Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Mass. voters OK decriminalization of marijuana

Massachusetts voters approved a ballot initiative to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana, making getting caught with less than an ounce of pot punishable by a civil fine of $100. The change in the law means someone found carrying as many as dozens of marijuana cigarettes will no longer be reported to the state’s criminal history board.

“The people were ahead of the politicians on this issue; they recognize and want a more sensible approach to our marijuana policy,” said Whitney Taylor, chairwoman of the Committee for Sensible Marijuana Policy, which campaigned for the ballot initiative. “They want to focus our limited law enforcement resources on serious and violent crimes. They recognize under the new law that the punishment will fit the offense.”

The proposition will become law 30 days after it’s reported to the Governor’s Council, which usually meets in late November or early December. But the Legislature could amend or repeal the new law, as they've done with some prior laws passed by the voters, said Emily LaGrassa, a spokeswoman for Attorney General Martha Coakley. The Associated Press called the outcome at about 9:20 p.m.

The proposition will require those younger than age 18 to complete a drug awareness program and community service. The fine would increase to as much as $1,000 for those who fail to complete the program.

Proponents of the initiative, who spent about $1 million promoting it, argued the change in the law would maintain the state's existing penalties for growing, trafficking, or driving under the influence of marijuana, while ensuring that those caught with less than an ounce of pot would avoid the taint of a criminal record. They also argued it would save the state millions of law enforcement dollars and match similar marijuana possession laws in 12 states, all of which have adopted some form of decriminalization.

The opponents, who included the governor, attorney general, and district attorneys around the state, argued that decriminalizing marijuana possession would promote drug use and benefit drug dealers at a time when they say marijuana has become more potent. They warned it would increase violence on the streets and safety hazards in the workplace, and cause the number of car crashes to rise as more youths drive under the influence.

The opponents said that most of those charged with marijuana possession are arrested for other reasons, such as driving under the influence or possessing a more potent drug like crack cocaine. They also said most people arrested for marijuana possession have their records cleared within six months.

=======================

How many joints are in an ounce of marijuana?

The proponents say their initiative legalizes "small amounts" of marijuana. The "small amount" they propose to legalize for individuals 21 and older is one ounce. So how many marijuana cigarettes are there in one ounce of weed? Thirty to 120 marijuana cigarettes per ounce depending on the potency of the marijuana.

The excerpt below is from the book Economics of Cannabis Legalization, written by Dale Gieringer, Ph.D., Coordinator, California NORML (National Organization for the Reformation of Marijuana Laws)

“We will define a standard dose of THC to be that contained in the government's own marijuana joints, which NIDA supplies to researchers and selected human subjects. These consist of low-quality 2.5% - 3% potency leaf rolled into cigarette-sized joints of 0.9 grams, yielding a 25 milligram dose of THC. The same dose can be had in a slender one-third or one-quarter gram joint of 10 - 12% sinsemilla. A typical joint has been estimated to weigh about 0.4 grams. Taking this as a standard, we will define a "standard joint" to be 0.4 grams of average-quality 6% buds. Thus an ounce of "standard pot" equals 60 joints, an ounce of 12% sinsemilla 120, and an ounce of government pot only 30 joints.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

It's about time.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I love them all!!!!
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This will never happen here in Tennessee!! I love how they say violence will increase. I've never seen this EVER!! But I have seen this a lot with alcohol. But thats a whole diffrent thread! I just hope it stands and the don't shot it down!!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by msr316 View Post
    This will never happen here in Tennessee!! I love how they say violence will increase. I've never seen this EVER!! But I have seen this a lot with alcohol. But thats a whole diffrent thread! I just hope it stands and the don't shot it down!!
    Way to go, MASS!! I agree completely with the above...how many stoners have you ever seen picking a bar-fight? All they care about is getting into that bag of Doritos (not based on personal experience, of course..I would NEVER do something the government says I shouldnt )
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Smoking one right now, and well it's been de-unlegalized over here so yay.
    Last edited by WinterlessIceness; 11.05.08 at 03:39 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by msr316 View Post
    Violence will increase.
    Indeed.
    Cancer patients using marijuana for comfort and to increase their appetite have always been known as a surly bunch.

And just plain old stoners would run right down and join that alcohol infused act of violence, but they can't find their shoes.
    Or pants now that I look around.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Every drug should be legal and Taxed . This would put organized crime and gangs out of existance. Then with the proceeds of tax money gov can cut all the rest of the bullshit taxes and the economy skyrockets. The War on Drugs is a trillion dollar fiasco. If your going to be a drugie laws arent going to stop you. Sad but true.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

How many joints are in an ounce of marijuana?
    Bob Bitchin: Two.
    "Lets Make A Dope Deal" Host: Two?
    Bob Bitchin: Yeah man, I roll big joints.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As a medical cannabis patient, this is great news!

As a casual recreational smoker, this is really great news!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    And just plain old stoners would run right down and join that alcohol infused act of violence, but they can't find their shoes.
    Or pants now that I look around.
    Hahahahaha
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Bob Bitchin: Two.
    "Lets Make A Dope Deal" Host: Two?
    Bob Bitchin: Yeah man, I roll big joints.

I remember vividly, Kenny struggling to glue together 5 or 6 Zig-Zags trying to make a spliff like we had seen in a Bob Marley picture or something....
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just don't get why weed is illegal and alcohol isn't. You can drink yourself to death in one night. You can't smoke yourself to death. You can smoke yourself to the point of where all your tostitos and salsa are gone. Honestly, under the influence of weed, you're much less likely to do the ridiculous stuff you do after 10 shots of jack and a few beers.

A study just came out that people that have smoked weed every day of their lives are in no increased risk of lung cancer or any of those tobacco-related diseases.

My dad's always sayin "you don't know where that stuff is comin from", and I guess he's right. But if it was legal, that excuse wouldn't work... it'd be like saying "Don't drink beer! You don't know what kind of stuff they put in that!"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    I just don't get why weed is illegal and alcohol isn't. You can drink yourself to death in one night. You can't smoke yourself to death. You can smoke yourself to the point of where all your tostitos and salsa are gone. Honestly, under the influence of weed, you're much less likely to do the ridiculous stuff you do after 10 shots of jack and a few beers."
    Saw this thing on TV once that said one main reason weed was made illegal was because it was being brought into the country by Mexican immigrants back in the early 20th century. The immigrants were not looked favorably upon, therefore the weed became almost a cultural/racial issue.

So in essence, weed is a victim of racism
    Last edited by HippieLettuce; 11.08.08 at 04:41 PM.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    I just don't get why weed is illegal and alcohol isn't. You can drink yourself to death in one night. You can't smoke yourself to death. You can smoke yourself to the point of where all your tostitos and salsa are gone. Honestly, under the influence of weed, you're much less likely to do the ridiculous stuff you do after 10 shots of jack and a few beers.

A study just came out that people that have smoked weed every day of their lives are in no increased risk of lung cancer or any of those tobacco-related diseases.

My dad's always sayin "you don't know where that stuff is comin from", and I guess he's right. But if it was legal, that excuse wouldn't work... it'd be like saying "Don't drink beer! You don't know what kind of stuff they put in that!"
    I have to agree with most of this post except I read a study that said smoking a joint is equal to 20 cigarettes because you deeply inhale and hold the smoke in your lungs.

Regardless, I think marijuana should be decriminalized. Imagine the tax money the government could make and the money saved if they stop trying to prosecute dealers and users.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well here in God Country anything under 8 ounces is misdemeanor $150 and some change. It should be legalized but as long as the politicians, dealers, and preachers make money off of it being a crime it won’t be legal any time soon. Also I live in a dry county and have to drive in to Louisville for a beer but not much holds up to the Kentucky Funk.