Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Lessons learned on the Jamie guitar

Here's a few thing on finishing that I had learned on the Jamie guitar:

1) If you are going to letter anything, take the time to make a high-quality stencil and use paint. The lacquer is popping off on the letters, but this does make for a quick "relic". I am actually a bit sad that this guitar is looking a bit relic'd in it's short life.

2) If you do go with the vinyl letter route, use high-quality, thin vinyl from a sign shoppe. Probably the best way to do vinyl letters is ON TOP of the lacquer. The sharp edges from the die-cut letters are contributing to the lacquer popping off of the letters. But the lacquer shrinkage is making this happen, as well...

3) Preparation is KEY in making a high-quality finish, no exceptions. Which brings me to the next one...

4) Use ONLY high-quality materials to finish, unless you are okay with your work looking beat-up in a quick amount of time. Behlen's, ReRanch, or even Stew-Mac products are much better than Minwax and Deft. I probably could have prevented some of the lacquer popping up had I just used GOOD stuff. Two cans of good stuff would have buried those letters and striping.

5) Patience is key! I could have gotten a higher-quality finish had I used a bit of patience. But since I had screwed up not masking the body whilst re-binding, as well as a few other rookie mistakes, I got what I put into it.

By no means am I saying that the Jamie guitar was a failure, as I love this guitar!!! I know she was a factory-second from the lifted binding, the wrong-size/position cavity cover, etc. The trial-and-error way in which she was finished is definitely in the spirit of our favourite guitar player and DIY-extraordinaire Eddie Van Halen. She plays like a mofo, and she still looks cool. But I would have liked her pristine for a teeny bit longer, that's all. Most of her nicks are earned, but the road-weary look is coming on pretty strong early in her life from these strange phenoms.

Make certain whether you are finishing a classic or making a Frankenstein that you exhibit patience and research what you're doing to the point where you could recite the knowlege. But maybe the best way to learn IS to screw up on something (lke I have).
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Here's a few thing on finishing that I had learned on the Jamie guitar:

1) If you are going to letter anything, take the time to make a high-quality stencil and use paint. The lacquer is popping off on the letters, but this does make for a quick "relic". I am actually a bit sad that this guitar is looking a bit relic'd in it's short life.

2) If you do go with the vinyl letter route, use high-quality, thin vinyl from a sign shoppe. Probably the best way to do vinyl letters is ON TOP of the lacquer. The sharp edges from the die-cut letters are contributing to the lacquer popping off of the letters. But the lacquer shrinkage is making this happen, as well...

3) Preparation is KEY in making a high-quality finish, no exceptions. Which brings me to the next one...

4) Use ONLY high-quality materials to finish, unless you are okay with your work looking beat-up in a quick amount of time. Behlen's, ReRanch, or even Stew-Mac products are much better than Minwax and Deft. I probably could have prevented some of the lacquer popping up had I just used GOOD stuff. Two cans of good stuff would have buried those letters and striping.

5) Patience is key! I could have gotten a higher-quality finish had I used a bit of patience. But since I had screwed up not masking the body whilst re-binding, as well as a few other rookie mistakes, I got what I put into it.

By no means am I saying that the Jamie guitar was a failure, as I love this guitar!!! I know she was a factory-second from the lifted binding, the wrong-size/position cavity cover, etc. The trial-and-error way in which she was finished is definitely in the spirit of our favourite guitar player and DIY-extraordinaire Eddie Van Halen. She plays like a mofo, and she still looks cool. But I would have liked her pristine for a teeny bit longer, that's all. Most of her nicks are earned, but the road-weary look is coming on pretty strong early in her life from these strange phenoms.

Make certain whether you are finishing a classic or making a Frankenstein that you exhibit patience and research what you're doing to the point where you could recite the knowlege. But maybe the best way to learn IS to screw up on something (lke I have).
    I believe the key word in all you just said was "patience."

The earliest guitar projects I started are still the ones sitting incomplete, simply because I've had to spend ample time RE-doing a lot of what I'd done quickly but not carefully.

Ambition is always good, just remember to exercise patience and not do finishes on the cheap.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know one reason why I became a bit impatient on this project, as the veneer was popping off of the wood whilst I was dyeing the top. That, along with the binding falling off kinda made me say "screw it!".

Next one I do will be a fair bit better. I will exhibit much more patience this next time around.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!