Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7 & F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

at the moment House of Pain
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 01:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

first act VA888 75watt 1x12 amp

Any one tried this amp out? I'm thinking about purchasing one price is right but does it sound good? Thanks

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Save your money. First Act used to make some decent entry level stuff, but it speaks volumes when you can find a lot of their offerings at Wal-Mart.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I remember reading someplace that First Act had plans for an upscale, 3-4 channel amp that reproduced some classic amp sounds from the 1960's. At the time, I took it with a grain of salt while remembering the shoddy quality of the items offered for sale in the department store that I worked for.

I was further confused about the company when Slash showed up on a Volkswagen commercial playing a First Act guitar. Apparently, if you bought the car you got the guitar for free.

Volkswagen/First Act - Slash Ad (:30)

I dunno what to tell you, other than to do a few searches on the company and the model, perhaps at Harmony Central or other sites devoted to reviewing musical products.

Good luck to you.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.24.08 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please excuse the length of this. It's necessary to have some idea of what these amps are. The short answer, though, is that I haven't yet heard one (but it's coming) but strongly suspect they're very good. Read on if you want to know more about it...

I assume you mean the VA881. That's the one that matches the specs you quoted. To my knowledge, they only made the VA850, VA851, VA881, and the VA882. Even then, the VA882 was announced but I never saw it available anywhere, including the First Act store, so it may have never been manufactured.

First Act tried to gain some respectability a couple of years ago by buying the V-Stack pedal technology and hiring it's designer. These pedals are very nice. The Classic, of which I have two, does a very nice job of "modeling" a Marshall. It's important to note that these are not digital modelers and, therefore, do not suffer from the sonic artifacts associated with them. They are entirely analog and have a nice fat sound. On the flip side, there are no tubes...in case that's important to you. The BHM (Brian May...as in Queen) is a Vox model. The Tweedy is a Fender model. All of them, additionally, feature a treble booster the use which is very, very common among pros.

There are real-world user reviews of the three V-Stack models here:
    Classic: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...Simulator/10/1
    BHM: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...M+Edition/10/1
    Tweedy: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ck/Tweedy/10/1

The V-Stack technology is what was in the guitar featured in the Slash/Volkswagen commercial. It was built into the guitar. There was nothing unusual about the sound system in the car. An MP3 player would probably sound perfectly normal plugged into that input.

Back to the VA881: it's a four channel amp. One channel is Fender-ish. One channel is Vox-ish. One channel is Marshall-ish. The last is Boutique-ish. Obviously, the first three are variations on the three V-Stack pedals. The fourth is a new design, likely from the same guy who designed the V-Stack pedals...he helped design these amps.

It also has three effects: Reverb, Delay, and Tremelo. There's an effects loop, an additional speaker out, a high-impedance line out, and a low-impedance line out. The line outs are designed to go straight to the board and sound like the amp.

These specs are specific to the VA881. The other models are different.

There's a nice review from Guitar World posted in two parts here:
    http://www.firstact.com/upload/pdfs/...mpreview01.pdf
    http://www.firstact.com/upload/pdfs/...mpreview02.pdf

I know all of this, as I'd been looking at them for a couple of years. But First Act couldn't get past their reputation and get them into music stores. And the price, over $800, just wasn't what Wally World wanted. They cleared them out just recently. I missed the clearance, but picked one up on Ebay. It hasn't arrived yet. Once it does, if you like, I'll put up some thoughts about it here.