8 28.57%
    Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Artificial ageing (a.k.a. relic'ing): lame or cool?

Obviously, with a Frankenstein or SRV replica, artificial ageing is requisite; however, sometimes I have seen examples of "relic'ing" taken too far. I am exempting well-done replicas of Frankensteins and SRV's from my opinion.

I admit to a bit of artificial ageing on my "Jamie" guitar, as for one thing, I don't smoke anymore, but in the spirit of Eddie, it has to have burn marks in the peghead using REAL fags. I always let fags burn on the peghead, as that's just how I always did it. I have wiped over some screws with a super-secret solution to add a bit of patina, but the fretboard and the neck are getting nice and dirty with absolutely NO assistance. Her lacquer got it's first honest-to-goodness ding, and belt buckle rash is coming on strong. In short, I am playing the crap out of her.

I have been "relic'ing" parts for a very long time. I remember when you could not buy "aged" white plastic parts for a Strat. Brand-new white knobs on a yellowed, white pick guard always looked goofy. So, out came the Rit dye (Golden Harvest Yellow) to make things match. But this thing where the guitar is purposely looking like it was dragged behind a truck is silly. If you play an instrument and gig with it, it will look whooped in no time.

While a road-worn, geniuinely beat-up guitar looks cool, one "relic'd" with a belt sander, canned air (to make the lacquer "check"), and generally looking like it was intended to be beat up looks frankly artificial.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by bunnyman; 10.27.08 at 04:45 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Like you said, if it's meant to replicate a Frankie or SRV then obviously it must be done and it is cool. Otherwise, yeah, it's just giving a well-traveled look to a guitar that's not well-traveled. Which IMO is pretty lame.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Silliest "relic" played by a famous person:

the John Mayer Strat.

He's not obviously old enough to have a guitar that beat up and him being the one to do it. Nobody would buy a guitar that is old enough to be road-worn like that and gig with it, as it's an investment at that point.
    Last edited by bunnyman; 10.27.08 at 05:00 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Silliest "relic" played by a famous person:

the John Mayer Strat.

He's not obviously old enough to have a guitar that beat up and him being the one to do it. Nobody would buy a guitar that is old enough to be road-worn like that and gig with it, as it's an investment at that point.
    LOL. Never thought about that...but it's SO true!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Like most on here, I get the relic thing if you're making a replica of a famous guitar, but I can't abide the current trend of guitars out there that look hammered to shit with crap paint and fake rust. Gimme a break. I see these kids buying and oggling 'em and I even told one, tell you what man...save yourself a couple hundred bucks on the relicing, buy a standard Strat, and leave it with me for a day. I'll get it looki'n used up for a case of Heineken! To me theres nothing like an instrument looking it's age naturally. My guitars except for my relic Frankie which I stated earlier is kind of part of the deal, have earned all their dings, rust, and wear. Even my Frankie is fitted with parts I've used for years prior, like the OG Floyd, and the pickup is an old modified PAF, before PAF's were worth your house. I have heard rumours that Marshall is contemplating getting in on the relic thing with a relic Plexi. Please god, no!!!!! The closest I will ever get to buying anything "worn" new, was my Faded SG, but that was because of the satin finish, and lack of binding. It plays fantastic, so there was a practical reason for buying it. Not to look like Kenny Wayne Sheppard, or John Mayer.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default Freedom !

It's all about what makes you happy. I get where the whole relic thing could be viewed as lame. With that said, it's all up to the owner of the axe!
    If it makes someone happy and they're willing to pay for that look, than more power to them. Music is freedom of expression. Who the hell and I to tell anyone how their guitar should look. In my book, it's just awesome that you love the damn guitar to begin with. Rawk on !!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Okay, I guess if someone wants to spend their money on an artificially aged instrument, it's their money...

Do I think it's fuckin' lame, you betcha!!!

If someone is a hardcore SRV fan, for example, and wants a REPLICA of his favorite guitar, that's a different story...

I like the relic look like the Jimi Hendrix Marshall stack. I think it's cool using the old coverings for the cabinets, etc... but don't make it look used. Let me have it and naturally age it.

It's total poseur to have the aged look without "earning your stripes"... That's like buying a brand new pair of jeans and slicing them up to look worn out...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

while i do enjoy seeing aged replicas i have to agree with a lot of people that "if its not earned it it aint worth it", i have built several guitars myself and relic'd just one, my 84 kramer, i bought this guitar new and have played the shit out of it for years and it was covered in dents and scrapes etc so i decided to paint it up and give it a new lease of life, and for a while i thought it was great but started to miss its unique battle scars, so i did a bit of a relic job on it, nothing major, but enough to make people realise that it really is a 28yr old guitar, as for all my others i let them age naturally, with playing bars n pubs and the odd outdoor gig (when the weathers good in england!) my gibson mIII is coming along nicely and i've only stood on it twice and dropped it a couple of times.....as for my army of strats, well they're timeless so why bother, they'll age in their own time.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    while i do enjoy seeing aged replicas i have to agree with a lot of people that "if its not earned it it aint worth it", i have built several guitars myself and relic'd just one, my 84 kramer, i bought this guitar new and have played the shit out of it for years and it was covered in dents and scrapes etc so i decided to paint it up and give it a new lease of life, and for a while i thought it was great but started to miss its unique battle scars, so i did a bit of a relic job on it, nothing major, but enough to make people realise that it really is a 28yr old guitar, as for all my others i let them age naturally, with playing bars n pubs and the odd outdoor gig (when the weathers good in england!) my gibson mIII is coming along nicely and i've only stood on it twice and dropped it a couple of times.....as for my army of strats, well they're timeless so why bother, they'll age in their own time.
    Yours is a tasteful relic job, and goes with the age of the guitar. Modern Strats take a long time to age, but they age in a very unique way compared to their older counterparts. Of course you could relic a guitar to it's untimely death in an outdoor gig in England! I don't miss the rain...

What irked me was seeing John Mayer with his combo Blackie and SRV #1. Just looks silly on him. Of course I will NOT hide the fact that I think John Mayer is a tosser!!!

On the subject of relics: I did see that it is now popular to "relic" newly built hot rod cars. That, my friends is SILLY.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=SLEEPER5150;1055478] To me theres nothing like an instrument looking it's age naturally. My guitars except for my relic Frankie which I stated earlier is kind of part of the deal, have earned all their dings, rust, and wear. Even my Frankie is fitted with parts I've used for years prior, like the OG Floyd, and the pickup is an old modified PAF, before PAF's were worth your house. I have heard rumours that Marshall is contemplating getting in on the relic thing with a relic Plexi. Please god, no!!!!!QUOTE]

I generally re-use lots of parts between guitar projects, so sometimes, I concede to relic'ing, mainly to match the cosmetic condition of all of the hardware. Some of Jamie has used parts, including the Duncan Custom/Custom, and the Floyd nut is recycled. I do admit that the finish will look like a road warrior quickly because of how thin it is.

Even a modified PAF is worth a few $$$. I tried buying a "dead" PAF, and it was going to cost me a mint.

I hope Marshall doesn't do the relic thing. Frankly, ten gigs will make a showroom new Marshall look like a battle-scarred veteran. Tolex generally gets ripped quickly, and if you don't ever use furniture polish on the tolex, it will look old quickly. Spill a beer on the grille cloth and it will definitely look aged LOL.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ten gigs will fuck up gear? What do i need to do to ensure fast(er) aging of my frankenstein?
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found that ten gigs will fuck up just about anything if you do NOT take care of it. Your results may vary, but it seems like ten gigs is the breaking point of gear starting to look pretty bad.

Without further adieu, here is the bunnyman guide to quick relics.

How to fuck up your gear within ten gigs:

1) Don't use a case OR a gig bag

2) Treat your gear like what it really is- a tool, not a family heirloom

3) Open a case in a warm room after it has been in the cold, not letting the case and guitar warm to room temperature

4) Let other people handle your gear

5) Pay absolutely NO attention to whether or not corners clear walls, etc.

6) NEVER wipe down anything

7) Play the cymbals on your drummer's kit with your body AND peghead (just make certain you're okay with replacing your drummer's expensive crash cymbals, or buy a cheap and ugly crash cymbal for that purpose)

8) Disregard a good means to keep your guitar secured to your strap, and don't settle on a means to secure your guitar to a strap immediately

9) Smoke lots and lots of cigarettes. This will age your lungs, as well

10) Drink lots and lots of booze- as you will likely disregard all common sense when handling your gear, including spilling your booze on the guitar.

Yes, some of what I said was in jest; however, it all is true.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need someone to do the important vote number 25.