany LP.

The thing that surprised me the most is that the whole guitar resonates extremely well. I have some VERY high end LP copies, and have played a friends' Gibson 59' reissue, and the body on this guitar resonates quite a bit more, even without having a set neck. Especially when playing on the lowest 3 stings, you can feel the guitar's body vibrating all over as the strings ring out, and the resonating doesn't die out until the strings completely do. The sustain on this guitar is really, really good, and I can even play many harmonics on it that I can usually only play on my Tone Zone equipped guitars. If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask!

There is the guitar next to the rather-crappy-looking-in-comparison first guitar I ever made.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that is a unique look. Very consistant.
    Not a bad option.
    Very nicely done Brutha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me ask how this finish compares to a Fender satin poly finish (which I really like)?

Thanks
    Chris

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    Let me ask how this finish compares to a Fender satin poly finish (which I really like)?

Thanks
    Chris
    Could you give me some Fender models that have the finish you are talking about? Then next time I'm at guitar center or wherever I'll check and see how the finish compares.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Could you give me some Fender models that have the finish you are talking about? Then next time I'm at guitar center or wherever I'll check and see how the finish compares.
    I think the Clapton model. The Powerhouse or Deluxe Power models (anything I think that has a deluxe neck on it that is MIM). These necks say 'deluxe series' on the very tip of the headstock.

Thanks
    Chris