Register
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.02.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Default Marshall amp makes popping noise

with my main head being temporarily down I've thought about fixing my Marshall VS265 that I haven't used in a while to use as a backup. I quit using it because it started making loud popping noises while it's on. Any ideas what is causing that? I'm about to take it apart and just see if there are any loose connections/solderings.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

"To not be heard is to not exist"

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Nevermind.... I opened up the Marshall and it has a tube in it... didn't know a valvestate had a tube (which was a peavey tube???? in a marshall amp)... had an old ass amp laying around I've had for years... took a tube out of it, same kind, and put it in the marshall.. works great now! cool.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Webbed1 View Post
    Nevermind.... I opened up the Marshall and it has a tube in it... didn't know a valvestate had a tube (which was a peavey tube???? in a marshall amp)... had an old ass amp laying around I've had for years... took a tube out of it, same kind, and put it in the marshall.. works great now! cool.
    Neither did I. I liked the valvestates tone a lot more then the MG series. Maybe that is why.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the sound of insulator failure on shit Chink preamp tubes.

The Valvestates get compression from one or two preamp tubes. You'll have to replace them.

I had a VS100, for like 2 weeks. What a boat anchor!

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Here's my dilemna now. I bought a new GT 12AT7 to replace the one in the Marshall because the old one is well... old. Turn on the amp and it makes a bassy "weeeeeeuuuuuuump" in the tube warm-up stage, has more hum than before and when I run something in the loop effect it distorts all out. So I put the old ass tube back in and it works fine. The questions I have are:

1. Does the new tube need to "break in" before it reaches it's performing stage?

2. Pre-amp tubes don't need to be biased, correct?

3. And, I don't have a manual for this amp so... In the back of the amp it has L and R direct outs and L and R Ext. speaker outs. How would I run out to a cabinet or two? Right now I'm going both L and R out from Ext's to a cabinet. Sounds fine, just don't want to damage either piece. When I run two cabs I just run R to one cab and L to the other. I just want to make sure this is safe.

4. Last thing.... for now My effects loop on the amp doesn't come out in stereo like my Line6 does. Is it not possible to have this amp in stereo?

Just trying to learn how things work. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Webbed1; 11.15.08 at 06:59 AM.
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new GT 12AT7 to replace the one in the Marshall because the old one is well... old. Turn on the amp and it makes a bassy "weeeeeeuuuuuuump" in the tube warm-up stage, has more hum than before and when I run something in the loop effect it distorts all out. So I put the old ass tube back in and it works fine. The questions I have are:
    Any reason why you got a 12AT7? Is that what was originally in the amp? If not, the 12AT7 has a rather different sound and gain level than a 12AX7. I have no idea what the schematic of your amp looks like, but using a different tube could make it sound funky...

Also, if you have another preamp tube like the original, try it. You new one could just be a bad tube.

1. Does the new tube need to "break in" before it reaches it's performing stage?
    No. It may VERY SLIGHTLY change in sound over time, but a preamp tube should work fine out of the box.

2. Pre-amp tubes don't need to be biased, correct?
    Correct.

4. Last thing.... for now My effects loop on the amp doesn't come out in stereo like my Line6 does. Is it not possible to have this amp in stereo?
    If the amp doesn't have a stereo effects loop, then it just doesn't. It is as simple as that.

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

The original tube was a Peavey 12AT7 so I got another AT7 (groove tube) instead of an AX7. Still couldn't figure out why a Peavey tube was in a Marshall amp originally.
    How do you know if the effects loop is stereo or not? It has a send and a return like any other effects loop I've seen.
    I do have an old Mullard AX7, so maybe I'll slap that one in there and see what happens when I hit the power button
    \m/ Roll Tide \m/

Check out my MUSIC

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Yes. Throw that Mullard in there and you'll probably be happily surprised.

I have an older Marshall AVT50 that I swapped out the stock Marshall tube, which I think is some Chinese made thing. Put in an old, old 1942 Knight Mullard 12AX7 and that really brought that thing to life.

I had also tried an old Mullard 12AT7 in it... that gave it a good boost in the high mids but was muddy in the low end. The Mullard 12AX7 really cleaned it up nicely for hybrid amp.

The effects loop on those Marshalls is mono... 1 signal in (send), 1 signal out (return). I'd suggest playing around with it. Some effects just work better in-line between the guitar and amp, like distortion pedals and phasers. Delays and choruses sound better in the loop to my ears.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com