Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: What purchase has inspired song writing?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • a new guitar

2 13.33%
  • a new keyboard

2 13.33%
  • something else (please specify)

1 6.67%
  • Nothing- I just hear the tune in my head

10 66.67%
    Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default A poll for the songwriters

This is STILL a guitar-related question; however, some of us play more than just guitar, some of us write songs on guitar, and some of us write songs by a tune that gets trapped in the brain.

So here goes: Has a particular instrument purchase inspired your song writing? I, for one have made no less than ten new purchases in this recession-economy (I am the "best/favourite" customer in several stores), and have found that some purchases inspire a new song merely by getting familiar with the instrument.

For example, I bought a Korg Kaossilator. I wrote a new song on it two days after I bought it. It has also been indispensible for song writing. Yes, I wrote electronica with the first song, but I happen to enjoy many, many genres of music. But the easy to use drum machine function makes for a nice click track for my rock music, as well. The drum machine function has been the foundation for the song's rhythm in some cases.

My "Jamie" guitar has helped get me out of my funk with writing rock music, as well as helped me finish several songs. In short, there is magic in that factory second guitar. She is a one-in-a-million find.

A few of my other purchases did NOT inspire me, nor did they have any bearing on whether or not I was in/out of writer's block. One was merely a tool, and two were just cool guitars. One did make my life a bit easier in song writing, it just did not give me any inspiration.

So, what purchase has inspired you?
    Last edited by bunnyman; 11.06.08 at 04:50 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Personally, I just hear it, but some of my friends get stoked when they buy a new axe or get to play a new axe.

My latest inspiration? A concept album entitled Gilroy Was Here. It's basically Styx's Kilroy Was Here but all the names are changed. And I'm gonna tune a half-step up, drums included.

When I was little I used to think, "Why don't bands just re-release hit songs with new, updated lyrics? It was a hit the first time...why couldn't 'Jump 2' be a smash the next year?" That's what I figured I'd do here.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Since purchasing my SG, I've been on a riff writing frenzy. It's funny, it's just one of those guitars that inspires. I can't explain why this one over others, but it has become my official song writing guitar. It's so easy to play all up and down the neck, so I guess that's a huge factor. Also the versatility in it's sound. You know how some guitars sound pretty much the same in different amps? Well this one sounds like a different guitar on various amps.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The summer before my senior year of high school I put all my saved pennies into an Ensoniq SD-1 music production synthesizer. It was typical early-90s technology in that it had a 24-track sequencer and thousands of synthesized instruments. For the two years after I purchased that keyboard I used it (often along with a cassette 4-track) as my primary tool for writing and demo-ing original sings, as I could sequence all of the instruments and arrange and mix them accordingly. I credit that purchase as being one of the better I ever made for helping me learn songwriting and arranging.

These days songwriting is mostly done on the guitar, and usually I'm just chasing an idea that starts in my head.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    The summer before my senior year of high school I put all my saved pennies into an Ensoniq SD-1 music production synthesizer. It was typical early-90s technology in that it had a 24-track sequencer and thousands of synthesized instruments. For the two years after I purchased that keyboard I used it (often along with a cassette 4-track) as my primary tool for writing and demo-ing original sings, as I could sequence all of the instruments and arrange and mix them accordingly. I credit that purchase as being one of the better I ever made for helping me learn songwriting and arranging.

These days songwriting is mostly done on the guitar, and usually I'm just chasing an idea that starts in my head.
    You're a tune chaser. You've been chasing tunes all your life!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

kinda how it works for me:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i usually record practices at home, so when im noodling away i may come accross something interesting that sparks an idea and then i just run with it.
    i have to say the purchase of a line6 toneport has been a major factor recently for me, because i can practice late at night without waking anyone and im usually more creative when im tired, plus i can play with more tones with that piece of gear. then its just a case of either playing or programing a drum track, keys and unusually i use a regular guitar for the bass parts along with a digitech whammy, i have this thing at the moment where i double all the bass parts 1octave and then 2 octaves lower, i dunno where the hell it came from but it seems to be going somewhere!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i usually record practices at home, so when im noodling away i may come accross something interesting that sparks an idea and then i just run with it.
    i have to say the purchase of a line6 toneport has been a major factor recently for me, because i can practice late at night without waking anyone and im usually more creative when im tired, plus i can play with more tones with that piece of gear. then its just a case of either playing or programing a drum track, keys and unusually i use a regular guitar for the bass parts along with a digitech whammy, i have this thing at the moment where i double all the bass parts 1octave and then 2 octaves lower, i dunno where the hell it came from but it seems to be going somewhere!
    As long as you press the "record" button, it's all good!!! So many times, I would create things whilst tired and forget to record them. Then they were lost forever...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!