Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Default Gotta Vent

I really dont this to come off the wrong way, but I would like to vent for a minute if I may.
    I started working for a lumber company in '99, just out of high school. I was happy, and over the following few years, worked my way up to driver. I loved it, the people I worked with were like my second family. In 2003, hard times fell upon the company, and they filed for bankruptcy. We were bought out by a roofing supply company, saving a dozen or so northeastern-region stores.
    Late 2007. Our management, in typical style, says nothing to anyone. All of the sudden, we have a meeting. They want to take three of our stores, and make a central distributing point, [for lumber,] 45 miles west of where I am. The others will stay open simply operating under our parent company, selling their product. Now, at the store I worked at, there were only two tractor-trailer drivers, myself and one other guy, who happened to live closer to this distribution plant. He was offered to go there. He refused, why, I don't know. (We didn't have an inkling of what was to come.)
    So, I took it. Commuting 45 minutes to work, what used to be 15, and spending $15.00 a week in tolls. No reimbursement. The only reason I took it is because I wanted to continue working with lumber. I have no interest or qualifications for running a crane truck, which would have been my fate, had I chosen to stay.
    Fast forward to August 2008, I move to another county, 15 minutes closer to work, and without the tolls. My wife quits her job to move for my 'transfer.'
    It was not worth a 90 minute drive for her.
    Another meeting happens, this time, our parent company wants out. They have no interest or knowledge in lumber anymore (the latter, they admitted immediately upon aquiring us.) Our buildings, trucks, and 20 some odd acres of land go up for sale. If no one buys us, by August 31st, it's game over. Serveral strong prospective buyers tour our yard, but its too dilapidated, needing several millions in repairs. We were told to keep our confidence high, a good chance that another lumber company had a strong interest in us. August 31st came and went. Not a word. Two weeks later, September 10th, the phone rings. Deal didn't go through. In the next 4 hours, 60% of our entire staff was out on the street. The rest of us were kept on for the clean up crew. I lost my job in mid-October. HOWEVER, the strongest prospect for buying our place managed to get everything but the land. There's some deal worked out that they bought our customers and sorted out the employees they wanted. They bought land across the street, and are opening a distribution center much like the one we had.
    ANYWAY, everyone this new company is interested has had interviews and gotten offer letters - including myself. I sent my letter back 2 weeks ago, and have heard nothing. Im getting really antsy. I've called their human resources department 4 times and left messages, and still gotten nowhere. Being that I signed and returned my offer letter, I'm assuming I cannot go looking for a job. Im really hurting right now. Unemployment kicked in 3 days ago, after being off work for three weeks. My wife was DENIED unemployement, saying it was my choice to move. So, now we're both unemployed, and I'm going nuts. Its deja vu, Im getting depressed, staying awake all night and sleeping a little during the day.

Business is a harsh world.

I understand there are a lot people worse off than us, I just feel overwhelmed. Thanks for looking. [/vent]
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I wish there were words of encouragement for you but it has to be a gut wrenching time that will only be resolved when you find out what is going on with the new company. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get things going quickly.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I don't know what the laws are in the U.S. If they offered you a position and you sent it back accepting, are you not employed? Perhaps they just need more time to sort out all the mess. It makes no sense that they would send you a written offer and then not hire you...that makes it a binding contract of some sort does it not? If you did accept the offer, why are you not able to find work elsewhere? Since when does accepting one offer prevent you from looking for and accepting another better offer? I live in Canada. I assume it would be very similar in the U.S. I'm free to accept whatever job I can get and quit whatever job I want at any time. Why wouldn't you be able to look for another job?

Anyway, things will work out somehow. Business can get very messy and the little people like us are always left out of the loop...I hear ya though, the business world can suck large and it seems like honest hard-working people are always the ones who get stiffed. Stay positive and keep looking for a better opportunity, one will come along if you keep at it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hang in there...I'm sorry for the hard times. It sucks! I can remember doing the stressed out not sleeping at night and being exhausted all day and napping thing...It was a long time ago after a very bad relationship - but you don't forget that feeling. I hope things get better really fast..

Vent anytime here! We may be of little help but we listen.
    Model Citizen, Zero Discipline

"***"...now please take off my VanHalen t-shirt, before you jinx the band and they break up..." (The wedding singer)"

*Thanks SNIC for my AWESOME new avatar!*

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EVHgirl in Va View Post
    I can remember doing the stressed out not sleeping at night and being exhausted all day and napping thing...It was a long time ago after a very bad relationship - but you don't forget that feeling.
    That's Exactly what I'm talking about, I was going through the same exact thing.

Thank you to those above for the words of encouragement.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    I don't know what the laws are in the U.S. If they offered you a position and you sent it back accepting, are you not employed? Perhaps they just need more time to sort out all the mess. It makes no sense that they would send you a written offer and then not hire you...that makes it a binding contract of some sort does it not? If you did accept the offer, why are you not able to find work elsewhere? Since when does accepting one offer prevent you from looking for and accepting another better offer? I live in Canada. I assume it would be very similar in the U.S. I'm free to accept whatever job I can get and quit whatever job I want at any time. Why wouldn't you be able to look for another job?
    Thats the thing, I dont know WHEN. The new store is not set up yet, (rumored to open in early January) and the existing are too small to run large loads out of. I sent back my offer letter, and during an interview, I was told they wanted me aboard. I took signing the offer letter as a contract to keep me from searching out other jobs.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Again this is coming from a Canadian but you should be OK to look for work or get another job.

Same thing happened to me. I accepted an offer on April 15. Verbally I was told that the job would start on May 1st. May 1st comes along and they don't reply to my messages. I went and got another job by May 15. I was nice enough to call the first place and tell them that I found something else. They were saying they were going to take me to court as I signed an offer letter. I went to a lawyer and he told me there's nothing they can do.

1. They broke a verbal agreement by not contacting and starting me by May 1

2. There was no start date on the offer letter and unless there is a start date and you don't show up - there's nothing they can do.

Check you offer letter. If it has a start date then they should be paying you by then.
    If there is no start date then you are free to look for another job.

To me it sounds like the company is still trying to get set up and you are stuck in the middle. They don't want to hire anyone and start paying them until they have everything set up.

Best of luck to you.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Terribly sorry to hear about what's going on man.

I know this is coming from a young guy who hasn't even experienced anything EVEN CLOSE to what you are going through now but.....keep your head up man
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I hope your situation turns around quickly for you. It seems I'm hearing more and more stories like yours, truly sad.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

a lot of companies have found their business plans derailed by the banking disaster of 2008....it may be taking them time to rearrange their financing.

Unless I am missing something, it sounds as though you are not represented by a union. If your letter does not have a start date, I would suggest that you continue to look for work, only because I believe that in this economy, you have to be proactive and protective of your own interests.

At the very least, you may make some business contacts, and who knows, you may actually find something that you like better..stanger things have been known to happen

Last Online

01.11.09 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Your situation

Your situation is not uncommon as far as a somewhat informal offer being made and then the prospective employer taking their sweet time getting back to you.
    I've worked for attorneys for years. I'll tell you exactly what they would first ask you. Have you sent them a letter yet?
    Your letter needs to say " on ________, 2008, I interviewed with ____________ and I received the company's offer letter dated ______ (see attached). I have called/emailed x times and have yet to receive a return call or email. I gladly accept the offer for the position of ___________, but I can not wait much longer for a response from your company. I understand that the company is currently in flux, but if I do not receive a call from you (or email) by the close of business on November ___, 2008, I will be forced to seek employment opportunities elsewhere. I hope to hear from you very soon. My phone no is __________ and my email is ___________.Sincerely,

If I were you, I would fax it so you have a receipt of delivery. Or if you don't have their fax no, just send it by certified mail == it won't take any longer than regular mail. I truly hope this helps.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so ....

no job eh?

how's it feel now not to have a social safety net to fall upon? hows trickle down economics workin out down there? your 401k dissapear too when the banks pissed it away on gambling on UNREGULATED securities? hows the american free trade agreement working out for you now that we can ship all our lumber down to you guys with no tarrifs (actually some were put back on but we are getting most of that paid back)?

you will be fine. you guys made the right presidential choice. hopefully you can stop some of the right wing stupidity, like giving away all your jobs, trading away your soverignty to poorer nations like us and actually look at your taxes not as redistribution of wealth (all taxes are redistribution of wealth ... except that those taxed always get it back either as roadds, infrastructure, army, paying poor people not to rob you, etc) but an investement in your selves and your own society and values.

you may haveto take some interim jobs to make ends meet but you are young. you will kick up and git'er done.

i'm sure of it, americans always do.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

It also depends on the state you work in. Some states are "right to work" states, therefore your signed employment contract doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. They can release you at any time with no consequence in such states, but you can also leave at any time on your own accord as well.

If I were you I wouldn't wait. Go find another job, and if the current situation comes to fruition and you have a job with your old/current company, go back to it.

The lack of loyalty in my humble opinion goes both ways. Employers are no longer very loyal to employees, therefore most people should consider themselves a free agent and take the best oppotunity available.

Just don't give up, you aren't down and out until you quit trying. Know it sounds cheesy, but it's the truth.

I keep this in my office:

He failed in business in '31.
    Defeated for State Legislature in '32.
    Failed in another business in '33.
    Fiance died in '35.
    Nervous breakdown in '36.
    Ran for Congress in '43 and was defeated.
    Ran again in '48 and was defeated.
    Ran for the Senate in '55 and lost.
    Ran for Vice President in '56 and lost.
    Ran for the Senate in '59 and lost.
    Then in 1860 Abraham Lincoln was elected the 16th President of the United States.

Perserverance my friend!!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OI812NU View Post
    Your situation is not uncommon as far as a somewhat informal offer being made and then the prospective employer taking their sweet time getting back to you.
    I've worked for attorneys for years. I'll tell you exactly what they would first ask you. Have you sent them a letter yet?
    Your letter needs to say " on ________, 2008, I interviewed with ____________ and I received the company's offer letter dated ______ (see attached). I have called/emailed x times and have yet to receive a return call or email. I gladly accept the offer for the position of ___________, but I can not wait much longer for a response from your company. I understand that the company is currently in flux, but if I do not receive a call from you (or email) by the close of business on November ___, 2008, I will be forced to seek employment opportunities elsewhere. I hope to hear from you very soon. My phone no is __________ and my email is ___________.Sincerely,

If I were you, I would fax it so you have a receipt of delivery. Or if you don't have their fax no, just send it by certified mail == it won't take any longer than regular mail. I truly hope this helps.

I understand your intent with such a letter and it is admirable to do so, but I wouldn't send it.

After such a letter they may rescind their offer to him. I would just go ahead and do something else. If they get back to him and it is better than what he is then doing, leave the new job and go back to the old one.

Not saying it is right or fair, but times are tough, employers are looking out for themselves first (with exceptions of course), employees should do the same.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyoneFtfty View Post
    I really dont this to come off the wrong way, but I would like to vent for a minute if I may.
    I started working for a lumber company in '99, just out of high school. I was happy, and over the following few years, worked my way up to driver. I loved it, the people I worked with were like my second family. In 2003, hard times fell upon the company, and they filed for bankruptcy. We were bought out by a roofing supply company, saving a dozen or so northeastern-region stores.
    Late 2007. Our management, in typical style, says nothing to anyone. All of the sudden, we have a meeting. They want to take three of our stores, and make a central distributing point, [for lumber,] 45 miles west of where I am. The others will stay open simply operating under our parent company, selling their product. Now, at the store I worked at, there were only two tractor-trailer drivers, myself and one other guy, who happened to live closer to this distribution plant. He was offered to go there. He refused, why, I don't know. (We didn't have an inkling of what was to come.)
    So, I took it. Commuting 45 minutes to work, what used to be 15, and spending $15.00 a week in tolls. No reimbursement. The only reason I took it is because I wanted to continue working with lumber. I have no interest or qualifications for running a crane truck, which would have been my fate, had I chosen to stay.
    Fast forward to August 2008, I move to another county, 15 minutes closer to work, and without the tolls. My wife quits her job to move for my 'transfer.'
    It was not worth a 90 minute drive for her.
    Another meeting happens, this time, our parent company wants out. They have no interest or knowledge in lumber anymore (the latter, they admitted immediately upon aquiring us.) Our buildings, trucks, and 20 some odd acres of land go up for sale. If no one buys us, by August 31st, it's game over. Serveral strong prospective buyers tour our yard, but its too dilapidated, needing several millions in repairs. We were told to keep our confidence high, a good chance that another lumber company had a strong interest in us. August 31st came and went. Not a word. Two weeks later, September 10th, the phone rings. Deal didn't go through. In the next 4 hours, 60% of our entire staff was out on the street. The rest of us were kept on for the clean up crew. I lost my job in mid-October. HOWEVER, the strongest prospect for buying our place managed to get everything but the land. There's some deal worked out that they bought our customers and sorted out the employees they wanted. They bought land across the street, and are opening a distribution center much like the one we had.
    ANYWAY, everyone this new company is interested has had interviews and gotten offer letters - including myself. I sent my letter back 2 weeks ago, and have heard nothing. Im getting really antsy. I've called their human resources department 4 times and left messages, and still gotten nowhere. Being that I signed and returned my offer letter, I'm assuming I cannot go looking for a job. Im really hurting right now. Unemployment kicked in 3 days ago, after being off work for three weeks. My wife was DENIED unemployement, saying it was my choice to move. So, now we're both unemployed, and I'm going nuts. Its deja vu, Im getting depressed, staying awake all night and sleeping a little during the day.

Business is a harsh world.

I understand there are a lot people worse off than us, I just feel overwhelmed. Thanks for looking. [/vent]
    I know EXACTLY how you feel, man. I was outta steady work for almost TWO YEARS. I'm so thankful I have a full-time gig again but I'm not sure I'll ever completely recover from that period of unemployment time. Hang in there, man. Things will work out eventually, just try to keep your wits about you and, as hard as it may seem, get some rest. My thoughts and prayers are with ya...

-B
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06