Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Circuit City to close 155 stores by end of year

Circuit City to close 155 stores by end of year

By MICHAEL FELBERBAUM – 36 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Circuit City Stores Inc. said Monday it is closing about 20 percent of its U.S. stores — cutting thousands of jobs — in an effort to return the nation's No. 2 consumer electronics retailer to profitability.

The Richmond, Va.-based company said it will shutter 155 of its more than 700 stores in 55 markets, including Phoenix and Atlanta, by Dec. 31, laying off about 17 percent of its domestic work force. Circuit City also said it will further reduce new store openings and plans to work with landlords to renegotiate leases, lower rent or terminate agreements.

The move comes as Circuit City heads into a crucial holiday shopping season that could determine its future, amid slower consumer spending that has even the least vulnerable retailers worried.

"The weakened environment has resulted in a slowdown of consumer spending, further impacting our business as well as the business of our vendors," James A. Marcum, vice chairman and acting president and chief executive officer said in a statement. "The combination of these trends has strained severely our working capital and liquidity."

Marcum called the decision to close stores "difficult, but necessary."

Based on nearly 43,000 employees as of Feb. 29, 17 percent could be up to about 7,300 workers. But the company said the number would likely be lower in part because employees in some markets may become employed at other stores. It would not give further details.

Circuit City shares rose 14 cents, or about 54 percent, to 40 cents in early trading Monday.

The company said it expects the stores it is shuttering, which generated about $1.4 billion in net sales in fiscal 2008, will not open on Tuesday and store closing sales will begin on Wednesday.

Circuit City spokesman Bill Cimino said the decision to exit 12 markets was based on store performance rather than for competitive reasons.

"There are some markets where we have more competitors, there are some markets where we have less competitors, in all, we're closing 155 stores that were underperforming," Cimino said. "We're taking this action because we're doing this for the future of the company."

Circuit City also provided updates on other aspects of its business, including restrictive actions taken by vendors, including limiting credit for purchases. But the company said while it is working to secure support from vendors, the "current mix of terms and credit availability is becoming unmanageable for the company."

It also said it has been unable to collect an income tax refund of about $80 million that Circuit City believes it is owed from the federal government.

The company has had only one profitable quarter in the past year, posting a wider second-quarter loss in September with a 13 percent decline in sales at stores open at least a year. Its results have weakened as the company faces significant declines in traffic, heightened competition from rival Best Buy Co. and others and a weakened brand position.

Circuit City, which is reviewing its operations while exploring strategic alternatives, has been working with advisers to determine how to substantially improve its operating and financial performance.

The company said last week that the New York Stock Exchange has warned it that its stock price is not high enough for continued listing.

The NYSE said Circuit City shares had an average closing price of less than $1 over 30 consecutive trading days as of Oct. 22, falling short of the exchange's requirement. Its shares have closed under a dollar in trading since Sept. 30, when they closed at 76 cents. Shares have traded between 17 cents and $8.24 in the last year.

In order to regain compliance with the NYSE, Circuit City's common stock share price and the average share price over a consecutive 30-trading-day period must both exceed $1 within six months following receipt of the notice.

A major Circuit City shareholder — Classic Fund Management AG, a Liechtenstein-based asset management company — also said in a regulatory filing last week that it cut its holdings to 8.2 million shares, or about 4.8 percent, from 9.5 million shares, or 5.6 percent. It did not disclose a reason for the change.

Circuit City has been under new leadership since late September when Chief Executive Philip J. Schoonover agreed to step down. He was replaced by Marcum, who was tapped to oversee Circuit City's multiyear turnaround efforts.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

The 155 stores Circuit City Stores Inc. said it will close by Dec. 31:

ALABAMA:

_ Anniston, Trussville

ARKANSAS:

_ Fayetteville

ARIZONA:

_ Avondale, Chandler, Gilbert, Goodyear, Mesa (2), Peoria, Phoenix (4), Queen Creek, Scottsdale

CALIFORNIA:

_ City of Industry, Compton, Concord, Dublin, Escondido, Fairfield, Fontana, Foothill Ranch, Fremont, Merced, Mira Loma, Moreno Valley, Morgan Hill, Murrieta, Palo Alto, Pittsburg, Pomona, Richmond, Riverside, San Rafael, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Thousand Oaks, Vista

COLORADO:

_ Colorado Springs, Northglenn, Parker

CONNECTICUT:

_ Orange

FLORIDA:

_ Jacksonville (2), Naples, Orlando, Panama City, Tallahassee, Vero Beach

GEORGIA:

_ Acworth, Alpharetta, Atlanta (4), Bogart, Buford, Conyers, Cumming, Douglasville, Duluth, Hiram, Kennesaw, Macon, Morrow, Newnan, Snellville, Warner Robins

ILLINOIS:

_ Arlington Heights, Batavia, Bloomingdale, Bolingbrook, Calumet City, Chicago, Countryside, Crystal Lake, Joliet, Zurich, Niles, Oswego, South Barrington, Vernon Hills

INDIANA:

_ Clarksville, Indianapolis, Lafayette, South Bend

KANSAS:

_ Lenexa, Overland Park

KENTUCKY:

_ Lexington, Louisville, Paducah

LOUISANA:

_ Baton Rouge, Kenner, Marrero, Slidell

MARYLAND:

_ Baltimore, Beltsville, Marlow Heights

MICHIGAN:

_ Auburn Hills, Bloomfield, Dearborn, Jackson, Muskegon, Pontiac, Rochester Hills

MISSOURI:

_ Ferguson, Independence, Kansas City (2)

MISSISSIPPI:

_ Tupelo

NORTH CAROLINA:

_ Charlotte

NEW JERSEY:

_ Freehold, Livingston

NEVADA:

_ Sparks

NEW YORK:

_ Bay Shore, Bronx, Brooklyn, Holbrook, Lake Grove, Massapequa, New York, West Nyack

OHIO:

_ Brooklyn, Cincinnati, Columbus (2), Cuyahoga Falls, Elyria, Garfield Heights, Grove City, Mansfield, Mayfield Heights, Mentor

OKLAHOMA:

_ Norman, Oklahoma City

TENNESSEE:

_ Antioch, Collierville, Memphis, Spring Hill

TEXAS:

_ Burleson, Cedar Park, Dallas, Houston, League City, Mansfield, McKinney, Sherman, Temple

VIRGINIA:

_ Charlottesville, Manassas, McLean

WASHINGTON:

_ Federal Way

WISCONSIN:

_ Milwaukee

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I've heard (on fat wallet) the liquidation company will have prices at 50% off when they close them down. I live in Phoenix and pretty much all of them are shutting down. May be time for a plasma, only good plasmas they have are Samsungs, so I don't know, I was looking at Pioneer or Panny, but at 50% off, I'll probably take it and run.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

I saw this on the news this morning. It appears that they are shutting most/if not all of their stores in California.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

No big shock they've been dying for years.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Seems they go through some sort of comapny reorganization every couple of years, yet nothing quite like this. I still say that the whole Car Max debacle back in the 90's was the beginning of the end.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Mainly interesting for me because I've been shopping for a plasma. Main thing that concerns me is if something goes wrong, I won't have a local store, have to deal with it via mail, or drive to Tuscon. I can always deal with the manufacturer, but that's a pain too.

Out of the ones at circuit city, I'd get the Samsung pn58a650 plasma, they have random shutdown problems, apparently something with a power supply relay. If I get a dud, it would be a problem.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I've heard (on fat wallet) the liquidation company will have prices at 50% off when they close them down. I live in Phoenix and pretty much all of them are shutting down. May be time for a plasma, only good plasmas they have are Samsungs, so I don't know, I was looking at Pioneer or Panny, but at 50% off, I'll probably take it and run.

They have Toshibas as well. I don't know how you feel about Toshiba, but I have had a 50 in. plasma for three years now and it's been great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    No big shock they've been dying for years.
    I find it shocking! They just renovated the Pasadena store and it looks fantastic - comparable to Best Buy!

But I know these things come in cycles, after all Circuit City gobbled up The Good Guys and they couldn't make it after several revisions, either.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    They have Toshibas as well. I don't know how you feel about Toshiba, but I have had a 50 in. plasma for three years now and it's been great.
    No fading issues?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

In any case, I'm gonna go check out a couple stores today, see what they have.

If you wanna get in on it, go look today, they are all gonna be closed tomorrow, and reopen Wednesday with the sale. I feel kinda bad going there and looking while all these people are gonna lose their jobs, and its not their fault really, just sucks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Haven't really looked into those. Mainly been looking at Pioneer, Sammy, and Panny. I'll look at those while I'm there today.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    No fading issues?
    Nope, nothing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed, Circuit City has been on a downward slope for years. It seems to be going the way of the K-mart in the town where I live. Best-Buy is the Walmart of the electronic industry and it's just beating down all the Circuit City stores where I live.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

I can't tell you when the last time I was actually in a Circuit City.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.